Portraits for Nobody

Can anybody tell me how you would change the portrait of or add a portrait to a non-NPC character?

I want to give my pseudo dragon a face. :cool:

I've tried editing the .cre file with Shadowkeeper but when I restart the game there's still no pic when I talk to him. I wasn't sure I was editing the right one, so I went in and edited the one for Alatos (the thief captain in the BG thieves' guild) because I was close to him and could talk to him. But that didn't seem to work either.

Is there a trick to this? How do you know which .cre corresponds to which character in game? And how do you get the game to look for a new picture?

You need to copy the small portrait to the override or portraits directory in the right format (38x60 8-bit bitmap, 8-character filename maximum) then assign it at 0x34 on the CRE. All the CREs are named as they are in the game - it's a bit easier to find them in DLTCEP than NI since you can have the name appear next to the CRE name. If you've already met the CRE (and especially if it's in your party) you might have to edit the CRE in your saved game(s).

You need to copy the small portrait to the override or portraits directory in the right format (38x60 8-bit bitmap, 8-character filename maximum) then assign it at 0x34 on the CRE. All the CREs are named as they are in the game - it's a bit easier to find them in DLTCEP than NI since you can have the name appear next to the CRE name. If you've already met the CRE (and especially if it's in your party) you might have to edit the CRE in your saved game(s).

Yeah, I think that was the problem. I edited the dragon in my savegame and figured out that the reason the Alatos edit wasn't taking was because I was standing right next to him when I did the reload. The game had, apparently, already assigned him an image and changing the CRE didn't change it. It works just fine, though, on people who are in a different map.

Thanks for your help!

Archived