'mercenary' mod?

Lemernis

Just a mod concept that I'll throw out to anyone with modding skills who may be interested.

This mod would give the option of responses to questgivers that are motivated neither by good or evil, but rather along the lines of "I'm in it strictly for the money, let's negotiate a price." There would be the option to either a) bypass negotiations and perform the task for good or evil reasons, or b) haggle over the fee.

Negotiation of the fee includes party's reputation, PC's Cha, alignment, and class-- and, ideally, history of past deeds. On this basis, in some cases more consideration is given to whether a quest is even offered to begin with.

* It is presumed that word on the street of the party's deeds precedes them. Athkatla at least is filled with spies and informants. Plus there's the usual gossip in a land of trade routes and caravans. The PC is renowned as the one who prevented the impending war between Amn and Baldur's Gate during the previous year's iron shortage to the north. And the legend of the PC's exploits would quickly grow locally, especially during chapter two.

* The mercenary fee amounts don't matter much. The player is soon swimming in cash anyway. The real reason for offering these options isn't money but more realistic roleplaying motivation for 'Neutral' types of characters.

* The PC's class, alignment, party reputation, charisma, and history of completed quests are all factored in. Having a NPC speak for the party does not mitigate the PC's comprehensive reputation.

* Quests that have already been completed may affect the availability of future quest opportunities, or the fee negotations for future quests. I realize this could get a bit complex, so it may apply only to a few instances. But if the party has gained a reputation for accomplishing particular types of jobs, they should be able to negotiate a higher fee.

Or in some cases, there may simply be repercussions to performing certain jobs.

For example, if you wipe out the temple of Talos in the cleric stronghold quest perhaps you later find that that a particular questgiver is a Tallassan. Naturally, he or she tells you to bugger off--the quest will not be made available. However, if Cha is high enough, or perhaps certain other quests have been performed, etc., you may be able to negotiate performing the quest as pennance (without financial reward).

* Certain classes may be favored for particular tasks. Just where it seems to make sense.

* In order to offset the increased flow of cash and moderate rep:

- A few select questgivers identify themslves as followers of faiths and request donations to the temple of their deity. Refusal to donate results in subtraction of one point to reputation.

* A few questgivers arranged within a faction system: Perhaps a few select questgivers are upset with you that you either helped their enemies or harmed their allies.

I lack the time in the day to learn how to mod to begin with. But you never know if an idea might strike a modder's fancy.

Guest Guest

That looks like a great mod, I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

It just occured to me that there ought to be an option to say to questgivers, "Sure, I'll do it for a fee--what's it worth to you?" rather than only the good and evil alignment motivation responses that are available.

It just occured to me that there ought to be an option to say to questgivers, "Sure, I'll do it for a fee--what's it worth to you?" rather than only the good and evil alignment motivation responses that are available.
There is that option in some of the quests. If you charge too much though, you might get a lesser reward or no rep bonus, or they might sod off entirely.

Archived