TOB FireGiant Spawn Crash

Guest Avatar1138

Guest Avatar1138

First off, a shout out to Ericp07, who seems to have run into many of the same problems I have faced with my OSX installation, and to devSin, who seems to have solved them all.

After partially botching my TOB install by installing the new versions of the fix & tweak packs without uninstalling the old ones, I tried uninstalling all mods and reinstalling the new fix & tweak packs. Things seemed to be moving along splendidly, until I got past the area with the merchant after killing Yaga-Shura's solders, tried to cross the river, and ran smack into the dreaded CGameEffect Assertion Failure.

Thanks to the testo.tp2 code posted by devSin, I have been able to trace the problem to the following:

GIAFIR.ITM bad effect index

GIAFIR2.ITM bad effect index

GIAFIR3.ITM bad effect index

GIANTS01.ITM bad effect index

KIYOBOW2.ITM bad effect index (Looks familiar, doesn't it?!?)

Unfortunately, after nearly a week of searching this forum and the web in general, I have been unable to locate the Fire Giant Crash fix .tp2 devSin references in a prior post. If someone would kindly post a working link to the Fire Giant Crash fix .tp2, I would be able to complete my first BG2 SoA ToB run through, and would be extremely grateful. :D:D

Download fixo.tp2 and run it the same as you would test-o (e.g., if weidu or weidu-mac is in your Baldur's Gate II folder, move the TP2 to your Baldur's Gate II folder and run `./weidu-mac fixo.tp2` in Terminal.app).

Afterward, the effects indexes will be retested, and you shouldn't get any files listed with a bad effects index. Assuming everything is successful, make sure to delete the contents of the "temp" folder (a folder named "0" will get created there and should be deleted), and then you can continue playing.

Guest Avatar1138

devSin, you rock!

Installed your fix, and now my game is right as rain, and I've just killed my first Fire Giant in 20 years. Thanks to you and the merry band of modders, programmers and BG2 enthusiasts, an old fart like me is able to enjoy a great game like this for the first time. As an original PnP DM going all the way back to the original 3 booklet set, I'm having a hoot reliving my DnD memories.

Now, if I can just figure out why my ass backward installation of the new fixpack changed all my +3 arrows into undroppable arrows of frost. . . .

Now, if I can just figure out why my ass backward installation of the new fixpack changed all my +3 arrows into undroppable arrows of frost. . . .
This will be some sort of "cross-installation" contamination. All the mod juggling seems to have left your files in a less-than-perfect state (AROW15 exists in a default ToB override but is actually the undroppable arrow of frost left over from BG/TotSC in the BIFF archive, so if the override file gets deleted, you end up with the old frost arrow).

If that's the only major problem you can see, you can go ahead and download this file and place it in your override folder (this is an unmodified version of the Arrow +3 from a default ToB install); your arrows should suck considerably less afterward. :-)

Guest Avatar1138

Again, devSin, many thanks!

I was having some other issues (bad guys would not turn red, those that turned red would not move or attack), so I figured that I would just uninstall all mods, reinstall, run the fix, and all would be well. Unfortunately, it seems all my mod juggling affected more than just my BG2 game. I must have near.infinity'd one too many files, or chmod +x one too many times at the wrong time, and scrambled the permissions on my Mac's hard drive, which led to repeated crashes.

After a day of disk repair, I reloaded the fixpack, installed your original arrow15.itm file in override, and presto, my undroppable frost arrows are now useful +3 arrows again. Everything seems to work fine, and the only ill effect of all of this is that Aerie do not seem to want to have my baby anymore. And I can certainly live with that!

Guest Guest_Fish_*
Again, devSin, many thanks!

I was having some other issues (bad guys would not turn red, those that turned red would not move or attack), so I figured that I would just uninstall all mods, reinstall, run the fix, and all would be well. Unfortunately, it seems all my mod juggling affected more than just my BG2 game. I must have near.infinity'd one too many files, or chmod +x one too many times at the wrong time, and scrambled the permissions on my Mac's hard drive, which led to repeated crashes.

After a day of disk repair, I reloaded the fixpack, installed your original arrow15.itm file in override, and presto, my undroppable frost arrows are now useful +3 arrows again. Everything seems to work fine, and the only ill effect of all of this is that Aerie do not seem to want to have my baby anymore. And I can certainly live with that!

What happened to the old Fixo.tp2 file? I can't seem to download it, and I've run into the exact same problem. Can anyone help with this?

Archived