BG2 Fixpack Corefixes increase loading time around 6 times

Guest Zogger

Guest Guest

Loadingtimes with new savegames aren't faster. Maybe there a some script routines which increases cpu usage but of course it might be the fault of Wine even I never had a problem with the standard game.

Guest Guest

Even starting a new game takes ages. Maybe patching doesn't work correctly in Wine. I have mentioned the error message, but I don't know and I don't have a Windows to recheck it.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Guest wiskas

I had the exactly same issue - with Fixpack core fixes loading, starting new game, clicking on menus, etc.. is several times slower. And biffing the override dir actually helped, maybe you just didn't its contents after biffing.

I had the exactly same issue - with Fixpack core fixes loading, starting new game, clicking on menus, etc.. is several times slower. And biffing the override dir actually helped, maybe you just didn't its contents after biffing.

I actually just tried the Fixpack today. I'm also a Wine user, and I had the exact same problems - EXTREMELY long loading times when I load a game (not when I enter a new area after that, though), and lag when selecting a character or clicking the spell icon. These are the problems I saw immediately; there are probably more. Since you already tried a new game, I'll take your word for it and skip it. Oh, well; maybe they'll fix it for Wine some day.

Guest leopardb
Report it as an issue in wine bugzilla if you want to see it fixed. Else it will just languish as "one of the things everybody knows do not work well".

No guarantee that anyone cares, of course, but it improves your odds...

wine 1.0.1/ubuntu jaunty/bg1 totsc 5512/bg2 tob 26498

And +1 here with the exact same problem.

At first i thought that maybe the amount of files in the override folder was the problem but

- BG2 with the fixpack has around 4000 files in the override folder and it takes ages

- BG2tutu (without the fixpack) has around 7000 files in the override folder and load times are normal and fast

So it seems it's not the amount of files. Now i had two override folders, one with the vanilla files, one with the fixpack files. I tried to see the influence of the fixpack files by adding by small steps the fixpack override files into my original override folder. And the result is : it's gradually becoming longer :worship: . So i couldn't isolate the files that are responsible. But i did it with groups of files, having no clue whatsoever what their uses are.

Does anybody have an idea how a savegame is loaded, what files are read during this process ? other thing is : is wine waiting for something or busy parsing the files ? in other words : timeout or cpu problem ?

As for the advice of filling a bug report in wine, well, i don't know exactly how i should put this : "the game is working perfectly, but then i modded it, still good, then i applied some community patch and now it's very slow to load games but works anyway". What are the chances that the guy in winehq tell me : "now, come, it's obviously related to your community thing, see that with them...".

So like the others here, i've got to play without the fixpack, or to assume the consequences of failed pickpocket attempts and lost people due to dragons or liches (because then, reload is not allowed).

A good thing would be to be able to isolate each of the core changes and apply it one by one (huge work alas) and see what's the problem. A hint is that applying baldurdash old fixes doesn't produce the slow effect...

Guest leopardb

Oh and i forgot to say something : thanks a lot for all your work for us players, that's a real great thing what you're doing, i hope i'll find a solution to be able to enjoy it ! :worship:

As for the advice of filling a bug report in wine, well, i don't know exactly how i should put this : "the game is working perfectly, but then i modded it, still good, then i applied some community patch and now it's very slow to load games but works anyway". What are the chances that the guy in winehq tell me : "now, come, it's obviously related to your community thing, see that with them...".

"Load times are much slower than in in windows." ... would be a good way to put it. The windows people aren't reporting this, after all. And (most of them) don't bite. Report it, and someone may find you a way to debug it.

Guest Spiff

I am experiencing the exact same. Game was running fine for about a week, the moment I installed the fix pack the loading time went up considerably.

I will try to make a new installation on an XP installation I got somewhere, and see if it gives better results when run with Wine.

Guest Spiff

Have done a lot of testing, but sadly I haven't really had any progress beyond what everyone else already are aware of.

I thought the slow down was caused by Wine not being able to run weidu flawlessly, but that is not the issue at all. It copies and merges the files just fine. I tried using files that were created on Windows XP with the exact same result.

I tried with various mods, it is only the Core fixes that makes the game slow. Overall a less responsive game (opening menus, clicking on "Cast spell", etc) , longer load times and a 1-2 second freeze when I select the main character. Notice that loading a new area is as fast as previously, the slow down only occurs when you load a new game. As someone else already tried, starting a new game fixes nothing.

Running the game from a terminal, I see absolutely no errors from Wine. This is rather strange, to be honest.

- What does the game load first? That is where the biggest slow down occurs.

- I just noticed there is no slow down when selecting the entire party. It happens only if you select the main char as the only one.

Archived