Several Major Problems . . .

After hearing about the G3 BG2Fixpack and how it was "the most comprehensive BG2 Fixpack on the web" and was the "culmination of the grand work started by baldurdash" I eagerly downloaded the official Bioware BG2 patch and then this one.

Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered several new issues with the game that did not go away with restarts, and did not previously appear when I only had Baldurdash installed.

(For your information, I am not using any mods other than than the G3 BG2Fixpack, and I do not have Throne of Bhaal installed.)

We'll start on the problems in order of increasing severity.

1. Despite having finished the "Sir Sarles" quest by obtaining BOTH the real Illithium and the Illithium Alloy from Jerlia, Jerlia still appears in the promenade and acts like she never gave me either in my savegames. To make things worse, she will give me infinite amounts of Illithium alloy as long as I pay her for each one!

2. After I rescued Viconia, I didn't have much use for her since I was playing a good-aligned character in a good-aligned party, so I dumped her. She went to the graveyard as normal, but after going to have her rejoin my party, she would then always say "I'm happy that you've returned" upon being booted, and NEVER again display the option to have her return to the graveyard again.

This means that she could get permanently lost in a non-permanent or eventually inaccessible area (i.e., one where my party is ambushed, the shadow-cursed version of the Temple Ruins, the Sahuagin city, etc.) and I wouldn't be able to make use of her unless I wanted her permanently in my party. Restarting has not removed this bug.

3. Jaheira's romance seems to have permanently stalled for me, despite curbstomping Dermin and his gang. The JAHEIRAROMANCEACTIVE variable appears to be stuck at 1 for some reason (of course, there are some other odd variables that have values of 6 or more digits). Terminsel also has refused to show up for a second time to give Jaheira a Harper Pin.

4. After killing Faldorn to save Trademeet, the City Gates area of Athkatla becomes completely inaccessible to me (the area loads, but the moment the screen tries to display the playing area the game always crashes). After some testing, I discovered that it doesn't matter if I finish the Dao Djinni quest before or after I kill Faldorn, or how I kill Faldorn, the City Gates area always crashes.

Oddly enough, if I make the game believe that Faldorn is still alive, the City Gates area will not cause a crash. This is the command I was told to use that worked:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADcefald01","GLOBAL",0)

I'm not saying that this single variable is responsible for the whole fiasco on my machine, but something about it caused this very big bug.

If necessary, I am willing to learn how to post files on this forum so the patch-makers can learn more about the optional mods from the Fixpack I installed, peruse the relevant savegames in Shadowkeeper, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a masterfully made game, but all these bugs and issues are really testing my patience here.

If necessary, I am willing to learn how to post files on this forum so the patch-makers can learn more about the optional mods from the Fixpack I installed, peruse the relevant savegames in Shadowkeeper, etc.
Just copy and paste the contents of your WeiDU.log file here for now.

One other issue that may be causing mayhem. Before installing BG2:SoA did you make sure that there was no existing BG2:SoA directory containing an override folder? The uninstaller does not remove all of the pieces of an install, and old override folders with previously modified files in them can cause problems. (This is one of the common reasons for messed up installs).

Guest Guest

Here's the Contents of my WeiDU file:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun

No, I do not have any other mods. This was my first installation of BG2 on this machine.

Here's the Contents of my WeiDU file:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun

No, I do not have any other mods. This was my first installation of BG2 on this machine.

Oops, that last post was mine. Forgot to log in again. The mods can delete the last one.

3. Jaheira's romance seems to have permanently stalled for me, despite curbstomping Dermin and his gang. The JAHEIRAROMANCEACTIVE variable appears to be stuck at 1 for some reason (of course, there are some other odd variables that have values of 6 or more digits). Terminsel also has refused to show up for a second time to give Jaheira a Harper Pin.
I thought this was a known issue the patch was supposed to fix. Are you absolutely sure you have the Bioware patch for your game installed? There should be a readme specific to the patch in your game folder that'll tell you which version you have.
Guest Guest

I have discovered the same problem with the city gate crash. It made going back to the Crooked Crane for the Planar Sphere quest impossible.

Also, and I haven't figured out what triggers it yet, but at some point, doing something causes the blacksmith in Trademeet to suffer the same fate. If you talk to him, the game just crashes in the same way it does if you arrive at the city gates.

I have discovered the same problem with the city gate crash. It made going back to the Crooked Crane for the Planar Sphere quest impossible.

Also, and I haven't figured out what triggers it yet, but at some point, doing something causes the blacksmith in Trademeet to suffer the same fate. If you talk to him, the game just crashes in the same way it does if you arrive at the city gates.

Well, that sounds like a serious bug. Maybe someone knowledgeable could tell those of us with area crashes how to post our savegames so the coders of the Fixpack could look through them to see and solve the problems?

I have no idea what's up with the Trademeet blacksmith, but I'll look.

The last Shadows of Amn patch should have taken care of the other issues you're describing - it is, however, not unheard of for Bioware to fix things differently between SoA and ToB, or to not include fixes between both patch versions. I'll take a look at the area script and see if I can't get a temporary fix for you, but this may be something we need to handle differently in the next Fixpack.

That SPRITE_IS_DEAD value will help quite a bit in tracking this down, so thanks for that :D

Archived