BG2 ToB Lag Issues

Guest Peelfish

Guest Peelfish

I'm running at 1440 by 900 on Vista, and get fairly unplayable lag constantly.

I attempted a mod uninstall but bizarrely it didn't work... I'd rather not have to uninstall it to be honest, if I can get widescreen working I'll be very happy (thank you for it's existence!).

Did you check this sticky? If you have an nVidia card, you shall find a solution there.

Widescreen is working if you have 1440x900 display. It doesn't change the game engine and the rendering speed. Most probably you'd have the same problem with plain ToB. At least that's what most people found out till now. Unfortunately the nVidia workaround seems not to work for everyone.

Guest Guest
Did you check this sticky? If you have an nVidia card, you shall find a solution there.

Widescreen is working if you have 1440x900 display. It doesn't change the game engine and the rendering speed. Most probably you'd have the same problem with plain ToB. At least that's what most people found out till now. Unfortunately the nVidia workaround seems not to work for everyone.

Actually the game seemed to be working at a decent speed before I installed the mod - I managed to slay some fire giants - but the screen was rather small at 800x600.

My graphics card is a strange built-in thing called the 'Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family', if that helps...

Thank you.

Rendering speed definitely changes with the increased screen size.

If your machine was already at its limits, then the increased size definitely causes lag.

This might be fixed by optimising it:

1. disable/quit from as many programs/services as you can. This frees up memory and CPU. (anti virus is one such thing, just don't forget to reactivate it after play)

2. Add more RAM. The increased screen size requires the engine to allocate more memory. (Contrary to Isaya, WSM definitely alters the engine, that's the point of the whole mod).

The difference between PST and ToB on the same resolution is that ToB has an optimised engine, BioWare surely changed a few things in their engine which was pro-performance, and also i believe Blackisle added some stuff that would choke even the ToB engine (they did several ugly hacks to the core engine).

My bad. I must be used to people complaining that the game doesn't work well with their new über-powerfull graphic card. My 2001 computer with a 32 MB GeForce 2MX board is able to run Baldur's Gate and Planescape properly in 1280x1024 with Widescreen. That's why I assumed almost anything today could run an IE game with Widescreen.

The 965 chipset for desktop is decent for such an old game though I expect the mobile version to be slower. I had similar slow down with Icewind Dale at 1024x768 on a Dell computer with Pentium M740 and the typical integrated GMA 900. Updating the drivers helped a bit then so you may try that too.

I would assume the 965 chipset is much better than the GMA 900 and shall cope with higher resolutions. You may want to check how much memory is allocated to the graphic card. According to the box, ToB doesn't require much but maybe you could assign at least 16 or 32 MB due to the expanded resolution.

Guest Guest

Thanks a lot for the help - disabling anti-virus whilst playing appears to work to a certain extent, but how would I go about allocating more memory specifically to ToB?

Archived