Game Download

Guest Galrick

Guest Galrick

While aimlessly browsing the web tonight, I thought that it could be nice to complete my collection of oldies-but-goodies RPG games and get my hands on Icewind Dale I & II and on Planescape: Torment. So I look at Direct2Drive and I find nothing. Nor can I seem to find any other download sites where they keep old games. Finding the originals on Amazon or eBay is an option, but I would rather be lazy and simply click on 'Add To Cart/Download'.

Do any of you knows of a site where they would keep these games?

...yes yes, I'm one of those optimistic kind of people. :D

Guest Galrick

Thank you for your answer Erik. Unfortunately, it seems you're right. If I ever want to get my hand on these games, I'll probably have to hunt down some old copies. After doing some research, it seems that most game download sites are a) scams or b) keeping only recent or new games.

A pity really, because lets face it: any kind of CD/DVD will eventually wear down and break. I'm somewhat afraid of the day my BGII CD will snap between my fingers and I simply won't be able to find a new copy. :D

A pity really, because lets face it: any kind of CD/DVD will eventually wear down and break. I'm somewhat afraid of the day my BGII CD will snap between my fingers and I simply won't be able to find a new copy. :D
That's what CDR backups are for. :D If/when the original disc(s) won't play anymore, you start using the backup set (making a secondary set just in case the first backups call it quits too, and so on, I suppose).

One thing I've noticed on this front is that the backup CDs will let you play the game, but they won't let you install the game (at least not for me). So it's a good idea to have an installed copy backed up as well and know what the registry entries for the game are, so you can add them manually.

All download services give you a DRM'd copy of the game, which isn't moddable (at least using the BG et all modding techniques - engines like Source or the Oblivion one allow you to make & run mods even if the game is encrypted). Something to keep in mind before typing in your credit card number.

A pity really, because lets face it: any kind of CD/DVD will eventually wear down and break.
Not every type... Images, images, images, now imagine that.
Well, disc images do need to be stored somewhere, and hard drives, like optical media, will not last "forever", so physical backups are still a good idea.

One thing I've noticed on this front is that the backup CDs will let you play the game, but they won't let you install the game (at least not for me). So it's a good idea to have an installed copy backed up as well and know what the registry entries for the game are, so you can add them manually.
The backup method I find most convenient, and have indeed been using for the last 4 years or so, is to have clean installs of BG1 & BG2 backed up to DVD, as well as CD backups of the play discs needed for validation (I use disc images for validation when actually playing, so the latter is a just-in-case security net).

Archived