trying to meet a number of objectives for a run through the saga

Lemernis

For a run through the entire BG series, I would very much like to

* fight a dragon in BG1--which as far as I know is featured only in DSotSC, which requires BGT (?)

* in SoA/ToB try a number of BG2 NPC mods that aren't listed as compatible with BGT (Kelsey, Ariana, Keto, Xan, a few others)

It's too bad that there isn't a Tutu version of DSotSC (or is there?)...

Pretty much all the mods I'd like to use for BG1 are compatible with BGT. But unfortunately with BGT I'd be missing out on the mods I want for BG2.

I suppose I could

- play BGT to the end of BG1

- export the PC

- uninstall BGT

- install BG2 with the mods I want

- import my PC and continue.

But that seems like a lot of trouble.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks. I'll post my question on that forum too.

It makes intuitive sense that most BG2 NPC mods would be compatible with BGT since the BG2 engine is being used. Maybe they didn't bother to list them all because there are so many.

Re: the dragon question:

The original DSotSC mod, created before WeiDu, uses a wyvern to represent a dragon. The mod's big battle at the end is with that "dragon." About a year or so ago I asked at one of the modding community sites (Chosen of Mystra?) if the later WeiDu version of DSotSC replaces that wyvern with a bonafide BG2 dragon, given that WeiDu uses the BG2 engine. I was advised that is indeed the case. Was I misinformed? I mean, it seemed likely to me that if someone was converting Dark Side to WeiDu they would do that (why use a wyvern when a real dragon is available). But can anyone confirm this?

North Side of the Sword Coast features a dragon as well? If so I will certainly add that mod as well!

Okay, here is the page I needed that features a more comprehensive list of compatible mods: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=19539

I would think Ariena and Kido (BG2 NPC mods) should be compatible. I guess I'll be the playtester if know one knows.

Btw, how does SCS work in the SoA/ToB parts of in BGT-Weidu? I would like to use it for BG2, but I have to say when I playtested SCSII a bit last year, at least at the highest difficulty settings, it was way too hard for my taste to be enjoyable. I do know it's customizeable, though. I just hope I can find the sweet spot for difficulty in the BG2 part of the saga with SCS. Because vanilla BG2 is just about my speed to begin with... Maybe just a little more difficult would be the ticket for me. I'll have to fiddle around with it I guess.

Okay, here is the page I needed that features a more comprehensive list of compatible mods: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=19539

I would think Ariena and Kido (BG2 NPC mods) should be compatible. I guess I'll be the playtester if know one knows.

Btw, how does SCS work in the SoA/ToB parts of in BGT-Weidu? I would like to use it for BG2, but I have to say when I playtested SCSII a bit last year, at least at the highest difficulty settings, it was way too hard for my taste to be enjoyable. I do know it's customizeable, though. I just hope I can find the sweet spot for difficulty in the BG2 part of the saga with SCS. Because vanilla BG2 is just about my speed to begin with... Maybe just a little more difficult would be the ticket for me. I'll have to fiddle around with it I guess.

Not very much of SCS will work in BG2. The general AI, and general calls for help, might; but those components are basically identical in SCS2 (certainly no harder) so you might as well use SCS2. A few of the priest/mage scripts might show up, but most of them are too low level.

Looking back at your playtest threads from last September, I think the main things that were making life difficult were (a) giving HLAs to SoA creatures, and (b) increasing the difficulty of spawns (so that, in particular, you get liches spawning all over the place). I'd recommend a more toned-down install of SCS2: maybe mostly just install the AI-improving components.

The original DSotSC mod, created before WeiDu, uses a wyvern to represent a dragon. The mod's big battle at the end is with that "dragon." About a year or so ago I asked at one of the modding community sites (Chosen of Mystra?) if the later WeiDu version of DSotSC replaces that wyvern with a bonafide BG2 dragon, given that WeiDu uses the BG2 engine. I was advised that is indeed the case. Was I misinformed? I mean, it seemed likely to me that if someone was converting Dark Side to WeiDu they would do that (why use a wyvern when a real dragon is available). But can anyone confirm this?
I can't speak much for the BGT version of DS, which dropped a lot of content from the original. For the Tutu version (in progress nearing completion) I believe we use a bona fide dragon animation, because I remember Red Carnelian making a comment about it being rather too big for the area it's in. If you don't mind beta (alpha?) testing, I can probably get you a version, otherwise you're best off staying with the mods in the Tutu mod list thread (link in my signature).

For the most part, your BG2 mods should be compatible with BGT. You probably want to use the Big World Project or a similar methodology (SMM and IEMI are alternatives) rather than various forum posts, some of which are dated. And the good thing about most of those methodologies is you don't need to use all the mods - not even BGT if you don't want to.

> ... if the later WeiDu version of DSotSC replaces that wyvern with a bonafide BG2 dragon ...

The green dragon I saw did indeed look like a dragon. And you're right, the dragon is in DSotSC. I'd stay away from NTotSC at least until it gets revised. The English is unintelligible and the extra content, though interesting, is not playable without a walkthrough.

> I would think Ariena and Kido (BG2 NPC mods) should be compatible.

The Big World Project lists both as compatible.

Concerning SCS2, DavidW has directions on defeating spellcasters: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...ges&st=142#

Thanks for the responses.

Miloch, it would be my pleasure to playtest the DSotSC Tutu version. I probably won't be starting this game for about another 4-6 weeks, I have a game underway that I want to complete first. So if there's some work to be done on it yet, the timing is good.

David, yeah, I'm remembering now that I had everything set to maximum difficulty, which in restrospect probably was not the smartest way to playtest (that playtest game got derailed by RL anyway). I'm sure if I choose more moderate settings it'll be fine. Am I understanding correctly that SCS II doesn't work with BGT?

Steve, thanks for the confirmation that it is a BG2 dragon in Dark Side and that those NPC mods are listed as compatible for BGT.

I can't speak much for the BGT version of DS, which dropped a lot of content from the original.
I can and indeed the dragon is big real looking green dragon(BG2 dragon).

Am I understanding correctly that SCS II doesn't work with BGT?
It does work. But for more intelligent BG1 part NPCs, you also need the SCS 1, and then you'll have to avoid installing the better calls for help from it(SCS1)... because it causes bug with BGT. Or was that an old issue, I don't know, but anyways the component from this works as a replacement. Notice it's earlier version, so don't go and install any of the other components.
It does work. But for more intelligent BG1 part NPCs, you also need the SCS 1, and then you'll have to avoid installing the better calls for help from it(SCS1)... because it causes bug with BGT.

I play BGT with both SCS and SCSII installed. In any case, you are right. Out of the box latest scs does have a bug with BGT, although there are a few hotfixes available at the pinned thread in the scs forum here. It also includes a hotfix for andris and for the wolf of ulcaster.

BTW: A BG run with scs's better calls for help is an unforgettable experience. No more gibberling sniping, no more wolf sniping. Sharpen your weapons and ready your spellbook. This is especially true in the bandit camp.

A BG run with scs's better calls for help is an unforgettable experience. No more gibberling sniping, no more wolf sniping. Sharpen your weapons and ready your spellbook. This is especially true in the bandit camp.

Yeah, I would absolutely have to play with better calls for help installed for the entire saga--and for BG1 in particular where sniping or luring an isolated creature on the perimeter away from the gang is a frequent temptation. Anyway better calls for help is for me almost half of SCS's appeal. (The other being smarter enemy spellcasting.)

With SCS II I'm going to have to fiddle a bit with its customizeable features to achieve just the right level of challenge (for me) that doesn't make it so hard that the fun factor is lost. But I'm sure I can do that.

A BG run with scs's better calls for help is an unforgettable experience. No more gibberling sniping, no more wolf sniping. Sharpen your weapons and ready your spellbook. This is especially true in the bandit camp.
Yes, indeed the bandit camp is truly a horrible place, in a good way.

Btw, another objective I forgot to list is some sort of hacked character for the PC. I did this once before via Shadowkepper with a dual classed human Berserker 7/ Stormlord. It wasn't overpowered and was fun.

It looks like now with Level 1 NPCs I could cobble together pretty much anything.

Any suggestions for a uniquely crafted class combo? Or some other novel concept?

I was initially considering a Cavalier or Inquisitor who would dual-wield bastard swords, in BG2 using the Purifier and Foebane. But then I remembered how fun hacking a character can be.

I do like the idea of dual-wielding bastard swords (don't recollect ever having used bastard swords in all my BG gaming...), and may incorporate that regardless of the character design. Although I suppose with the paladin class requirement for the Purifier, adding evil party members is very tenuous from the roleplaying vantage. Maybe he is a paladin so dedicated to his mission that he will hold his nose and use evil companions to achieve his highest ultimate goals?

As for party composition, if not a paladin the PC will be CG or LN with a mercenary streak, and in either case I'd like to assemble a motley assortment of NPCs. I'll use the happy patch. I like putting together mixed alignment parties.

In BG1 I'll have Gavin. Might finally try Mur'Neth. Maybe have a look at Mulgore & Xavia (though it looks like there isn't much content written for them).

In BG2 I'll finally try out Kelsey. Ariena, and Kido look interesting. I may try Xan, Coran, Kivan and Deheriana, Branwen, Tiax, and Alora. Some of them anyway. At least Xan and Coran, I think.

Edit: I dunno, maybe dual class a custom fighter kit from Sword and Fist into a custom cleric kit from Divine Remix? Is that possible?

Hmm, or maybe even just a Fighter 7 dualed to Battleguard of Tempus.

I'd probably end up dual-wielding a combination of bastard swords and long swords. If necessary I'd use the Ashes of Embers tweak to allow the priest to use bladed weapons.

Edit: ...Is that possible?
No, you can have only one active kit per char... meaning that you can have a Kensai 8th level -> then dual -ed to a Thief, and then on level 9 Thief, change him to a Assassin, for example... and not loose any of the previous +'s like you would by re creating him as an Assassin form the first level.

And with the Level 1 NPCs, you need to have an NPC that's classes and kit's you'll decide.

Good suggestions? Well, make Sarevok a Kensai/Thief, and then when you finally get him, take the thief HLA(you need 6 000 000 Xp's on him for this) 'Use All Items' to make him a real tank, with Carsomyr etc.

So it wasn't so good suggestion, as it was evil.

What about Baldur's Gate Trilogy versus Big Picture versus Big World? What's the difference between these? Which is best?

I wish to be able to run all the mods available for a Tutu game and in a SoA/ToB game. DSotSC abd SCS are a must for this run through the saga.

Archived