how to keep Yoshimo for the entire saga

Lemernis

Maybe some kind of variable is being added to each party member after that, that's causing a conflict for OMIHSOY.cre?
No clue, really, but it might be something like that. To be honest, I haven't really even played ToB, so I don't know what it does with scripts, etc. I don't know if mod-added NPCs in ToB have to do something special to account for it, but maybe someone who's done a ToB NPC would know.

One person with some modding experience that I described this to diagnosed that Yoshi is trying to talk to the PC. Because he has nothing to say it loops. This is the Yoshi (level 10) that you start the game with in Irenicus' dungeon. Does anything trigger a dialogue in SoA?

er, um... why not just change is death variable by script at the tree of life? I expect you'd want to add ToB content for him, then, but that ought to do the trick all by itself - except you'd be unable to summon him with the fate spirit if you did something crazy like drop him from the party in hell.

I know that at one time playing Baldur's Gate II be it either Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, which I don't recall, I was able to bring Yoshimo to the pocket-plane by the Solar. I don't remember what path I chose to be able to do this, but I also remember Yoshimo being in the Copper Coronet after the Underdark. Since bringing Yoshimo to the pocket-plane worked, I assume the path I chose for that round of BG2 made it so Yoshimo didn't die. It intrigues me this mystery of Yoshimo, because I haven't been able to do that path again.

I am not certain what path I did for this to happen, but I do know my consciousness tried slightly to prevent him from dying, since he's an excellent thief, and I do remember that I have played different paths also for Yoshimo. I have started a new round with Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn, currently, with no patches added. Just original from the box, and I am going to try go the path which I did back then. I don't remember if I had Throne of Bhaal installed for this path to succeed back then, but I do know I installed it at some point. Not sure if I had any official or unofficial patches installed either, but the unofficial I know did not mention anything about Yoshimo.

Before I list the things I have done, I repeat I am NOT sure which path that led to this to succeed:

1. The different things I did intentionally was not taking Yoshimo from the start at all, just leaving him in the dungeon. (I am not sure if he appears in the Copper Coronet if I do this. I am going to find out soon.)

2. Intentionally not involving Yoshimo in the plots, taking the path out the dungeon, to drop him off once outside, not to talk to him again before after the Underdark. (I have tried this too, but I don't remember the result.)

3. Trying the alternate routes into Brynnlaw without Yoshimo. Leaving him before going to Brynnlaw.

I've played this game so many times I don't remember all the things I've tried, but it wasn't apparent to me that he almost certainly die when you go to Brynnlaw, before after looking it up, so I am just so curious on how I manage to keep him alive through the whole game without even knowing this was a close to impossible path.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone, and don't think I am a troll, because I certainly did not cheat of any kind, and if it was not the intention to have Yoshimo alive, why would it be possible to bring him to the Pocket Plane in Throne of Bhaal? I've also played it paths where Yoshimo can't be brought to the Pocket Plane, which was when I really figured how hard it was to actually keep Yoshimo alive through the whole game. I hope someone takes this task to the hearts and have time to fickle with it, because it's a huge mystery to me and probably a heap of Baldur's Gate fans out there.

Hope you find this post somewhat interesting.

Also note that I have 3 versions of Baldur's Gate II. I have 2 x of the original Baldur's Gate II, bought with a year or so in between, and I also have the Baldur's Gate II - Collectors Edition - Limited Edition (which is the red-brown box linked at the bottom of this post), and I don't know if the binaries in these three versions differ. Additionally I have Throne of Bhaal which I got right after it's release.

Baldur's Gate Collectors Edition

Guest Guest

Yoshimo. Always. Dies. In the vanilla game, you cannot keep him alive without messing with variables. Dungeon-Be-Gone allows a player to tell him to "wait at the Copper Coronet," which *may* allow him to join later than he otherwise would.

The mod "Tortured Souls" does allow you to keep Yoshimo, but it also adds many new areas and two NPCs, a human Kara-Turan kensai/mage and a half-elf cleric/ranger. Does that sound familiar?

"Keeping Yoshimo" at this site does that too. Content is minimal, but it is functional.

Guest Guest_Tempus_*

I don't operate with MODs, and espesialy ones that fulfill "how I wish the game was", and I know I didn't mess with variables that one time I managed to keep Yoshimo. I know I have messed with variables at later times, but for totally different purposes. The one thing I can think of which it *might* be is that I clicked and talked and made him join my party before he died so he's possible to ressurect. Anyway, like I said, I was also allowed to bring him to the Pocket Plane in ToB so, and I am also certain I didn't have any modifications to the game other than the official patches if any at that point as well, so the path of Yoshimo has to differ in some ways. I am trying different paths to go right now, because like I said, I am puzzled by how I managed to make him live. I do think it had to do with a path where trying to keep Yoshimo involved as little as possible in the main plot.

Guest Guest

Er...people have been playing this game for ten years. One would think that *someone* would have reported being able to keep Yoshimo alive. But no. In all probability, it was a glitch, or you aren't remembering correctly. I know that I tried a number of different strategies with Yoshimo, including the ones you mentioned. I'm sorry, but this is implausible.

Yes, that's why I find it so weird that people use hacks and mods and other stuff in means to keep him alive. And if I managed to recruit him before he died and ressurected him, how is that you can't bring him to the Pocket Plane on most paths, while some works? I know I had Yoshimo brought to the Pocket Plane, and that was the first time I played through ToB, and the very core of the reason I think this is weird is that I haven't been able to bring Yoshimo back to the Pocket Plane ever after, or are these two totally different parts of the game? Just to put things straight, I've been playing Baldur's Gate for over 10 years myself, and I never go the same path, which is why I find it amusing to play it again and again. So the core of the question would be, what makes you able to bring Yoshimo to the Pocket Plane and what does not? I guess all these questions are answered by that one answer.

And "over 10 years" means Baldur's Gate/TotSC/SoA/ToB.

Archived