First time playing BGII - one or two issues.

Guest Guest_Mike_*

Guest Guest_Mike_*

Basically, this is my first time playing BG II so I don't know if this is a glitch or if it's supposed to be the case, but when I hover over any menu item, for example, the attack option, the cast spell option etc, it doesn't tell me what they are.

I've just been doing the tutorial, and it's constantly telling me to perform certain actions - steal, for example, and I've simply had to work out which icon does what by trial and error. It doesn't state the name of a spell either, when I hover the cursor over it to either cast it or memorise it.

Any fix for this?

I've installed fixpack v6 without the beta option, and I don't know if that's the cause? The patch for ToB is also installed if that's of any relevance.

Well, you have to wait, for a second or less... unless you want to push the Tab key, which gives the display scroll immediately after you are on top of the icon and push the key. Or this is how it should work.
Basically, this is my first time playing BG II so I don't know if this is a glitch or if it's supposed to be the case, but when I hover over any menu item, for example, the attack option, the cast spell option etc, it doesn't tell me what they are.

I've just been doing the tutorial, and it's constantly telling me to perform certain actions - steal, for example, and I've simply had to work out which icon does what by trial and error. It doesn't state the name of a spell either, when I hover the cursor over it to either cast it or memorise it.

Any fix for this?

I've installed fixpack v6 without the beta option, and I don't know if that's the cause? The patch for ToB is also installed if that's of any relevance.

The "fix" is RTFM (the pdf IS in your BG2SOA dir)--go look at your ingame config options GUI and slide your hoverhelp delay bar up/down a bit. Get to know all the little ingame options/buttons intimately, they make you happy. TAB key forces hoverhelp.

Step one is make sure you have a "clean" install, run your bgconfig.exe to taste then STOP, back up the 4 "clean" files and the "override" to your recovery folder--It means 25 seconds instead of 25 minutes next time, seriously go here to read up:

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PH...p;topic=17555.0

Start here:

-BG1TOTSC stock

-BG2+TOB stock

-TOB bioware patch26498

<make a backup>

From here you can mod it with no worries. Start with the BG2fixpack PLUS any relevant BG2fixpack "hotfix", then in general order:

1 - Core Program Files

2 - Tutu Conversion

3 - EasyTutu Pre-Mod Fixes (degreenifier)

4 - Tutu Pre-Mod Modifications (tutufix, AND tutufix hotfixes)

5 - Sound Mods

6 - Item/Store Mods

7 - Quest Mods

8 - Comprehensive Mods

9 - NPC Mods

10 - Graphical Mods

11 - AI/Scripting Mods

12 - Kit/Spell Mods (Note: maximum 9 kits per class; thus, some may overwrite or conflict with others - please be selective and keep track of what you install.)

13 - Global Tweaks & Improvements

14 - Always Completely Last In Install Order, GUI changes

I like the following basic "flavor" mods:

-Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe

-UnfinishedBusiness-v16.exe

-Oversight-v12.exe (skip the "Cleric Kits" component)

-PnPCelestials-v4.exe

-Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe

Tips:

1. Savegame early, savegame often, with rolling catalog of each timestamped chapter saves JIC.

2. Manage your resources wisely, shop around for good deals; if you really need it, don't be afraid to buy/use it.

3. Try different things, play a bit in each class to figure how best to employ all your assets.

Guest Guest

I had the slider all the way up so they weren't displaying.

Anyway, I've had one or two crashes, but otherwise all is running fine. I haven't bothered with many other mods, - I can save them for a 2nd playthrough if I ever feel like it. I'm sure the fixpack and unfinished business will be enough for now. I played BG1 many years ago so I don't think Tutu is really necessary.

Cheers for the help.

Archived