Montaron and Marl

Jarin

Montaron apperently liked to insult Marl and turn him on our party (in Feldepost's Inn). Unfortanly, Marl's friend who's name I forgot already also turned on the party, causing a massive reputation loss (as I had to kill him). Off-course, killing people isn't nice, but some people must have seen that it was ... some sort of self-defence.

Guest jastey*

I don't know... It was the PC's companion who started it (Montaron). If an innocent is hit, the others on the street will turn hostile, too - but I doubt the "but officer, it was mere self-defence to kill them all" will get the PC very far.

You would have taken the reputation hit even if Montaron hadn't egged him on. That's vanilla BG behavior.

I doubt the local authorities would consider it self defense. After all, you're the stranger in town. Marl and Dunkin are locals. Everybody in Feldpost's is probably used to carefully avoiding any mention of Marl's son by now.

Yeah, reputation is all about how others see you, which could be as some sort of riffraff regardless of whether you actually are (though Montaron unquestionably is :)).

Luckily, Algernon's cloak is just upstairs...

Yeah, reputation is all about how others see you, which could be as some sort of riffraff regardless of whether you actually are (though Montaron unquestionably is ;)).

Luckily, Algernon's cloak is just upstairs...

What about the case of Laurel who turns on you simply because you may have had some transgressions in your past (damned lady never heard of forgiveness, obviously...) she's all about with nobody to witness, and one does need to defend oneself, obviously... :)

Who knows how word gets around in a fantasy realm. Maybe there's some wizard with a crystal ball telling the populace what you're up to when you think no one's looking. Or maybe the BG1NPC bardic trio is moonlighting with rings of invisibility so they can later charge you to modify your reputation...

But yeah, if no one else is around to witness something, you really shouldn't take an immediate reputation hit. Maybe once whatever the Sword Coast's equivalent of detectives find the body or something...

Archived