Quitch feedback thread

Quitch

Quitch, I consolodated your posts in one thread so it would be more convenient to work from it when we fix things (to make sure nothing got burried under other threads). I would greatly appreciate if you continue to provide the feedback as you play along :)

Well, as long as she does not refer to Gorion as her own father, I think it is not a big deal, no? I saw daddy and dad used in BG texts. She calls him Mister G after all in the beginning, why not PC's dad?

Because it's not Imoen. Dad is a very modern word, and for the main characters the writers have carefully avoided using it. Imoen calls him Gorion and Mr G, and might refer to him as your foster-father (though this is very unlikely as he's also hers). Dad sticks out like a sore thumb. In the instance this dialogue takes place, Gorion (her more serious name) would seem appropriate.

Dad and daddy is used by children I believe, but the writers were much looser in their language with the various minor actors. With main characters they tend to use longer, and often more old-fashioned/arcane words. Neither the PC nor Imoen would ever call Gorion "dad" in the hands of a Bioware writer.

Main Entry: mis-

Function: prefix

Etymology: partly from Middle English, from Old English; partly from Middle English mes-, mis-, from Old French mes-, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English mis-; akin to Old English missan to miss

1 a : badly : wrongly <misjudge> b : unfavorably <misesteem> c : in a suspicious manner <misdoubt>

2 : bad : wrong <misdeed>

3 : opposite or lack of <mistrust>

4 : not <misknow>

mis·act mis·ad·dress mis·ad·just mis·ad·min·is·tra·tion mis·ad·vise mis·aim mis·align mis·align·ment mis·al·lo·cate mis·al·lo·ca·tion mis·anal·y·sis mis·ap·pli·ca·tion mis·ap·ply mis·ap·prais·al mis·ar·tic·u·late mis·as·sem·ble mis·as·sump·tion mis·at·trib·ute mis·at·tri·bu·tion mis·bal·ance mis·be·have mis·be·hav·er mis·be·hav·ior mis·bound mis·but·ton mis·cal·cu·late mis·cal·cu·la·tion mis·cap·tion mis·cat·a·log mis·chan·nel mis·char·ac·ter·i·za·tion mis·char·ac·ter·ize mis·charge mis·choice mis·ci·ta·tion mis·clas·si·fi·ca·tion mis·clas·si·fy mis·code mis·com·pre·hen·sion mis·com·pu·ta·tion mis·com·pute mis·con·ceive mis·con·ceiv·er mis·con·cep·tion mis·con·nect mis·con·nec·tion mis·con·struc·tion mis·con·strue mis·copy mis·cor·re·la·tion mis·cre·ate mis·cre·a·tion mis·cut mis·date mis·deem mis·de·fine mis·de·scribe mis·de·scrip·tion mis·de·vel·op mis·di·ag·nose mis·di·ag·no·sis mis·dial mis·dis·tri·bu·tion mis·di·vi·sion mis·draw mis·ed·u·cate mis·ed·u·ca·tion mis·em·pha·sis mis·em·pha·size mis·em·ploy mis·em·ploy·ment mis·es·ti·mate mis·es·ti·ma·tion mis·eval·u·ate mis·eval·u·a·tion mis·field mis·file mis·fo·cus mis·func·tion mis·gauge mis·gov·ern mis·gov·ern·ment mis·grade mis·iden·ti·fi·ca·tion mis·iden·ti·fy mis·in·form mis·in·for·ma·tion mis·kick mis·la·bel mis·learn mis·lo·cate mis·lo·ca·tion mis·man·age mis·man·age·ment mis·mark mis·mar·riage mis·match mis·mate mis·or·der mis·ori·ent mis·ori·en·ta·tion mis·pack·age mis·per·ceive mis·per·cep·tion mis·plan mis·po·si·tion mis·print mis·pro·gram mis·quo·ta·tion mis·quote mis·rec·ol·lec·tion mis·re·cord mis·ref·er·ence mis·reg·is·ter mis·reg·is·tra·tion mis·re·late mis·re·mem·ber mis·ren·der mis·re·port mis·route mis·set mis·shape mis·shap·en mis·shap·en·ly mis·sort mis·strike mis·throw mis·time mis·ti·tle mis·train mis·tran·scribe mis·tran·scrip·tion mis·trans·late mis·trans·la·tion mis·truth mis·tune mis·type mis·uti·li·za·tion mis·vo·cal·i·za·tion mis·write

I have never, ever, seen this variation of the prefix used (though perhaps it's more common in English (American)?). It seems like a rather odd choice. What made you pick it?

You've honestly never heard anyone say "misalign", "misapplication", "misbehave", "miscalculate", "miscomprehension", "misconceive", "misconception", "misdiagnose", "misevaluate", "misgovern", "misidentify", "misinformation", "mismatch", "misprint", "misshapen", "misthrow", "mistime", "mistranslate", or any of the others?

Woah.

misremember is not 'not remember', it's 'remember incorrectly'. but then you know that quitch, dont you, cos you used it in one of yr posts?

what's the context of the quote, if you *do* remember :) - is it the PC realising they had forgotten something, or have they made a mistake (ie, remembered something incorrectly then been correct by imoen, or whoever)?

Same reaso you did not like "dad" - it sounded old-fashioned smile.gif and is a nice compact word that eliminates the negation thus making the phrase shorter

Actually, I'd say something like "I forget" is far more old fashioned than "misremembering". However, as pointed out they do mean slightly different things, so I'm sure it was used as a forget alternative.

You've honestly never heard anyone say "misalign", "misapplication", "misbehave", "miscalculate", "miscomprehension", "misconceive", "misconception", "misdiagnose", "misevaluate", "misgovern", "misidentify", "misinformation", "mismatch", "misprint", "misshapen", "misthrow", "mistime", "mistranslate", or any of the others?

Woah.

I said that particular variation of the prefix, not the others.

I thought that other guy was Imoen's foster-dad, errrrrrrr Winthrop

No, she spends more time with Winthrop, but it was Gorion who brings her to Candlekeep.

No, she spends more time with Winthrop, but it was Gorion who brings her to Candlekeep.

Er... not in BG1. I think according to Blucher's sketch it is Winthrop who is her foster father. Here is a quote from his Character Sketch:

Imoen.

Years ago, Winthrop was a moderately successful adventuring thief with a knack for staying alive. Always something of a loner, Winthrop eventually teamed up, and fell in love with, a high-spirited bard named Myreth. Together, the two rogues journeyed across much of Faerun seeing many lands and peoples, always one step ahead of the law. Sadly, their luck ran out one day and Myreth was slain in the aftermath of a botched scheme. Winthrop was devastated and wandered listlessly making his way to the rough, frontier town of Luskan.

In Luskan, Winthrop found Imoen, a dirty, parentless street urchin about six years of age. She immediately captured his heart, seeing in her the child he and Myreth never had. With a child to care for, Wintrhop found a new reason to live. He retired from adventuring and took up various ‘respectable’ professions. His roguish nature, however, always ended up with him getting in trouble of one sort or another. He and Imoen traveled from town to town in this manner for several years. In this time, Winthrop began teaching her many ‘skills’ to help them make money.

Realizing that life on the road was no way to raise a child, Winthrop planned one last heist. He chose as his mark a wealthy member of Waterdeep’s underground, a loan-shark named Neville. The heist was a success and he made off with a tidy sum of gold, gems and a few choice items. The getaway was clean and no one suspected him at the time, but he was still canny enough to leave town just in case.

Winthrop and Imoen journeyed south again making their way to Candlekeep where he sold a rare book, once the property of Neville and the last of his ‘traceable’ loot. In Candlekeep, Winthrop’s luck proved good, for there he found a golden opportunity. The former owner of the Candlekeep Inn was of a mind to sell the place and retire to warmer climes. Taking the bulk of his coin, Winthrop purchased the inn and finally retired from his vagabond life. Imoen was ten years old at this time.

Imoen was never truly successful fitting into her life in Candlekeep. Though a popular child, her high-spiritness caused her to chafe at the restrictive life in the Keep. She quickly developed a friendship with Charname, seeing in him/her a kindred spirit, another orphan like herself.

Imoen proved to be a very intelligent child, though always a source of frustration for her mentors. She would rather daydream and read romances and tales of adventure than truly apply herself to her studies. She also balked at becoming a ‘lady’ and, rather, exaggerated her ‘lower class’ image (and Winthrop, though he tried, was hardly very helpful in this). Her pranks in Candlekeep (often getting Charname in more trouble) were legendary, though her charm and honest good nature always kept her from getting into any real difficulties.

it says - "much as you did", which does not imply Gorion's connection per se, in fact it lessens it later in the descripton, so Blucher interpreted it in his own way:

When asked about her past, IMOEN slaps your shoulder playfully. She says that you of all people should know, seeing as how you grew up together. Indeed, some of your fondest memories are of meeting this sprightly young lass. She apparently came to Candlekeep much as you did, though 10 years later in life, and she spent much more time with the gruff Winthrop than Gorion. "Puffguts" she would call him, much to the old innkeep's dismay. She seems the eternal child, and is quite content to play the part of little sister, though you are both of comparative ages. You can tell by her hearty smile that she will always be willing to travel with you, no matter what path you take.

Well, all we know about how you arrived was as a baby, with Gorion. Now, since there's only two elements "much as you did" can draw on, and we know she wasn't a baby when she arrived...

Still having problems with banters. Every banter not directed at me (or maybe all banters, only Imoen banters with myself seem to work correctly) cut out after the first state. I tried reinstalling the BG1 NPC Banter pack, but this hasn't fixed the problem.

What exactly do you mean by 'cut out at the first state'? Could you try and CTRL-I some banters to see if they work? :)

If you're still having problems, could you post your mod install order (with version numbers too if possible) and Debug file?

Archived