Opcode 317: Haste II

Miloch

Yeah, I don't remember any difference other than a different opcode value to bypass immunity to 16.

Checking to see if it gets toggled by slow (they should cancel each other out, and if you don't have any display portrait icon effects, the icons would be handled correctly -- with none showing for a slowed and haste2d character) is the only place I can think of where you would be able to tell if there's a difference (I don't remember results of ever testing this, if I ever did).

Well I did some testing and haven't been able to find any difference between opcodes 16 and 317.

They both cause Haste (normal, improved or movement only, based on parameter 1 of 0, 1 or 2). They both can be canceled by Slow. They both can be dispelled based on whether they're dispellable.

So I checked whether Free Action (opcode 163) would affect them differently. Maybe this is already known but it's not in the IESDP. AFAICT, opcode 163 does not cancel either Haste or Slow by itself. Therefore, I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to do, if anything. The Fixpack appears to "solve" this by applying opcode 126 (movement modifier I of 100%) to Free Action.

Why tf didn't they just implement opcodes for Cure: Slow and Cure: Haste?

Yeah, it cancels opcode 126 I guess, but not opcode 40. Not much does remove Slow except Dispel Magic. Even Haste doesn't really seem to cancel it as described, it just coexists with it for whatever duration, resulting in sort of a choppy movement that approximates normal speed.

Free action restores movement rate (if current movement rate < default movement rate, all limited movement rate modifiers are purged).
Actually, further testing indicates opcode 163 does not cancel opcodes 126 or 176, whether they be applied as positive or negative temporary modifiers. So like I said, I'm not sure what exactly it's supposed to do. On the other hand, Haste of both types do seem to override Slow and vice versa, but the Slow can reassert itself if the Haste expires. So it doesn't really "cancel" the slow opcode as stated.

Archived