A couple of suggestions for new components

Guest Shagar

Guest Shagar

What about restricting the presence of the bonus merchants, Deirdre and Joluv, to chapter 6 (well, they came to the city when you were out in the Underdark) and raising the fee you have to pay for using magic in Athkatla to, let's say, 20,000 gp?

What about restricting the presence of the bonus merchants, Deirdre and Joluv, to chapter 6 (well, they came to the city when you were out in the Underdark) and raising the fee you have to pay for using magic in Athkatla to, let's say, 20,000 gp?

Cute. Okay, I'll think about including that in v9.

Cool, I really like both suggestions!

I've a small suggestion myself, though it's clearly outshined by these two. :) What about implementing something like UB's 'Bodhi Hunts you in Spellhold'? It's pratically the only reason left I would ever install that mod, though I'm quite sure used with SCS 'party's items are taken from them in spellhold' it would make Spellhold a real hardcore challenge! ;)

Cool, I really like both suggestions!

I've a small suggestion myself, though it's clearly outshined by these two. ;) What about implementing something like UB's 'Bodhi Hunts you in Spellhold'? It's pratically the only reason left I would ever install that mod, though I'm quite sure used with SCS 'party's items are taken from them in spellhold' it would make Spellhold a real hardcore challenge! :)

Last time I tried it, the UB version works fine with SCS anyway.

It works with UB's Bodhi, and yes, SCS II is even compatible with Improved Asylum to boot! This makes Asylum a very difficult experience, but doable and fun!

Hint:Try to run away from Bodhi and her crew by resting near an entrance to the second floor (the floor where you need to dust that vampire), as she sapwns and attacks, use the door to go to next area. Do your jobs there. When you need to come back, use the other exit/entrance. Otherwise, Bodhi and her crew drains your party so much it is pure carnage!

Guest temujin.

speaking of suggestions..

Dave,

what do you think of including a final difficulty mode - heart of fury - identical to IWD? just so any new players or even regulars don't accidentally install this component and get scared off, you can keep it as a well-hidden option so it's not visible during manual install (just like the "super secret component" from the fixpack). only those masochistic enough looking for the absolute toughest possible challenges will know where to find it. :O:fish:

speaking of suggestions..

Dave,

what do you think of including a final difficulty mode - heart of fury - identical to IWD? just so any new players or even regulars don't accidentally install this component and get scared off, you can keep it as a well-hidden option so it's not visible during manual install (just like the "super secret component" from the fixpack). only those masochistic enough looking for the absolute toughest possible challenges will know where to find it. :O:fish:

Interesting, but not really my style (I've never played HoF). SCS is mostly about low-key improvements and AI upgrades. Actually I think there are mods out there that do something similar already (something at ShS, maybe?)

I think Mix-Mod does something similar, from the readme:

"5. Tougher Enemies - All IE Games

This component is meant to be an alternative to things like Tactics mod. It will boost the abilities of all your enemies (note that all player controlled/allied creatures should be exluded,

though strange coding by game devs in few places may give these bonuses to summons etc., but this'll be extremly rare)

Enemy creatures will get bonuses to:

HP

AC

THAC0

SAVE THROWS

This component has several subcomponents, so you'll be able to choose how big the bonuses are, you can freely change those mid-game with no problems

Each subcomponent boosts HP by 25% (from 25-150% bonus), with each 25% HP bonus comes +1 to AC/THAC0/Saving throws."

Guest temujin.
I think Mix-Mod does something similar, from the readme:

thanks, i'll look into it. i just felt it might have a "greater aura" if something like that came from SCS itself.

I looked into some of your code (I am very impressed!) and found a minor bug. The macro ~make_casting_innate~ in scsII/scsII.tph adds the opcode "Protection: from Turn [297]" which protects the creature from turn undead. Doesn't matter for, say efreeti, but might matter for some other creatures. Also, for cosmetic reasons, have you considered adding Protection from Opcode [with Opcode #140] to the macro? This would disable the lingering casting graphics when a creature fires off a spell at a speed of 0.

-Galactygon

I looked into some of your code (I am very impressed!) and found a minor bug. The macro ~make_casting_innate~ in scsII/scsII.tph adds the opcode "Protection: from Turn [297]" which protects the creature from turn undead. Doesn't matter for, say efreeti, but might matter for some other creatures.

That's interesting. My version of Near Infinity lists 297 as "caster uninterruptable", but it looks like that might be a bug in NI. I'll do some testing at some point.

Also, for cosmetic reasons, have you considered adding Protection from Opcode [with Opcode #140] to the macro? This would disable the lingering casting graphics when a creature fires off a spell at a speed of 0.

Nice idea.

Guest temujin.
Just like the "super secret component" from the fixpack

What is this?

it's mainly for disabling any "controversial" fixes (i think). open setup-bg2fixpack.tp2 and scroll down to the bottom where it says "//BEGIN ~SUPER SECRET COMPONENT~ DESIGNATED 1000". it tells you what it is and how to enable it.

Archived