Cam's in-depth review of the Dark Knight

CamDawg

Yes very nice. Ledger's Joker rates up there with Nicholson's Joker. Awesome.

Nicholson's Joker was cliché. Literally... Jack Nicholson as The Joker.

Ledger's Joker, on the other hand, was truly disturbing. The buzz for an Oscar nod is not misplaced, and it's truly a shame that his life ended as he was becoming an amazing actor.

I just saw it yesterday.

My rating: 4 out of 5

What I liked the most:

- The character development

- The moral ambiguity&ethic scrutiny

- The depth of the characters interactions

- The fast-paced action

What I liked the least:

- Few dialogue bits

- The cliched title

- Batman leaving Gotham City

Comparing the movie with Tim Burton's, I would say that this movie is superior in character development and script (both at excellent levels) while I liked better the atmosphere, the fable-like narration and the music of Tim Burton's Batman.

What I liked the least:

- Few dialogue bits

- The cliched title

hmm, what? Where was this part?

The Title's from the graphic novel, that which gave us a darker, no camp Batman.

What I liked the least:

- Few dialogue bits

- The cliched title

The Title's from the graphic novel, that which gave us a darker, no camp Batman.

The title can come from anywhere but I still think it's clichè :fish: ...

And about Batman leaving Gotham City: you remember the Hong Kong part of the movie? :O

What I liked the least:

- Few dialogue bits

- The cliched title

The title can come from anywhere but I still think it's clichè :O ...

And about Batman leaving Gotham City: you remember the Hong Kong part of the movie? :fish:

Umm, okay...

The title is also a nifty play on words, as one of Dent's lines (about it always being darker before the dawn) suggests.

I thought it was great; the worst you can say about it is that it wasn't *perfect.* Yes, there were a few lines that might have been cut, mainly when the villains make it too clear what their characters symbolically represent and all. And I did find the climactic battle scene a little confusing.

But does anyone else think movies in general are getting darker and more apocalyptic? Even The Simpsons movie (!) involved the citizens of Springfield trapped in a giant bubble, regressing to savages, about to be blown up by the government. You have the Flanders family standing on their porch literally waiting for death. And two of the best movies of recent years, Gone Baby Gone and No Country For Old Men (incidentally The Dark Knight reminded me a lot of both of them, and of Dennis Lehane's writing) push the envelope of radical evil about as far as it can be pushed. I mean, art has always focused on the dark side of human nature, but this is mainstream commercial stuff...

Anyway, I guess I'm not complaining :)

One thing about The Dark Knight though (spoiler, highlight to read)

I understand why they had to conceal Dent's crimes, but why pin it on Batman? They could just as easily have pinned it on the Joker or one of his flunkies. Making Batman look worse won't make Dent look better!

Making Batman look worse won't make Dent look better!

I got that sensation over the entire movie. It's the same with the Joker, although there it's somewhat justified (great job by Ledger BTW, I didn't give him much credit when I first heard he got the role). To me, most of the time Batman looks like a supporting actor in his own freaking movie.

Still, it wasn't bad.

Archived