Official Release v1.5

Demivrgvs

I think Salk was saying that liches reading scrolls during a fight seems odd from a roleplaying perspective.

Exactly.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, there's in-game evidence that they're not doing that:

(i) the spells will be deleted by a nishruu;

(ii) if you get lucky and kill them instantly, you won't find the scrolls;

(iii) their spells can be disrupted, which scrolls can't be;

(iv) if you take control of a lich (which, admittedly, isn't easy) you can see their spells directly.

(iii) their spells can be disrupted, which scrolls can't be

This can be bypassed by using SpellNoDec() alongside DestroyItem(). For example, here's how I do it in RR in order to ensure that spells cast from scrolls remain disruptable and affectable by Miscast Magic:

IF
!GlobalTimerNotExpired("RR#Cast","LOCALS")
HasItem("SCRL5D",Myself) // Protection from Evil 10' radius
See([0.0.DEMONIC.0.0.SUMMONED_DEMON])
CheckStat(Myself,0,PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL)
CheckStatLT(Myself,50,SPELLFAILUREPRIEST)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetInterrupt(FALSE)
	SetGlobalTimer("RR#Cast","LOCALS",6)
	DestroyItem("SCRL5D") // Protection from Evil 10' radius
	DisplayStringHead(Myself,46153) // uses a scroll
	SpellNoDec(Myself,CLERIC_PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL_10_FOOT)
	SetInterrupt(TRUE)
END

Regarding Spell Shield: I've checked what Sikret did to "fix" it and guess what, he did exactly what I was pointing out in my previous post! :O He changed secondary type from spell protection to conjuration (maybe because lvl 1 Shield spell is a Conjuration one :fish: ), and I don't see any other tweak on that spell. He claims to have undergo several in-game tests and that sporadically it still creates problems but for the most part it now works as intended.

Regarding casting from scrolls: I see "casting via scrolls being un-interruptable" as a feature rather than a bug. Maybe the character requires less concentration to cast reading a scroll rather than using his memory, and as a drawback casting from scrolls generally means that the spell is cast at a lower "power level".

P.S DavidW, I've almost finished to redone all polymorphing abilities (Polymorph Self and Shapechange) and I think I'll need your advice at least with a few of those. I'll post a complete description of my work asap, but my most evident concern is how SCS handles the immunity to weapons of lower than +3 enchantment of the Iron Golem form. Because against vanilla's AI the Iron Golem seems the ultimate destruction machine! ;) I think that even with SCS this feature (though appropriate) may be really overpowered.

Regarding casting from scrolls: I see "casting via scrolls being un-interruptable" as a feature rather than a bug. Maybe the character requires less concentration to cast reading a scroll rather than using his memory, and as a drawback casting from scrolls generally means that the spell is cast at a lower "power level".

Actually, per PnP rules, spells cast from are supposed to be interruptable:

The initiative modifier of a scroll is its reading time. For scroll spells, this is equal to the casting time of the spell. For protection scrolls, the reading time is given in the explanation of the scroll effects. The only requirements for using a scroll are sufficient light to read by and the actual verbalization of the writings. If the reading of a scroll is interrupted, the scroll effect is lost and that spell fades away and is lost.
(iii) their spells can be disrupted, which scrolls can't be

This can be bypassed by using SpellNoDec() alongside DestroyItem().

Sure, but that wasn't what I meant. The standard BG2 scroll is not interruptable, whatever may be true in PnP D&D, so there's in-game evidence that lich spellcasting is not from scrolls. Of course the rules of the game could be changed so that scrolls are interruptable - but then, the rules of the game could be changed so that liches have fewer spells.

...but then, the rules of the game could be changed so that liches have fewer spells.

I actually would really like that.

I see no reason for spells cast from scrolls to be uninterruptable.

I hope SR might change this for the future.

I see no reason for spells cast from scrolls to be uninterruptable.

I hope SR might change this for the future.

I don't think it can be done without scripts, and in that case I think it's better to leave scripts ti mods that already work on them (e.g. SCS or RR).

Archived