NPC Attributes

Guest Guest_Ergopad_*

One of the things that really annoyed me was Kivan's weapon proficiencies. He gets a +2 spear right away and a bow later.. yet has mastery in halberd and two weapon style? O.o
Yes, there's been some discussions about that, like here. I was considering doing a component for it, but being as how you can already mess with proficiencies in L1NPCs, the only advantage it would have is pre-selected convenience, rather than having to answer a billion questions (though since I would be putting it in a large tweak mod, you would have to do that anyway... :fish:).
A while ago, Nythrun was talking about allowing attribute tweaks as part of L1NPC. Just sayin'...
Sure. This would be a lightweight version for a quick, sensible adjustment. If you want to make all your NPCs elven paladins with 18s (25s?) in everything, there's the mythical Level1NPCs v2 (v3?).

Moved to General Modding Discussion as per Miloch's pointing-out :fish:

Nythrun said something about access problems in the new place. But you really can't keep a good woman down - she'll be breezing through soon, fixing things and generally rocking out soon enough, I am sure.

Guest Guest_Ergopad_*

To follow the AD&D rules, over the racial maximum attributes should be nerfed, but the nerfed down attribute should be compensated somehow...

Kagain: -1 CON +1 STR

STR 17, DEX 12, CON 19, INT 15, WIS 11 and CHA 8

Coran: -1 DEX, +2 STR

STR 16, DEX 19, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 9 and CHA 16

And yet another thing, would be adding the changes from BG2.

Edwin: +1 STR, +1 WIS

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10

Jaheira: +3 DEX

Str 15, Dex 17, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 15

Minsc: +1 DEX, +1 CON

Str 18/93, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 6, Cha 9

Viconia: +3 WIS

Str 10, Dex 19, Con 8, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 14

These are not mandatory changes, but still I'd like to see these changes too.

Guest Guest_Ergopad_*

Oh, sorry. But then again, it would be great, if ALL these changes would be in a single mod.

If not component per character, then in three components:

(* BG2 attributes)

* Racial max attributes

* Balance weak NPCs attributes

So, would somebody bother to make the changes or are there still more to be talked about? Or how hard is to do a mod like this?

One NPC stats tweak I'll be making to my game with L1NPCs is to give Viconia 11 strength. This way she'll be able to use both a mace and a morningstar (I use BG2 Tweaks Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies, so this change makes sense to me).

Guest Guest_Ergopad_*

It looks I have to do it myself. I just checked that BG2tweaks folder and I'm going to figure out how the heck to do it... At first glance, it doesn't look so hard.

Thanks for feedback to my questions. This thread may now be closed.

So, would somebody bother to make the changes or are there still more to be talked about? Or how hard is to do a mod like this?
As I said a while back, I don't mind writing a component for this and putting it in MixMod. I was just waiting for the final list and any additional feedback.

The BG2 consistency tweaks are already in BG2 Tweaks, as are the "nerf attributes over the racial maximum" bits. Not sure how I feel about that one, as I think it's possible Kagain and Coran could've come by some artificial means of boosting their stats (tomes, etc.) just as the PC can. But it's there anyway.

So it is just a matter of boosting the weak ones, if we want to avoid mod redundancy. I would still boost Khalid's STR if he's supposed to dual wield bastard swords, and Bursk's change seems reasonable enough. I'd also want to double check all NPCs can wield their starting weapons. I seem to recall Tiax and possibly Quayle cannot (wouldn't surprise me).

cmorgan (or another admin) could you please merge this thread and this one - I'm having trouble following both, and they deal with the same thing - cheers.

Guest Guest_Ergopad_*

Well, I'd appreciated, if you don't mind to a mod of these changes.

Here's my "final" list of changes:

Khalid +1 DEX (since he is half-elf)

STR 15, DEX 17, CON 17, INT 12, WIS 10 and CHA 9

Yeslick +1 CON (and he is dwarf!)

STR 15, DEX 12, CON 18, INT 7, WIS 16 and CHA 10

Branwen +2 WIS (finally a cleric with 18 wis)

STR 13, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 9, WIS 18 and CHA 13

Eldoth +2 INT and +1 CON (to be a bit stronger and have a proper int for a bard)

STR 16, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 15, WIS 10 and CHA 16

Garrick +3 INT, +2 STR and -2 WIS (a child alike student)

STR 16, DEX 16, CON 9, INT 16, WIS 12 and CHA 15

Faldorn +2 DEX and +1 WIS (a nimble shaman)

STR 12, DEX 17, CON 11, INT 10, WIS 17 and CHA 15

Tiax +1 DEX and +3 WIS (stats proper for cleric/thief)

STR 9, DEX 17, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 16 and CHA 9

Quayle +7 CHA (!) and +2 INT (Gandalf reborn!)

STR 8, DEX 15, CON 11, INT 19, WIS 10 and CHA 13

And, I just check BG2 Tweak Pack, and it only lowers Kaigan's CON to 19, doesn't compensate it and does nothing to Coran. So I'd like to see these changes too in your mod too, perhaps as another component.

Kagain: -1 CON +1 STR (STR should very well compensate the lower CON)

STR 17, DEX 12, CON 19, INT 15, WIS 11 and CHA 8

Coran: -1 DEX, +2 STR (STR for firing composite shortbow)

STR 16, DEX 19, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 9 and CHA 16

Is there something that you would like to change? And please, no those +/- changes or this never going to end. :O But if you have ideas, please tell.

If you have time now, could you do the mod and send it to me so I can finally my first BGtutu game? :fish:

Guest Kristal

Shadowkeeper is your friend. AFAIK, there is not any reason for it not to work except that you may not have specified your game dir. If you selected "minimum space" or something like htat during tutu installation, everything was moved to a new dir probably called BaldursGateTutu. Search for that, point your SK and no problem, I'll wager.

Guest Guest_Ergopad_*

Ah, my first weidu mod is ready. Got now two components, one that will do the balancing for low NPCs and other for fixing that max racial attributes. Finally I can start playing BGtutu. :fish:

Is there something that you would like to change? And please, no those +/- changes or this never going to end. :fish: But if you have ideas, please tell.
Ok, here's what I'm talking about. Quayle gets a mace in Tutu which requires 10 strength, but he's got only 8 STR. Boost it +2 so he can use it, maybe at the expense of some of your other boosts. (He gets a flail in BG1 which would require 13 STR, but BG1 conveniently ignored, or failed to implement, stat requirements on weapons.) Tiax gets a quarterstaff in Tutu for some odd reason: he had a mace in BG1. He needs just +1 STR if someone wants to play him with the original weapon. Since few people have ever complained about either of these, you see how often they are used.

I would also consider implementing the stat fixes from Dudleyville. The main reason for these is largely consistency - because if you get the NPC at one level, they have different stats than at another. Doesn't make much sense. Everything else there should probably be fixed too but heh... that would take forever (or at any rate, it's not going to happen overnight).

I can tell you that the saving throws are definitely off, particularly for the gnomes and probably for all the short races and, well, practically everyone else too. I've already fixed them for Gnomes (which is now in BG1NPC) but haven't gotten around to the others.

Then there's things like NPCs having incorrect stats for their classes (Minsc as "ranger" being a prime example) but I suppose that's something we can ignore. I suppose.

[Edit: And why are you asking me to write this if you're doing it too? :O]

Archived