Save in IWD

Cyrion

Hello,

I'm currently testing Icewind Dale in GemRB (with Heart of Winder). It seems that saving game is not working. Is it because it's not supported yet by the engine, or because the GUIScript for saving has not been written or is somewhat broken? In this case, is there somebody currently maintaining it?

That's wierd. Looking at the code, at least the first slot should be available. Do you get any errors in konsole? Check earlier than what is shown in the screenshot.

I found a few problems in the konsole but they seems linked to other problems:

- [CHUImporter]: Cannot Load BackGround, skipping: This was seems to be linked to a glitch: during the dialogs, the action bar is displayed briefly before the next sentence of the character

-[KEYImporter]: Searching for chmf4.2da...[ERROR]: I don't think it's related

- Loading automap notes

[KEYImporter]: Searching for ar1006.ini...[ERROR]

[NOT_FOUND]

Loading tiles

Loading explored bitmap

Loading wallgroups

- [TlkImporter]: Cannot open tlk override!

I also checked the access rights on the disk, they seem ok for writing save.

I will try later with IWD2.

I compiled from the svn, revision 5236.

These are truly unrelated, and not even a problem.

The problem is that the save game directory is not found by the engine, most likely because the guiscript doesn't call GameSetExpansion

I just realized this function isn't even documented.

It is all my fault :fish:

-edit-

The situation is even worse. The expansion code was cut out (by me), but definitely needed. Just not the way it was first implemented. The flag set by GameSetExpansion should affect how the game is saved (when there are two versions of savegames, the expansion is the advanced one).

The mpsave/save selection is affected by the PlayMode variable only.

I will look at this mess soon. The problem is that the plan was to support compatible savegames, so once played on gemrb you could still use the savegames with the original game. Maybe i will have to rethink this option.

Ok.

About the [CHUImporter]: Cannot Load BackGround, skipping error, what should be done? Is there the same kind of problem on other games or should it be fixed in the GUIScript of iwd/how ?

This is usually not an error. It just means a window has no background .mos set. (Mos is an IE fileformat)

The action bar flickering is unrelated, and most likely could be fixed in the guiscript.

I already looked at that dialog thing a few months ago, but didn't find an elegant solution (too little xp at the time). I'll look at it again, just not right now - need to figure out the inventory bug first.

I hope you set the HOW gametype, not IWD. They are different.

The HOW game won't work correctly if you use GemRB in IWD mode.

I tried to save with an empty mpsave directory, and it worked. (It also works if there are already saved games).

I tried to save with an empty mpsave directory, and it worked. (It also works if there are already saved games).

The game type was how.

Where did you create the mpsave directory? And what is the exact case for it? There's none in my installation (directly installed IWD/HOW and then put it on a linux partition), so it may be the root cause of the problem.

I also chose to uncomment the SavePath in the GemRB.cfg, (it point to a perfectly innocent directory, with correct access rights, etc.)

The game type was how.

Where did you create the mpsave directory? And what is the exact case for it? There's none in my installation (directly installed IWD/HOW and then put it on a linux partition), so it may be the root cause of the problem.

I also chose to uncomment the SavePath in the GemRB.cfg, (it point to a perfectly innocent directory, with correct access rights, etc.)

Yes, this could be the case, GemRB doesn't create the savegame directories (expects that the IE install does).

It should be in the original game directory.

Finally:

- once the directory MPSave is created (manually), save are working correctly. This directory is not exactly created during Game installation. It must be either during first game or first save.

- moreover, it seems that you have to comment the SavePath in the Gemrb.cfg . Otherwise you aren't allowed to save.

Thanks for your help.

Archived