Italian Translation?

Nabuchadnezzar

Hi to all!

I am an Italian fan of the Baldur's Gate saga and I just installed Baldur's Gate Trilogy (since it has a better non-english support than Tutu) and BG1 NPC Project [English version].

Is there an Italian translation for BG1 NPC Project? Or at least do someone already started to work for a translation so that I might collaborate?

If there is not any work started out already, how much "big" (# lines) and "difficult" is to make a translation?

Thank you!

EDIT:

I'm translating them on my own, if there are any volunteer to help me with the translation, it would be great.

I'm following the filename alphabetical order

File translation list (filename and completion)

bg1npc_tmp.tra 640/640

x#lp1r.tra 4/4

No Italian translation reported or reported started yet.

ClanDLAN worked as a team for a few years to do it. The line count in the translation files is... err... large. I'd have to go back and run some checks, but I think there is a recent post that details how many. Let me go look.

EDIT: Ahhh, thanks to Graoumf, http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...st&p=126811

shows about 31,441 lines to be translated. I believe Graoumf is working with the French i.e. community, but I could be wrong. A few of these lines are code-required replications, but most are original. What can we say - a very large community contributed. The only similar project I have come across is the Less Generic NPCs Project (LGNPC) for Morrowind.

But if someone volunteers, it would be great. It might require a team effort.

I believe Graoumf is working with the French i.e. community, but I could be wrong. A few of these lines are code-required replications, but most are original. What can we say - a very large community contributed. The only similar project I have come across is the Less Generic NPCs Project (LGNPC) for Morrowind.

But if someone volunteers, it would be great. It might require a team effort.

Yes, indeed, the d'Oghmatiques are translating in french but it's a huge work! It will last several years, I guess.

Sigh...

well, I'll keep it in english then ???

EDIT:

Even in English, it's amazing!

It's a shame that it's not translated in many other languages...

Well, I start to translate on my own, in hope that someone else will contact me before I run out of patience :)

I have "just" to translate everything in the files in the "bg1npc/tra/english" folder, right?

I just made a new folder, called "italian" and put there a copy of those file for the translation...

BTW... I noticed that there are other folders already, but who the hell is translating it in "sanskrit"?!? :devil:

[short Answer]

The *_tmp.tra files are the only ones of concern to translators, as the mod rebuilds these into the actual files in use when installing the mod!

[/short Answer]

[Long Answer]

The way the _tmp.tra files work is a two-step process.

*_tmp.tra files (several in the mod) are set up with things like

@23 = ~[GENERIC MALE INJURY 2]~ [%tutu_var%MANC04]

BG1NPC uses COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER and other fancy WeiDU commands to determine whether you are installing on Tutu or BGT.

On Tutu, it puts in the correct replacement, like this:

@23 = ~[GENERIC MALE INJURY 2]~ [_MANC04]

and on BGT, this:

@23 = ~[GENERIC MALE INJURY 2]~ [MANC04]

and since things like " and % throw WeiDU off, these are turned into variables too, and evaluated the same on each platform:

Special: +20 %percent% fire resistance

becomes

Special: +20 % fire resistance

This creates the actual bg1npc.tra used by the game on the fly, so to speak, dependent on your install type. The full package only ships with the *_tmp.tra files. And to make sure nothing goes wrong, these are recreated every time you install or deinstall a component (in the ALWAYS section of the .tp2).

[/Long Answer]

p.s. The "sanskrit", "latin", and "klingon" folders (I think only sanskrit is left) is a small joke for other modders. The rest of the languages have dummy folders and code ready to go in the tp2, so that adding a completed translation takes next to no coding time - just testing it, which takes forever!!!

[short Answer]

The *_tmp.tra files are the only ones of concern to translators, as the mod rebuilds these into the actual files in use when installing the mod!

[/short Answer]

Sigh, so I just started translating a useless file :)

Well, hopefully I have only to copy and paste, since the actual "translation" is already made.

Also, thank you for the " and % thing... I actually translated *percent* to *percento* (so no %), but I changed the ' to ", so it's better to change them back to ' ???

I'll remember it during my work.

Let's see if I understood everything correctly...

For files that DON'T have a *_tmp.tra version (like p#brlt.tra) I suppose that I have to translate the *.tra one, while for files that DO have a *_tmp.tra version (like X#AJPCFL.tra) I'm expected to just delete the *.tra one (in the example, X#AJPCFL.tra would be generated automatically later) and only translate the *_tmp.tra file (in the example, x#ajpcfl_tmp.tra).

Is it all correct?

This also answers my wonder about what did those %tutu_var% mean in those "similar" *_tmp.tra files... :devil:

PS: I'm expecting the klingon translation ASAP!!! ???

EDIT: so the ONLY difference between the *_tmp.tra and the *.tra files are the %tutu_var% in the last brackets of a line (if any)?

I think that I'll better add these %tutu_var% to the already translated file if it's actually so

I made wordpad substitute every "~ [" with "~ [%tutu_var%" in the BG1NPC.tra, that was a lot easier.

I hope I just recreated the bg1npc_tmp.tra file without mistakes (I have some backup copies just in case)

I go to bed right now. Until I receive an answer to this edit, I'll start with the other files so that I don't keep translating wrong files. ???

Yes, you have it - some hints:

1. I think all the files come out lowercase except the ones created by the evaluation, so if you see an all uppercase .tra, then it is probably created from a related _tmp.tra file.

2. Don't use singleton % or " because it will mess things up. I think we started using the word percent instead of %, but take a look at the Spanish translation files for similar ideas.

3. If you want one "easy" way to do it, just take the .tra file and translate the sentence directly, leaving the ~ [sOUNDREF] and ~[COMMENT] string~ [sOUNDREF] stuff as is... if you mass replace like that, you will want to go back and fix some things because not all those references need the %tutu_var%. Some are referencing standard BG2 strings that are used the same way on Tutu and BGT!!!

4. Both the French and Spanish communities have good resources - ClanDLAN even has a translation file tool they built. It may be worth contacting Imortality at ClanDLAN for hints.

5. I can't read Italian, but I can help check files for missing references, do file comparisons, and cheer from the sidelines.

Good luck :)

Yes, you have it - some hints:

Good luck ???

1) Got it, I noticed it as I posted the previous post ???

2) I'll look at the Spanish version, but unless it's really necessary, I won't use any special font, just because I think that it's easier to make mistakes using "%percent%" or the like rather than typing "percento"... maybe on a second run I'll substitute every "percento" with a "%percent%", but I think I won't do it... "percento" just works out fine.

If it's not broken, why fix it?

3) Hopefully, the one file I mostly translated so far didn't have any COMMENT or SOUNDREF string (just checked), and I hope not to mess with the *_tmp.tra / *.tra thing anymore :)

Thanks for the advice, anyway, just in case :D

4) Right now my "tools" are wordpad, wordreference.com, dictionary.reference.com and my own brain. :)

I think I don't actually "need" any other tool, just have to be careful with all those brackets and waves :)

If (better... when) I feel overwhelmed by the translation run, I'll contact ClanDLAN anyway, but right now I think I would just lose more time understanding how to use the tool and configuring it for the italian language, than just keep translating as I do now.

Thank you for the tip :p

5) Cheers are always appreciated anyway :D

As I finish my first file (see first post for completion), I'll send you a copy. This way missing references and file comparisons won't be an issue, so I can deal with the translation without fear of "code mistakes" rather than "translation mistakes".

Your help is actually appreciated A LOT ???

*sigh* I regret reading things such as "French community" and "Spanish community" and then just looking at a mirror and say "well, *this* is the Italian community... :devil: ".

I made some other requests of help somewhere in italian forums, but right now I received no answer.

It passed a short time though so I don't despair... anyway if nobody else is going to do it, someone has to start from scratch, and BG1 NPC Project is just too good for a roleplaying mod not to have it translated.

*sigh* I regret reading things such as "French community" and "Spanish community" and then just looking at a mirror and say "well, *this* is the Italian community... :) ".

I made some other requests of help somewhere in italian forums, but right now I received no answer.

It passed a short time though so I don't despair... anyway if nobody else is going to do it, someone has to start from scratch, and BG1 NPC Project is just too good for a roleplaying mod not to have it translated.

You may ask Ilot, he translates several mods in italian. There's also al17, you can contact him on his site.

Quick note to translators - no .tra changes that have any effect on translations in progress. v17 typo repairs of v16 files as listed here in the forum, none of which should have any major change in meaning. v16 files still valid for translation efforts.

Archived