CRE name validity

Miloch

dw#asc_dragblue.cre

dw#asc_finsend.cre

dw#asc_new_dragblue.cre

dw#asc_new_finiren.cre

dw#asc_new_finsend.cre

Are these actually valid CRE names for the engine (that I thought only recognised 8 chars or less) or are they just bogus markers or something? It looks like you're shuffling resources around, so I suspect the latter, but then why move them to the override in the first place when you can probably do that sort of shuffling in the backup folder or something? Just wondering.
dw#asc_dragblue.cre

dw#asc_finsend.cre

dw#asc_new_dragblue.cre

dw#asc_new_finiren.cre

dw#asc_new_finsend.cre

Are these actually valid CRE names for the engine (that I thought only recognised 8 chars or less) or are they just bogus markers or something? It looks like you're shuffling resources around, so I suspect the latter, but then why move them to the override in the first place when you can probably do that sort of shuffling in the backup folder or something? Just wondering.

The latter. & yes, I could have used a different folder, but five files in the override directory isn't going to make any practical difference to the running speed of the game.

I could have used a different folder, but five files in the override directory isn't going to make any practical difference to the running speed of the game.
No, they just throw up validity errors in various patches I do, but no worries, I've just excluded them.

(And don't worry, I'll spare you the "override folder is not the recycling bin" lecture this time :).)

I could have used a different folder, but five files in the override directory isn't going to make any practical difference to the running speed of the game.
No, they just throw up validity errors in various patches I do, but no worries, I've just excluded them.

That's odd: they should be valid CRE files (other than the long names).

Actually, it'd be nice to know if you can use longer names via BAF commands, since they have the space, or if they attempt to summon the truncated creature (I.E. CreateCreature("dw#asc_dragblue") will create dw#asc_dragblue.cre, dw#asc_d.cre, or do nothing). Obviously, you can't do this via the binary formats.

That's odd: they should be valid CRE files (other than the long names).
They are AFAICT, it was just the name length that raised a flag. But if they're just junk files never intended to be called by the engine, the question is moot. Though I suppose the bigg's question might be of interest if we ever run out of 8-character names...

Archived