After 10 years...

Guest PetrusOctavianus

Guest PetrusOctavianus

One thing that has annoyed me since playing BG2 for the first time is that Sling Bullets are considered "piercing", like Arrows, but when IMO they really should be "crushing". It's especially annoying when fighing skeletons and one natutrally assumes that slings will be a better weapon than bow and arrows, only to see the bullets doing only 1 damage.

And I'm susprised that I seem to be the only one that thinks so, since no mods (that I know of) has corrected this.

Or is it just me?

What does the AD&D 2nd PHB say about sling?
Well, it says both sling bullets and stones do blunt (bludgeoning) damage, and that halflings have a +1 THAC0 when using them (hmm, has anyone implemented this?). Also, a sling bullet is obviously not pointed (as there's no way you could aim such a thing in the right direction) but rather a round ball of lead (as per the 2e Arms & Equipment Guide).

If the "blunt missile" damage type works as you'd infer (doing both blunt and missile damage) then undoubtedly that's what they should be. Might require more testing, though. A good way would be to see if it works against creatures that are immune to other types of damage (such as piercing and slashing). A further test would be to see if it does an "AND" or an "OR" type of damage. In other words, can it hurt a creature who is immune to ranged damage (but not blunt) and vice versa?

BioWare has implemented that from the very beginning as I have mentioned in the Updated Race Descriptions thread which I assume you have read since you replied. :)
I'd read it, but didn't know if it was something Bioware had implemented accurately, or if it was something you'd planned (or already implemented in the BG1 FotD). If they did implement it, I assume it's hardcoded in the engine somewhere. Kind of hard to test, though I suppose if you had a halfling and a non-halfling with the same bullets and damage messages turned on maybe...

I made a halfling (and an elven) fighter with basic proficiency in all weapons, no ability score bonuses and noted the weapons where THAC0 changed to 19. These to hit-bonuses are hardcoded but the racial saving throw bonuses are handled by a 2DA.

Archived