BG1 and BG2: 4-in-1 DVD or Collection CDs?

Guest bgf

Hi everyone

Many years ago I started playing BG1 but never finished it. I don't have the CDs anymore but now I want to get back into the game and play through BG1 and BG2 and their expansions.

I searched on Amazon and they have BG The Original Saga (BG1 + ToSC), and also BG2 The Ultimate Collection (SoA + ToB), which apparently includes a bonus CD containing "additional weapons and armor, set of four character portraits, as well as tracks from the original game soundtrack."

However, there's also a 4-in-1 DVD box set. My question is, should I get this instead of the other two? Does this DVD box set include the bonus CD material?

Also, do any of these come with paper manuals, or just pdf ones?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi everyone

Many years ago I started playing BG1 but never finished it. I don't have the CDs anymore but now I want to get back into the game and play through BG1 and BG2 and their expansions.

I searched on Amazon and they have BG The Original Saga (BG1 + ToSC), and also BG2 The Ultimate Collection (SoA + ToB), which apparently includes a bonus CD containing "additional weapons and armor, set of four character portraits, as well as tracks from the original game soundtrack."

However, there's also a 4-in-1 DVD box set. My question is, should I get this instead of the other two? Does this DVD box set include the bonus CD material?

Thanks for any advice.

No paper manals in mine I'm afraid.

You could do well with either (or both :) ) as you can have the bonus merchants from the tweakpack...

Guest Psalm
Hi everyone

Thanks for any advice.

No paper manals in mine I'm afraid.

You could do well with either (or both :) ) as you can have the bonus merchants from the tweakpack...

Hi.

I too am getting back to BG and need to get BG1&TOSC. Problem is that it is hard to find and the Original Saga on Amazon is $50. I've managed to find the 4-in-1 DVD Box Set, but it's from a UK site. The UK site says that it is "compatible with the UK region" but to check for compatibility with other countries. I'm in the US and would like to get the box set, but would like to know if it'll work on my PC. Thanks.

I think most Europeans outside Italy, Germany and Italy use the UK version. I haven't had any problems.

Here in Denmark the games once in a while is to be found from new (4-in-1 dvd) for 100 dkk which is around 15-20 $ so beware with your money.

Guest Psalm
I think most Europeans outside Italy, Germany and Italy use the UK version. I haven't had any problems.

Here in Denmark the games once in a while is to be found from new (4-in-1 dvd) for 100 dkk which is around 15-20 $ so beware with your money.

Thanks for the input, Shaitan.

I see the UK version works in Europe, but I'm afraid it may not for the US -- much like the NTSC vs PAL thing with video games. Do you know of anyone in the US who uses the UK version successfully?

I too am getting back to BG and need to get BG1&TOSC. Problem is that it is hard to find and the Original Saga on Amazon is $50. I've managed to find the 4-in-1 DVD Box Set, but it's from a UK site. The UK site says that it is "compatible with the UK region" but to check for compatibility with other countries. I'm in the US and would like to get the box set, but would like to know if it'll work on my PC. Thanks.
If you're going to lay out that much cash just for BG1, you might as well get the Ultimate D&D Collection.
Guest Psalm
If you're going to lay out that much cash just for BG1, you might as well get the Ultimate D&D Collection.

Thanks for the info, Miloch.

I was actually saying it was better to buy the 4-in-1 DVD Set of both BG1 & BG2 for about $25 from the UK site than it was to spend $50 for just the Original Saga from Amazon. Although now I am curious as to how those other games in the D&D Collection compare to the BG series.

Although now I am curious as to how those other games in the D&D Collection compare to the BG series.
Well, both IWDs along with the BGs are probably worth that price alone. You're getting NWN and its add-ons too. I haven't tried those or all the other games yet - they have some issues from what I've heard, but they also have cult followings too. The main drawback (aside from not also including PS:T :)) is that there is no printed documentation of any sort, but I tend to use the searchable PDFs more than I would printed documentations (though still, it'd be nice, but so it is with these types of compilations).
I see the UK version works in Europe, but I'm afraid it may not for the US -- much like the NTSC vs PAL thing with video games. Do you know of anyone in the US who uses the UK version successfully?

Well, my version of Tales of the Sword Coast says that it won't run outside of the United States, but all I have to do to get it to work is tell the Windows Clock my timezone is in the US and it gleefully boots up and plays with nary a problem. Since I don't suppose there's any other way for the game to detect where in the world you are, I'm guessing it should work in reverse for the UK edition.

Why they even bothered coding up a geographical restricion so easy to get around (or even why they did it at all) I'll never know.

Well, my version of Tales of the Sword Coast says that it won't run outside of the United States, but all I have to do to get it to work is tell the Windows Clock my timezone is in the US and it gleefully boots up and plays with nary a problem.
Heh, that's a bit bizarre. There isn't, AFAIK, an acceptable way to control that with CDs but DVDs can be region-specific (thanks to the money-grubbing movie industry) which is controlled by your DVD player. In (Windows) computing terms, this is controlled under Control Panel > System > Device Manager > [your DVD drive] > DVD Region, and then you'll see your "Current Region" and "Changes remaining." Meaning that you could, in theory, get a UK DVD (Region 2) to play in the US (Region 1) and vice-versa, but that also means that change is permanent until you changed it again, and you're limited to how many times you can do that (which is really stupid IMO).

Having said that, I believe there are region-specific versions of most of the Bioware DVD compilations out these days, or at least UK/Europe and US/Canada versions. Also, what I spoke of above might only apply to actual movies and not data DVDs, but then, the movies on the DVDs might be in different formats as well (I believe this is the only viable difference between the UK and US versions of BG).

I'm pretty sure that DVD regioning only applies to movie DVDs, since I've got one or two outside my region and I can read the data off the discs fine, but the software/hardware gets all upset if I try to play the movies. I've not seen any region specific software, but maybe they can do it... better to ask around if you can.

Thanks a lot for the info. That looks like a *real* bargain! However, everywhere I look it seems to be out of stock / unavailable and/or the store does not offer shipping to outside the US. *sigh* Guess I'll have to look for something else then.

However, everywhere I look it seems to be out of stock / unavailable
So it is. I guess I should feel lucky for snapping it up when I did, but like I said, all I got were a bunch of CDs and DVDs and a box - no documentation whatsoever.

You might be better off trying to grab them used from amazon or ebay, depending on where you live. They come up for cheap fairly often, and I've never had any quality problems buying used from either place (not with software anyway). Most ebay sellers will usually ship internationally, though amazon has odd restrictions for some reason.

Archived