Random stuff

Guest!

The Potion for NPCs component makes the encounters definitely more interesting for me.

But the regular use of potions in each encounter dulls partly the component's potential.

Still the trade-off is positive and Potion for NPCs will be part of my game.

I apologize if I have insisted too much on this subject.

No apology necessary; I'm not offended.

If you want, add the following code to your local version of the potion component:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.cre$~ ~override~
	   READ_BYTE 0x234 ~level~
	   PATCH_IF ~level~<9 THEN BEGIN
		  SET ~choice~=RANDOM(1 4)
		  PATCH_IF !(~choice~=1) THEN BEGIN
				ADD_CRE_ITEM ~dw#noptn~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~INV1~
		  END
	   END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

That will block 3/4 of creatures (at random) from getting potions, making an exception for anyone of level 9 or higher; you can probably work out what numbers to alter to change the level exemption or the probabilities. (Not tested.)

I don't know how to thank you, DavidW.

I didn't really expect you'd produce a custom solution just like that...

From what I can see, it is going already to enhance my personal experience with the Potion for NPCs drastically. I also suspect that I am not the only one who might enjoy this extra piece of code.

I'll love to test it once I can finally start playing the game.

By the way, am I right assuming that this piece of code can easily be adapted in the same manner to SCS I's Potions for NPCs?

Thank you again! :)

@"Contra-Potion-People"

I'm wondering about one thing: when enemies use potions like the aforementioned Potion of Magic Shielding what is it that bothers you more? That they're hard to come by for the player and many enemies seem to have them or rather their powerful effects?

I don't know how to thank you, DavidW.

I didn't really expect you'd produce a custom solution just like that...

It didn't exactly take long. (I use undroppable items as ways to "override" the generic scripts; anyone with "dw#noptn" doesn't get potions).

From what I can see, it is going already to enhance my personal experience with the Potion for NPCs drastically. I also suspect that I am not the only one who might enjoy this extra piece of code.

I'll love to test it once I can finally start playing the game.

By the way, am I right assuming that this piece of code can easily be adapted in the same manner to SCS I's Potions for NPCs?

It should work for either.

Arkain,

I am bothered by both.

DavidW,

forgive my ignorance.

Is it okay if I copy paste that bit of code above in .tp2 (both SCS and SCS II) just after:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////	Potions for NPCs
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Or does it need a specific position?

Thanks again!

DavidW,

forgive my ignorance.

Is it okay if I copy paste that bit of code above in .tp2 (both SCS and SCS II) just after:

////	Potions for NPCs

Or does it need a specific position?

Thanks again!

That should work fine. (Again: not tested!)

I'd just point out that using COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.cre$~ ~override~ will affect mod introduced creatures as well.

While generally harmless, giving additional items to creatures without safety checks may potentially cause problems in rare cases, for example when all of the inventory slots of a creature are full.

I'd just point out that using COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.cre$~ ~override~ will affect mod introduced creatures as well.

While generally harmless, giving additional items to creatures without safety checks may potentially cause problems in rare cases, for example when all of the inventory slots of a creature are full.

I accept that's theoretically possible. But does any creature anywhere in the game have all sixteen slots full?

(Is it that relevant that it affects mod-introduced creatures? A third-party mod is as (un)likely to fill all sixteen slots of an existing creature as it is to introduce a new creature with all sixteen slots full.)

Is it that relevant that it affects mod-introduced creatures?

It was more of a "this might affect the content of other mods" note with the safety bit thrown in purely for reference.

Oh, okay.

Actually I'm not usually too bothered about affecting other mods, but in fact this won't have any discernable effect except if they're using WTASIGHT et al.

Guest Alexander

On the potions topic, is there any chance of creating an option in between half potions left and none left? A quarter would seem the natural point between those two. I feel the potions are somewhat necessary for the tougher fights, but at half of the enemies potions left I still feel I gain too many.

A great mod though, truly revitalizes the game.

On the potions topic, is there any chance of creating an option in between half potions left and none left? A quarter would seem the natural point between those two. I feel the potions are somewhat necessary for the tougher fights, but at half of the enemies potions left I still feel I gain too many.

Good idea. (At the moment the method I use to randomise potions is annoyingly fiddly to fine tune, but there's room to improve on this).

There is a slight issue in how to handle mage/priest potions, since they're installed by a different script.

A great mod though, truly revitalizes the game.

Thank you! "Revitalises" sounds about what it's aiming at - I'm trying to make playing the existing game more interesting and challenging, not replace it with a new one.

On the potions topic, is there any chance of creating an option in between half potions left and none left

Now that you mention that, i would like to see some spells like fireball and the like destroying equipment and loot from time to time. That should affect both the CPU and the party.

IIRC, Disintegrate and the Nishruu spells were the only spells that could potentially do such a thing. (through different methods, i guess)

Archived