Hardest fight before Cloakwood?

Guest PetrusOctavianus

Guest PetrusOctavianus

I'm now ready to go to Cloakwood and the hardest battle so far was actually the latest one, against the four Red Wizards.

Using "Make Protection from Normal Missiles block magical missiles" makes this fight extra difficult.

My party consists of:

PC - Morninglord of Lathander

Minsc - Berserker

Ajantis - Paladin

Imoen - Thief

Kivan - Archer

Indira - Fighter/Mage (replaced Garick, who replaced Dynaheir)

I start buffing by casting Prot from Evil and Bless. Would also have casted Remove Fear, but we met some Ogre Magi on the road...

No potions used since we don't *know* there will be a fight.

We rush towards the Red Wizards and they turn hostile.

All but Lasala have Prot Missiles and Denak and Diana have Globes of Invulnerability.

Ajantis and Minsc charges to front, in position to attack Denak and at the same time blocking enemies from escaping down the stairs.

PC starts casting Silence.

Imoen starts hurling a fireball potion.

Indira starts casting Cloud Kill from a scroll.

Kivan moves in position to snipe at Lasala.

Ajantis and Minsc are in place and Ajantis quaffs a Magic Immunity potion, Minsc uses his enrage abilty and they both start attacking Denak.

Imoen's potion do some damage on Lasala and Brendan.

The enemies cast Confusion, confusing PC, Imoen and Indira, but both PC and Indira gets their spells off.

Lasala and Bernard are Silenced and then Lasala dies instantly from the Cloudkill.

PC becomes recipient of Summon Monster spell, while Denakretreats. Ajantis follows him, while Minsc and Kivan attacks the summoned monsters before they chew up my most vulnerable characters.

Kivan and Minsc finish them off, but Indira is killed.

One of the enmies cast Horror and Kivan is horrified, so there's only Ajantis and Minsc left. Minsc guards the stairs, since he's only lvl 6 and may be insta-killed by the Cloudkill. Ajantis finishes off Diana, while they cast ineffectual MM and Melf's Acid Arrows on him.

Ajantis eventually kills Bernard, who has been reduced by the fireball potion and from the Cloudkill.

Denak is still unharmed and is able to get past Minsc.

Now the Confusion and later Horror wears off and alll chase Denak (still Prot from Missiles) like mad. When all his Mirror Images are down he cast a new one, that bastard. More wild chasing after Denak, who seems to have an unlimited supply of MM and Melfs, follows.

Finally he's down to Nearly Dead with no more Mirrors and he quaffs a potion of invilibility, followed by two healing potions and then nothing more happens.

Obviosuly he has now used up all his spells and I have no way to dispel it. And the Potion last for 12 *hours*!

I can't even save or rest because there are enemies around (actually there's only *one* enemy left on the whole map).

Fortunately I find a safe place at the north end of the map and memorize Invisibiliy Purge.

After resting we immediately encounter Denak again, who also must have rested, 'cause he buffs again.

But this time I'm lucky and Ajantis kills him with a Critical that goes through his Mirrors.

I had to reload about 10 times, mostly because even the tiniest player mistake, like casting Cloudkill and fireball potion too close to Minsc and not blocking the stairs properly, quickly escalates. Why the bleep can't the IE games have a bleeping grid?!?

So, what do others think are the hardest fight before Cloakwood and what tactics do you use against the Red Wizards, if you can't use magic arrows against those protected from missiles

Aside from the obvious Drizzt fight (is this even possible without a character capable of stealth), both sets of Relocated Assassins at once would probably be hardest for me.

But out of the fights that aren't made harder by idiot bugs?...

Guest PetrusOctavianus
:) Tarnes to me. He allways makes me reload once twice.

I think ScS's version of Tarnesh is infinitely better than the vanilla one. In ScS he casts spells to neutralize the whole party, like Sleep and Horror. You can usually avoid the whole party being affected by scattering once they see the spell coming.

In vanilla BG he casts Magic Missiles, which will often insatiall the target and if the target is your PC it's Game Over...

BTW, as runner up to the Red Wizards I nominate Karkh.

I don't count Drizzt as you are not supposed to fight him.

Guest PetrusOctavianus

Just beat the snot out of the Iron Throne lackeys outside the mines. With lots of buffing, and despite rather useless (her spells are not much use against two Minor Globes and two fighter with magic shielding potions) Faldorn being in the party, it was much easier than the Red Wizards. But of course, two of the enemy being fighters meant that Kivan and Coran could quickly take them down, while Ajantis, Minsc and Faldorn's Dread Wolf pounded on the two mages.

Nice touch with the almost dead last surviving mage fleeing into the barracks and then casting invisibility.

:) Tarnes to me. He allways makes me reload once twice.

I think ScS's version of Tarnesh is infinitely better than the vanilla one. In ScS he casts spells to neutralize the whole party, like Sleep and Horror. You can usually avoid the whole party being affected by scattering once they see the spell coming.

Interesting case in point of SCS's design philosophy, actually. I reckon using Sleep and Horror gives Tarnesh a higher chance of killing the whole party. From his point of view, killing the protagonist is no good if he then gets splattered by Montaron or someone.

Archived