A program to compress MP3s?

Domi

I have a bunch of VO files, so I'd like to minimize the size as much as possible. So, I was wondering if anyone is using a good MP3 compression program? I tried to DL something called BlazeMP3, but it died in the process of installing itself. Anyone had anything good and in a working condition to recommend?

I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any mp3 compression programs (I deal mostly with .ogg sounds), but from what I understand about mp3s, if you try to compress them more, you'll most likely lose quality.

Ogg files are smaller than mp3s with no quality loss, by the way. The sound editor Audacity can export sounds as oggs (it's the only program I know of that can).

Definitely mp3 is already a "compressed" format - basically, an http:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Mp3 (wow, the new software blocks that wiki link...) is a fancy form of audio compression that works great for voice, and many games now use that format too. I guess you could reduce the size by changing the sampling, or .raring the file, but i am pretty sure that you would be unhappy with the results.

Winlame (winlame.sourceforge.net) is a wonderful encoder front-end and does both MP3 and Ogg output. For MP3 output you'll want to select "Custom Settings" and then crank bitrate down to, say, 96. Any lower and even voice will start to sound a little crunchy. Turn Mono Encoding on (unless your VO has stereo effects and I'm betting it doesn't.)

Ah, no. I am already 96 and mono (and can't do otherwise, NWN2 is *very* sensitive to the voice format). I tried the DietMP3, but it didn't reduce the size any - I guess it's good for music only. So, I guess, there is nothing for it.

I dunno, you could try converting them to OGGs as Grand_Dracolich (sort of) suggested - try Free-Mp3-Wma-Converter or the like. The OGG format is not typically lossless though, but if you're converting to and from MP3s (also a lossy format) it shouldn't really matter. If you're doing it in a mod to save space, you can include a batch reconversion to MP3s like IE mods do with oggdec.

Ah, no. I am already 96 and mono (and can't do otherwise, NWN2 is *very* sensitive to the voice format). I tried the DietMP3, but it didn't reduce the size any - I guess it's good for music only. So, I guess, there is nothing for it.

Two remaining possibilities:

1. Cut down the sampling rate from 44 KHz to 22 or 11.

2. Write shorter lines of dialogue.

Nope, can't do OGG. NWN2 takes its own format (fake WAVs), and for converter to work, I have to use source MP3s. Can't go to 22 KHz, otherwise it won't play in game if it was converted from MP3, and at any rate, did not see size going down with 44 to 22 switch. I do short lines of dialogue - under 12 sec each (lip animation), but there is a lot of it :)

Someone told me that they managed to use 22 kHz WAVs compressed to some sort of compressed WAV format (?). Which was not MP3 or OGG, just WAV but compressed. Anyone heard of those?

No, what he was talking about was not IE compressed format. Just some way to make the wavs per se smaller, while they remained WAVs. Anyway, I think I will just stick with MP3s. If it has to be 150 Megs of sound, let it be 150 Megs. :)

Someone told me that they managed to use 22 kHz WAVs compressed to some sort of compressed WAV format (?). Which was not MP3 or OGG, just WAV but compressed. Anyone heard of those?
I dunno, maybe using ACM? Which might also be what WAVC is (and maybe NWN's format, who knows).

Archived