ACM/WAV conversion

Miloch

What does DLTCEP use to do ACM/WAVC/WAV conversion? I'm wondering if it can be replicated in WeiDU to avoid using external utilities when modding sounds. In this case, we are extending some sound clips with blank space to account for frame rate setting differences.

It is. At least, if you meant Abel's code. It was public domain earlier, but to make sure, i wrote him (when i included it in gemrb and dltcep) and got a written consent :)

Here is the part of the letter regarding acmlab:

A> I hope you grant us our request, at least the ACM one.

Sure. You can use the source code in terms of GPL.

Btw, the code involved was seriously rewritten, and to convert it to ocaml, you also have to change it further. Since you write new code from a gpl-ed source, you should be ok. I won't sue anyone using gemrb/dltcep code in a GPL'ed source (couldn't do it anyway, since both are GPL). Just telling :laugh:

I did look at the code, and it doesn't look so hideous that it'd be unworkable to convert it. But my knowledge of C/C++ is pretty sparse and I know pretty much zero about OCaml, so I doubt I could do much with it. Maybe produce an external WeiDU macro that emulates it, but probably not even that.

If the concern is about some sort of "proprietary patent" on the ACM format, well, no one's even been able to give a definitive answer about whether that even exists. I personally am not too concerned about it, unless someone starts selling soundtracks with ripped ACMs produced from the code or something.

ACM is an outdated format of a dead company.

I believe the new owner is EA (who bought the ruins of Interplay/BlackIsle).

If baldur's gate were made today, it would be made with .ogg.

(See recent bioware games).

I believe that new EA titles of the same genre will come out with .ogg.

Ogg is an open source format superior to mp3 and acm.

So, i don't think any IP is destroyed in supporting the sellability (because of modding) of some old games, when new games come out with ogg.

In any case, patents shouldn't bar anyone from using a GPL-ed code :)

I thought JC has copyright issues (which he shouldn't).

I believe the new owner is EA (who bought the ruins of Interplay/BlackIsle).

EA hasn't acquired Interplay, it still barely exists.

I thought JC has copyright issues (which he shouldn't).

The code I found is listed with a copyright and no particular licensing permissions. You usually can't just drop conventionally copyrighted code into a GPL product, it's not "compatible." It's one of those places where the GPL is a pain in the neck and prevents people from doing things they think should be easy. I guess if he declared it public domain, that's different, but I didn't find any evidence of that.

Archived