The problem with dead partners

PetrusOctavianus

I think there's one thing this mod has overlooked and that is the problem with dead partners. If Khalid dies, Jaheira never mentions it, but keeps talking as if he's still alive ("Khalid and I are light sleepers"). Also, Kagain talks to Montaron about "your buddy over there" (or something similar) even though Xzar was killed by Tarnesh long before Kagain even joined the party.

I guess most players just reload or resurrect their characters ASAP, and that the chance of these problem arising is considered too small to be worth writing dialogue for?

I am confused, I thought there is quite a definite reaction from Jaheira if Khalid is dead, at least if the PC kicks her out of the party..

But in general, there are no separate dialogue paths for the case that one member of the coupled NPCs is dead, no.

There are some places where it does make a difference, like the whole Jaheira Quest - different options open up if Khalid is dead, or if he is not in the party. There certanly are (scattered about) reactions for deaths of various folks, but there is no systematic treatment.

Much like the whole "but I made Jaheira into a Cleric and she still talks like she is a Druid" thing, there are just too many combinations for the authors to have thought of (and most of those options didn't exist when the authors were writing their stuff :) ).

That being said, if there is a glaringly obvious weirdness, please report it. We just had a report that turned out to be a loophole; Alora started tyalking about how cute Coran was, and Coran had been in the party but had been dropped off somewhere. The code did not include the check to see if Coran was actually present, so it fired. We can fix stuff like that, for sure.

I am confused, I thought there is quite a definite reaction from Jaheira if Khalid is dead, at least if the PC kicks her out of the party..

But in general, there are no separate dialogue paths for the case that one member of the coupled NPCs is dead, no.

Well, in my game Khalid died early. He usually does that in my games...not that I suicide him but in nearly all my games in the first fight some low level punk of a Gibberling or Xvart usually scores a critical on the first attack on Khalid. I think he's cursed...

There was the vanilla reaction from Jaheira and then Khalid was never mentioned again untill Jaheria warned Montaron abou her and Khalid being light sleepers.

E:\BG1NPC_Workspace\bg1npc-v17\bg1npc\tra\english\x#jaheira.tra

@204  = ~You are the right sort of woman, Jaheira. And you know how to keep the sissy males on their toes. I do not think that I myself can stand one so close and for so long, but you schooled your hubby well. He is practically your servant, your boy-page... that’s not that bad.~

Related E:\BG1NPC_Workspace\bg1npc-v17\bg1npc\phase1\dlg\x#jaheira.d

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~%BGT_VAR% CombatCounter(0) InParty("sharteel") Global("X#JASH1","LOCALS",0) !See([ENEMY]) See("sharteel") !StateCheck("sharteel",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~%JAHEIRA_BANTER%~ JASH1
@203
DO ~SetGlobal("X#JASH1","LOCALS",1)~
== ~%SHARTEEL_BANTER%~ @204
== ~%JAHEIRA_BANTER%~ @205
== ~%SHARTEEL_BANTER%~ @206
EXIT

bug confirmed: banter will play even if Khalid is not around - whether kicked out, killed, or not met by SharTeel. Repairing to include an InParty condition for Khalid, as it is the safest way to assume that Shar-Teel has both seen Khalid and Jaheira in action and is not talking about someone she has never met:

new code,

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~%BGT_VAR% CombatCounter(0) InParty("sharteel") Global("X#JASH1","LOCALS",0) !See([ENEMY]) See("sharteel") !StateCheck("sharteel",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID) InParty("khalid")~ THEN ~%JAHEIRA_BANTER%~ JASH1
@203
DO ~SetGlobal("X#JASH1","LOCALS",1)~
== ~%SHARTEEL_BANTER%~ @204
== ~%JAHEIRA_BANTER%~ @205
== ~%SHARTEEL_BANTER%~ @206
EXIT

same for Montaron/Jaheira, same source:

@199  = ~Montaron, I'll let you know before we camp that Khalid and I *are* light sleepers, so take care which direction you tread should you... oh... just happen to get up in the middle of the night.~

related .d now reads

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~%BGT_VAR% CombatCounter(0) InParty("khalid") InParty("montaron") Global("X#JAMO1","LOCALS",0) !See([ENEMY]) See("montaron") !StateCheck("montaron",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~%JAHEIRA_BANTER%~ JAMO1
@199
DO ~SetGlobal("X#JAMO1","LOCALS",1)~
== ~%MONTARON_BANTER%~ @200
== ~%JAHEIRA_BANTER%~ @201
== ~%MONTARON_BANTER%~ @202
EXIT

Serarching the rest of these, I am not sure we can do much more. But if people end up with a jarring experiecne , we can take a look at the specific circumstances :)

Archived