EEEWW!

Guest Hi Hi Hi Hi

Can I just say "thank you" for your Sarevok encounter. It has now just topped out as my favourite of all the encounters.
I was very happy when I saw it for the first time, too - Aeryn rocks.

Thank you for the kind words, really. It's very nerve-wracking putting stuff out there because I have no idea how people will take it. :)

As for the power struggle in an evil relationship, yes I agree that it would make things more interesting. The only thing for me is that I just don't find Sarevok specifically appealing in that way. He's highly intelligent and cunning, but he is also excessively proud, making him very dangerous for the PC to have around at all. In my opinion, he would only ride along in her wake, using her power for his own gain until he saw the right moment to get his revenge, and then he would kill her (or try to). (I just realized that I've never played through ToB as evil, so I don't even know what his evil epilogue is. :( I'm just going off my own impression of his personality traits.) I just can't picture any other outcome since an evil Sarevok is not likely to "forgive and forget" the past between himself and the PC, no matter how "romantic" their relationship becomes. I hope that makes sense. :D

In the unmodded version, the good and evil endings are exactly the same. If you play with Ascension then not redeeming him is a *really* bad move (spoiler: Melissan makes him an offer he can't refuse during the final battle and he'll side with her against you. If he's good, though, he'll tell her to stick it.).

The epilogue you get with Ascension is just a slightly longer version of the normal epilogue, so no real change there.

As for an actual romance, I've thought about it and can't actually see that a romance for Chaotic Evil Sarevok would be viable, for the reasons Aeryn gives. I think the only way he'd stay true to the PC is if she ascended and offered him a place at her side once he died (in exchange for him acting as her disciple or somesuch). Even then, it wouldn't really be romantic love - it'd be a case of one using the other.

CG Sarevok - maybe, but it would be a very rocky relationship. The PC would practically have to be a saint to put up with his grumpiness and mood swings, especially once the hot-sex-every-night phase was over (c'mon, happens to us all, tbh!) :)

I think the Sarevok encounter is not 'eeeww' at all. :) Well - written, very 'in character' (and Sarevok, as I often say, is extremely hard to portray). There should, methinks, be a 'morning after' talk. CHARNAME's brother may be a heartless bastard, but getting so physically close to the woman who killed him would sure be something unusual enough to make a comment (and a more extensive one than the ones he gives right after the 'action').

BTW, why only for good characters? Is it because he would not trust an evil one enough? Still, it's somewhat strange: sleeping with the murderer of one's foster father (who is a kind of an undead at that) is rather an evil thing to do... (don't call me narrow - minded, I'm just using simplified terms).

BTW, why only for good characters?

Unfortunately, that had nothing to do with what I wanted, but more with what the game had limited me to. When the PC is evil, the healing pools in the second challenge don't heal, they harm. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to take a nice relaxing bath in, say...acid. :D So, as much as I think an evil character fits the encounter, using the pools sort of limited me, but I wasn't willing to write it any other way. :(

Edit: Also, I would have loved to do a "morning after" type talk, but at least for me, I can't see Sarevok being willing to talk about it unless it amused him. Like, if the PC was romancing Anomen...

Anomen: My lady love, you look positively radiant this morning. I am pleased to see that your bath last night did wonders for you. Perhaps you should consider relaxing there every night before our rest.

Sarevok: (smiles darkly) For once the fool has an idea I agree with.

Anomen: No one was speaking to you, cur. I suggest that you...my lady? Why are you blushing?

:)

Or, as it is in-game, lava. I suppose you get enough Potions of Fire Resistance.

*points* Or that. I've never actually played evil, so I've never seen it. :) I just knew it wasn't something anyone would want to bathe in.

My bad, I forgot what the pools did, hehe. But... it does not HAVE to be there, right? Could be two options... I think the best place for an evil PC/Sarevok encounter would be the ruined temple in Forest of Mir. Dark and disturbing as bloody hell, heh. May sound like a joke, but I mean it.

Well, I think Sarevok could mention what happened - in a cruel way, letting CHARNAME know that she should not make a habit of it.

Just a thought. :)

Hmm...I never thought about writing an evil one in a different location. It has possibilities, although I fear the result of letting my imagination run too wild with a darker encounter. At least one of them would end up bleeding... :):(

As for a morning after talk, if I ever get off my rear and figure out how to do all the coding/scripting junk, I wouldn't be against re-submitting my encounters. The likelihood of that happening is slim, however - unless someone wants to volunteer to babysit my four kids (and husband) while I learn how to mod properly. :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Good/Evil results of the Trials are not determined by your PC's alignment, but rather by your conversation options with the Solar. A Chaotic Good PC could get snippy with the Solar and wind up with the lava pools, etc.

Or, given how long it's been since I've seriously played ToB, I could be wrong. But you were going to playtest this anyway, right?

Quite: you tell her the truth that Gorion is a freaking murderer, she gets annoyed, you get evil points. First challenge depends on your actual alignment, though.

(Note that you can screw Cyric anyway. Watch out for that Ravager encounter in version 3.14).

Guest katling

Firstly, I'd just like to congratulate Aeryn on a great piece of writing - my favourite RE encounter yet! I also thoroughly enjoyed your fanfic "Insomnia" - loved the idea of the taint being drawn to Sarevok... intriguing stuff :)

I don't find it "eww" at all - but then I've been hoping for a Sarevok romance mod forever... to bad the one over at RPG Dungeon is dead :(

I do think there should be a day-after conversation (especially if the PC was in a relationship already), but I agree, it would be hard to write. The more I think about it, the more I find it spiralling into a romance-esque plot. That being said, I'm definitely from the school of thought that it's better for something to be underwritten then overwritten, and this encounter is excellent as it stands.

Guest HighTimeRodeo

Hey, It's HighTimeRodeo here, Cal will probably recongize me, but I'm working on a Sarevok Romance mod, if anyone has any ideas or would like to help out, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Guest HighTimeRodeo
Hey, It's HighTimeRodeo here, Cal will probably recongize me, but I'm working on a Sarevok Romance mod, if anyone has any ideas or would like to help out, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, Me again.

It's over at Spellhold in the Mod Ideas section, forgot to mention it first time 'round, sorry.

If you need any feedback on evil PC type things, I could probably help there. No idea why, but I've been quite obsessed with wicked characters recently and I just love them. :( (And sorry to post this here - I'm not registered at Spellhold and I only have a few minutes before I run out the door. :() Best of luck with the mod though. It would be great to see it get finished.

Archived