Too many open files

Guest Aximus

I'm trying to install BG2 tweaks on Tutu and I keep getting this weird error message after taking a real long time setting up all these files in the cmd.exe It says:

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, Exiting!

Sys_error("Setup-Tweaks.exe: Too many open files")

I'm using Vista and a bunch of the mods from this list:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...ic=8122&hl=

Any ideas on how to get this to work.

This turns up so often...

Basically, all you have to do is go to weidu.org and download the latest version of WeiDU, v20800, copy it to your TuTu directory and delete the current setup-bg2tweaks.exe and rename your new WeiDU.exe to setup-bg2tweaks.exe and run it. Then it should work.

Icen

Yes Icendoan is right about the fix...

My guess is that the problem raised because you closed the WeiDU window the wrong way, with the x, not with the Enter at the end... as this left the former WeiDU versions WeiDU.lock file to the directory... thus preventing anymore installs from firing, on the former version(before v2.06). Or somesuch...

My guess is that the problem raised because you closed the WeiDU window the wrong way, with the x, not with the Enter at the end... as this left the former WeiDU versions WeiDU.lock file to the directory... thus preventing anymore installs from firing, on the former version(before v2.06). Or somesuch...

This is not weidu.lock, it's the eviler update loop. The chain of bugs behind this problem is longer than my penis.

CMorgan (or somebody else): can you please update the bg2tweaks archive so that it doesn't use the .bat installer?

I just had a similar problem, although it wasn't giving the error, just seemingly updating until the end of time.

I was installing the Tweak Pack on BG2 (not ToB) on XP.

I did something similar to the fix here, though I took a bit of a shortcut and just copied and renamed the fixpack exe to the bg tweaks one - and it works fine!

thought you should probably know that the file is still outdated?

I downloaded from the g3 mirror...

I just had a similar problem, although it wasn't giving the error, just seemingly updating until the end of time.

I was installing the Tweak Pack on BG2 (not ToB) on XP.

I did something similar to the fix here, though I took a bit of a shortcut and just copied and renamed the fixpack exe to the bg tweaks one - and it works fine!

thought you should probably know that the file is still outdated?

I downloaded from the g3 mirror...

I noticed the same thing, actually.

I was adding the G3 Fixpack and G3 Tweaks to an install and got the same error as above ("too many open files").

It appears that the Fixpack contains WeiDU 20400 and Tweaks contains 20200. Since the current WeiDU is 20800, it would appear that both of the downloads need to be updated to the current version.

In the meantime, I did the same thing panteras mentioned above to get Tweaks to install, and it worked perfectly.

BTW ~ Thanks to all of the contributors to this mod for making the install process a breeze! It sure makes life easier and the mods themselves make gameplay much better.

Steve

Hi,

I'm installing BGII and TOB on a fresh version of Windows XP. I'm not familiar with the mods, which may be the source of my problems. I'm having the same problem as others in this post, namely the tweak pack gives me the "too many open files error".

I see this work around, but I'n not quite sure what pantherus is saying.

Is he saying I should rename "BG2_Fixpack-v7" to "BG2_Tweaks-v6", or the other way around, or am I misunderstanding this completely.

Thanks, both for future answers and also to the folks that made the fixpack and tweak path. I'm excited to play BGII after many years (never did finish yet).

I see this work around, but I'n not quite sure what pantherus is saying.

Is he saying I should rename "BG2_Fixpack-v7" to "BG2_Tweaks-v6", or the other way around, or am I misunderstanding this completely.

Well basically no, as the intent is to say that you need to rename the setup-bg2tweakpack.exe that gives you the error (while it's trying to update itself) to something else like setup-bg2tweakpack1.exe(or you can delete the whole thing), then copy the WeiDU.exe in the game directory so you get another named "WeiDU - Copy.exe", and then rename that as setup-bg2tweakpack.exe and then run it again to install the mod.

This is called manual updating the WeiDU.exe in the installer...

And yes, the setup-*modname*.exe is just a WeiDU.exe renamed so that it takes command from the setup-*modname*.tp2 -file. This is also the reason why it needs to be updated...

Archived