two quick questions

lac

I am playing BGTutu with the BG1 GUI mod installed. But I cannot seem to figure out how to view my own proficiencies, or (more importantly) those that the NPCs I meet show up with. I feel most silly going out and using ShadowKeeper just to get a look. Can somebody explain how to get a proficiencies screen?

second, what is the deal with the beregost crash? If I save before I enter beregost, make a

save inside beregost, and then immediately leave, and all is well, can I assume that all will be well

no matter how much business I take care of in beregost? so I should go back to the in beregost save

and do as much as I like before leaving?

Or is the preferred strategy to live town after you have done anything significant, and come back, because there is no way to know if your save is corrupted except by trying to leave? It's leaving,

correct, which causes the problem, not entering?

thanks very much,

Laura

I am playing BGTutu with the BG1 GUI mod installed. But I cannot seem to figure out how to view my own proficiencies, or (more importantly) those that the NPCs I meet show up with. I feel most silly going out and using ShadowKeeper just to get a look. Can somebody explain how to get a proficiencies screen?
Just roll down the character sheet as usual.

I have never had the beregos crash, so I don't know...

Ah, thank you. I don't know why I didn't notice that it was scrollable ....

Another foolish question -- how do you talk to party members, so you can get them to leave? All I am getting is 'Imoen has nothing to say to you' and the like.

It has clearly been way too long since I have played this game.

You have to go into the characters sheet menu (R by default?) and from there click on "Reform Party". That should let you kick them out. By the way if you install "Player Initiated Dialogues" from BG1NPC mod, you can actually talk to your party members :)

As for the Beregost crash, it only happened to me once, and was after quick saving inside Taerom's smithy and then trying to reload. Using the Beregost Crash Fixer worked for me. Anyway, it is suggested to make a safe save before entering Beregost, and once you're done in town, exit as normal and save again. If you can reload that last save without problems you're good to go, otherwise you have to use the fixer or reload the 'before Beregost' safe save and re-do everything again.

Thank you. I believed I had that component installed, but checking the logs, it's not there. Grumble grumble looks like I get to install again.

re beregost: I don't think I did a good job of explaining last night what I was thinking. Let me try again. I have come up with 2 alternative models of how the crashes occur, without having seen one of my own.

model A is: something happened during the process of entering Beregost

Every time you physically enter Beregost there is some chance that you will ruin your save. Just by entering, you have determined whether a later save done outside of beregost will work or not. Nothing you can do inside town will damage a perfectly fine game -- though naturally nothing you can do inside town will fix a broken one, either.

model B is: Something you do in Beregost breaks games

We don't know what this is; it could be entering buildings or talking to people or solving quests, or shuffling your inventory, or doing certain actions in a certain order ... could be anything. What's more, since the bug has resisted being nailed down and fixed, there are probably multiple ways to provoke it. It's not called the Entering the Smithy after pickpocketting all over town in Beregost bug after all :-) .

There are other models, such as it only happens if you leave town using the exit closest to the Jovial Juggler which I have currently filed under superstitions and am not making any use of in designing a strategy to make it less likely that I will have to redo a lot of work due to the bug.

If Model A is correct, then the optimal strategy would be, for every time you want to visit Beregost, save before entering, immediately save inside, leave town, try to save again ... if this fails you go back to the just before Beregost save, and repeat the process until it succeeds. Once it succeeds, load up the in Beregost save. You now know that you won't lose any work this trip to Beregost, so you can play normally from the point on.

If Model B is correct, then you should likewise save before entering, but then you should do one interesting thing, and then save. Then leave town. Try to save again. If it fails, go back to your before beregost save. If it succeeds, go back to your in in town save, known to be uncorrupt, and do a second interesting thing. save again. Then leave town, try to save, and if it fails, go back to your first save in Beregost, and redo your last interesting thing. If it succeeds, go back to your second save (which you now know is safe) and do a third interesting thing. save again. leave again. Repeat, rolling back if necessary to 'save N-1 in Beregost ' until you are out of interesting things you want to do. Should you run into problems you will only lose 'the last interesting thing I did' and not a whole afternoon's worth of interesting things.

I am acting under the assumption that model B is correct. But I wanted to check and make sure that it wasn't model A that I should be following.

Thanks very much,

Laura

Those questions maybe would be better answered by the person who designed the Beregost Crash Fixer (BCF?), who probably has experimented more things against this bug.

In my case, I'd tend to lean towards model B, but that's just because I had a normal save working inside Beregost, in the Jovial Juggler, and a minute later a quick-save in Taerom's was corrupted. However, BCF's documentation states that "entering or leaving Beregost" can corrupt the save-game file, but that could be just a way to explain things in a readme.

What I do is save always before entering Beregost, then do everything I want to do there, and pray the save works after I leave. So far this tactic has gone well :) Although since the Beregost Crash Fixer worked for me once, I'm (over?)confident it will work again should something go bad.

EDIT: horrible grammar (most likely unfixable in my case)

Archived