Crash at the Gates with Fixpack installed

Guest jft-sake

Guest jft-sake

Originally I posted my problem at the bioware forums but now this place seems more appropriate because I figured out that it is caused by the G3 Fixpack v6 (in combination with my machine, at least).

I'll c&p from there:

my game crashes (Vista automatically terminates) when the area loading screen of The Gates is finished (other areas work).

After reading a bit in the forums I tried this Console thing to move to the gates (ar0020) with the same result.

Other posts suggested, that it might be a corrupted game file. But in earlier Savegames it is still possible to enter. So if the map does not change and is not saved in the savegame this seems unlikely.

Unfortunately this earlier sagegame is quite a bit earlier (I just didn't have to go to The Gates for some time), so I don't want to replay it.

In case it helps, I can approximately tell the place in the game, after which this problem exists.

I was in Chapter 3 and had completed approx. 85% of the optional quests, when in was still possible to enter the gate. Then I went to Trademeet, did the Animal and Djinni Quests and from that Savegame on it is no longer possible to enter The Gates.

[...]

The crash is connected to the installation of the G3 fixpack core fixes: Installed core fixes -> crash; uninstalled no crash. Reproducable.

Now my question is:

Will everything work out, when I play the Gate part w/o core fixes and reinstall them afterwards or might this mess up some variables?

Guest jft-sake
Wasn't this somehow related to the death of Faldorn and the removal of the messenger?

Try CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("cefald01","SPRITE_IS_DEAD",0) and then enter the area.

Thanks for the tip. This Faldorn event would fit the description, although I don't see a connection to the gates.

Unforunately it doesn't seem to work. Am I supposed to get some feedback after entering the command? It just displays in the message window.

Anyway, will I likely run into problems when I uninstall and install the Fixpack for every visit at the gates? It's inconvenient, but if there is no other solution...

Thanks for the tip. This Faldorn event would fit the description, although I don't see a connection to the gates.

Fixpack adds a script block, that removes the messenger in the gate area when Faldorn is dead.

Unforunately it doesn't seem to work. Am I supposed to get some feedback after entering the command? It just displays in the message window.

Haven't tried that myself and I can't test it right now. It probably should tell you, that it has set the variable to 0.

Anyway, will I likely run into problems when I uninstall and install the Fixpack for every visit at the gates? It's inconvenient, but if there is no other solution...

I don't think that you will run into problems.

Are you familiar with Near Infinity or DLTCEP?

It will only take one minute to deactivate the offending script block.

Guest jft-sake
Haven't tried that myself and I can't test it right now. It probably should tell you, that it has set the variable to 0.

Hmm. I don't think there is much I could have done wrong. Ctrl-Space, write the command, enter. Probably no feedback here.

Not at all.

But I can live (play) with it. Thanks for your help. :)

Not at all.

But I can live (play) with it. Thanks for your help. :)

Try this:

Uninstall BG2 Fixpack, open up bg2fixpack/baf/ar0020.baf in your favourite text editor and add a False() trigger, so that it looks like:

IF
 False()
 Dead("cefald01")
 InMyArea("messen")
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("messen",DestroySelf())
END

Reinstall the Fixpack and try again.

Guest jft-sake
Try this:

Uninstall BG2 Fixpack, open up bg2fixpack/baf/ar0020.baf in your favourite text editor and add a False() trigger, so that it looks like:

IF
 False()
 Dead("cefald01")
 InMyArea("messen")
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride("messen",DestroySelf())
END

Reinstall the Fixpack and try again.

That did it. Excellent!

So am I supposed to find a messanger at the gates now?

Archived