Keeping Yoshimo [Alpha] v0.67 [BUGS]

Icendoan

Since this is a proof of concept, I still believe it'd be best to convert what little you have now to keep using the yoshimo death variable (via my patch) rather than using different DVs like you are doing now. To each his/her own of course.

I am confused as to why. There is probably little content past Spellhold, and none implemented, and afaik, no other mods are requiring any of it.

And you can either get the download from here or e-mail me.

Icen

I am confused as to why. There is probably little content past Spellhold, and none implemented, and afaik, no other mods are requiring any of it.

Because

1) Jon Von NPC can do his banter with Yoshimo even if it triggers in CH6, without any coding

2) Yoshi can do his interjection with Bob Von Quest Character even if you do the quest in CH6, without any coding

3) the character development you did to Yoshi is kept for the rest of the game

Yes, in some (rare) cases it might be a good idea to rewrite instances of #1 and #2 *. However, #3 is inexcusable.

*: I'm not exactly familiar with ALL of Yoshi's interjections and banters. However, consider an interjection like "I don't like X, I think he's going to betray us." which would be a prime candidate for refactor if you were to reimplement everything.

Pre-CH4: the (player) reaction is "thanks for the warning, but betrayal means cool items so I'll fall into the trap" (I.E. no noticeable character building).

Left like that post-CH4: "Ironic for him to say that.", "he knows betrayers well, maybe I should listen to him.", "maybe he's just trying to divert attention from himself." (I.E. it adds some multi-dimensional characterization).

If Minsc replies with "you should not talk about betrayers", the player will forget about the Yoshimo character building and leave thinking "Gee, thank you Captain Obvious".

Also, points made in posts where your signature is longer than your post automatically fail.

3) the character development you did to Yoshi is kept for the rest of the game
That's the most crusial point. How is it solved currently? Will the mod Yoshimo have the same items and abilities the original one had? As far as I know, that was not feasible by a new cre and the drawback from any attempt to make a new yoshimo.cre to keep him after Spellhold.

As a player, I would appreciate checking the possibility to keep the original Yoshimo, as for me it is a draw back if he will be different to what I trained him. If there would be no other way, I'd be quiet, but since there seems to be a fairly easy way, I would be happy if you'd consider it. my 2c

Also, points made in posts where your signature is longer than your post automatically fail.

Dang, going to have to shorten my signature. I might do that, your post made it clearer.

Jastey, what it currently happening is that there is a RP aspect to him not walking about in 30,000gp. He gives the party everything and then leaves until after spellhold.

Icen

Dang, going to have to shorten my signature. I might do that, your post made it clearer.

Jastey, what it currently happening is that there is a RP aspect to him not walking about in 30,000gp. He gives the party everything and then leaves until after spellhold.

Icen

Right, we have Biggs kind update for the code, meaning that and Lv1NPCs changes will be preserved no matter of install, and that there is no new Yoshimo so compatibilty should have increased, and you will see any hidden content there is for him :)

Up to v0.2

Icen

Right, we have Biggs kind update for the code, meaning that and Lv1NPCs changes will be preserved no matter of install, and that there is no new Yoshimo so compatibilty should have increased, and you will see any hidden content there is for him :)

Up to v0.2

Icen

*cough*Hell dialog*cough*

I'm guessing from what I've read that this will not be following a similar vein to what was originally intended for Yoshi in ToB?

I've been advised by one person so far (Kulyok) that we're in desperate need a proofreader, lol! I wish I had time to play the game through to see for myself, I just don't right now. I did proofread the dialogues for typos using a spellchecker. Is she referring to organization, I wonder? Icen and I worked out what seems a reliable system for understanding between us* how the dialogue nodes are to be organized... Anyway, over the next couple days I'll see if I can get in-game, pick up Yoshi, and use MoveToArea to try to check the dialogues.

* I'm a non-coder with aspirations to learn how.

Although, that could be rather cool. We might follow something similar. (1 dialogue option for the quest end?)

Icen

Hmm, that's true. Our ToB quest could include among several possible outcomes that if Yoshi is killed, he then later appears as a ghost, right? I.e., as long as we provide the option to keep him alive all the way to the end, i.e., he can also survive the quest. Because I expect many players will prefer to keep him all the way to the final battle with Melissan.

Not sure if Yoshi becoming a ghost would have quite the same impact then, though... I mean compared with whatever Bioware intended for him.

Although, come to think of it... the quest is going to be in a humorous vein (as counterpoint to some of the weightier moral material in the dialogues); so maybe Yoshi's return (a single appearance) as a ghost later could be somewhat whimiscal and break the fourth wall slightly with a veiled reference to the irony of ending up a ghost. :)

Anway, I expect most players will simply reload to keep him alive in any circumstance where he could die. But it might be fun to offer this tidbit.

Archived