Any help with what might be causing my Tutu freezes? =(

Guest Dhialls

My Tutu install seems to randomly freeze fairly often, and it's quite annoying. It seems to happen when I perform an action, but I'm not sure: like, clicking on a doorway, or an item, etc. The background audio starts to loop and it soon just locks up. Does anyone have any idea what I might be able to do? My weidu.log is below. Any help is realllllly appreciated. =)

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/stabwound/WeiDU.log

Both bottomless bags of holding & SCS can cause pauses/slowdowns, but not sure about freezes.

Your installation is pretty similar to mine except I don't have Easytutu NPC kits, anything from Tutufix or Lost Items. Nothing looks obviously problematic in those three (although you do seem to have two happy patches installed, and two mods restoring Viconia's portrait).

Have you tried messing around with your audio options (eg. ambient sounds)? I've heard these can cause problems.

Yeah, some soundcards can have issues these days with the older software in BG1/2. I had something similar where entering certain areas caused the sound to loop up into an ever loudening scream before crashing. Ambient sounds is probably a good first step.

Guest Dhialls

Well, I disabled ambient sounds and it still happens. I actually played through Tutu in its entirety in the past, and it worked fine. This is a new install with some different mods, though, so that could be the reason.

The freezes seem to be when I perform an action, like, it just froze after I double clicked on Viconia's portrait. Maybe I should try disabling bottomless containers and limitless stacks?

It's possible, nay, likely, that your override folder is pushing the limits of your computer.

Tutu isn't like BG2. In BG2, most of the game scripts and all just buzz happily along, no problem, but with Tutu, the entire game, pretty much, exists as the override folder, but all the BG2 scripts are still there as well. That makes it pretty big, pretty clunky, and very slow. You might want to try uninstalling BG1NPC Music, and seeing if that helps.

Guest Dhialls

Hmmm, well, I finally realized that the crash was happening with atioglxx.dll, which is an ATI driver. I did some googling, and apparently opengl implementation is broken in the ATI 8.8 drivers, which happen to be the drivers I have installed, and apparently someone on the bioware forums had the exact problem I'm having and fixed it by rolling back the drivers.

I've done that, and haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I'm pretty sure that was the issue.

Archived