Xan splits

Guest LadyRolePlay

Guest LadyRolePlay

I am playing the BGT-Weidu version of the mega mod and had a problem free installation, of the non expert version, which has Xan romance and friendship installed and also leave your party members at an inn. I am currently in BG itself, playing a CG female human fighter, with a 'heroic' reputation.

I need to do the Gnoll stronghold quest, and knowing Dyaneir is there, I went to the inn to drop Xan off temporarily. When I dismiss him, he says something about the party being hopeless, and runs out.. I have no idea where. We'd been getting along fine in the friendship talks, he seemed fine. I've even done one Xan quest.. where there are these elven slaves, and I say I am under your command moonblade or something like that, anyway I help him. Our conversations have gone very well, it's obvious he is attracted and etc, though there is no romance. Will there be someplace I can pick him up again, or have I seen the last of him for this game. Is there some point better than another to drop him? I need on occasion to pick up and drop off party members, always do it at an inn.

I thought it would be possible to leave them and repick them up I also left Kivan there, to pick up Minsc and he doesn't go anywhere and will rejoin. After dropping him I can ask him to rejoin, or wait at such and such a place., Jaheir, Zar, and their companions have also patiently waited, as has Gavin once, and Branwyr is also. He's my first problem pc that way. I really enjoy him and the interactions, but for slepping out of the stronghold with Dyanheir, I have my hands full keeping one caster alive :) I'm playing w/ the Sword Coast Strat one and two mods installed, plus the one awarding half xp for everything. I still can't understand why they see lvl three and four mages a threat, when my fighter and Ajantis are the ones wailing on em, but they do.

Suggestions anyone. Or is it because he's true neutral to my chaotic goodness :(

The true neutral dudes and dudettes leave at extremes of reputation, both bad and good, unless you install a tweak from BG2 Tweaks that has NPCs stay put... on BGT, I think there is a companion component in BGT Tweaks. So if you have an earlier save, by all means go back and don't let him out of the party or click-talk (PID) on him until we can help you edit your game so that he doesn't leave!

There is a dialog that kicks in at the top of his "post - joined" file that causes him to take off if the party reputation is too high or too low for his listed alignment.

If you have Near Infinity, we can help you edit the game files to stop him from taking off at that high a reputation without messing with the regular game behavior - it just means editing part of his dialog and script. In BGT, it will be a dialog that starts with "HappinessLT(0)", I think, that needs to be changed to "HappinessLT(-290)"... so then he will only leave on a reputation of 20.

Guest LadyRolePlay
The true neutral dudes and dudettes leave at extremes of reputation, both bad and good, unless you install a tweak from BG2 Tweaks that has NPCs stay put... on BGT, I think there is a companion component in BGT Tweaks. So if you have an earlier save, by all means go back and don't let him out of the party or click-talk (PID) on him until we can help you edit your game so that he doesn't leave!

There is a dialog that kicks in at the top of his "post - joined" file that causes him to take off if the party reputation is too high or too low for his listed alignment.

If you have Near Infinity, we can help you edit the game files to stop him from taking off at that high a reputation without messing with the regular game behavior - it just means editing part of his dialog and script. In BGT, it will be a dialog that starts with "HappinessLT(0)", I think, that needs to be changed to "HappinessLT(-290)"... so then he will only leave on a reputation of 20.

TYFM (Thank you very much!) I will go do as you suggest now, I had not expected such a fast response.

You are right I do have the tweaks to keep them from leaving, which is why it caught me by surprise. Ermm my reputation is a twenty already, maybe I can edit that. IRL I am so very tender hearted, and I can't bring myself to ever be mean! Even in a game, if my rep is twenty already would this still work? :)

If your rep is already at 20, then he will still leave. I suspect that setting that dialog to an impossible condition will solve your problme permanently; worst comes to worst, make note of your changes so you can revert them. There will probably be two conditions on the dialog, if I remember the BGT differences. You could try changing it to

HappinessLT(-300)

or, better yet, instead of editing the happiness value simply add a new condition to the dialog:

Global("LadyRolePlayStay","GLOBAL",1)

The advantage of that is you can undo it if you want to later, via CLUAConsole, instead of editing the game files. You just set the variable to 1, and the dialog is re-enabled. The other advantage is that it will work regardless of reputation. (If later on you get a strange stutter, we can fix that, too. It is unlikely that you will get it, though).

Unfortunately, editing the reputation won't work :) Berelinde's work on the Wandering Minstrels component of BG1NPC was because we hated doing the only thing that is proven to work, from a game perspective (but abhorrent to us LG/CG/NG roleplayers)... finding a random innocent and slaughtering them like sheep. The game reevaluates reputation vs happiness when it computes a *change* in reputation, not when a value is present. So changing the reputation with an editor never works, because the game doesn't reevaluate it - it simply continues on its merry course, locked on to what it has already decided.

Guest LadyRolePlay
If your rep is already at 20, then he will still leave. I suspect that setting that dialog to an impossible condition will solve your problme permanently; worst comes to worst, make note of your changes so you can revert them. There will probably be two conditions on the dialog, if I remember the BGT differences. You could try changing it to

HappinessLT(-300)

or, better yet, instead of editing the happiness value simply add a new condition to the dialog:

Global("LadyRolePlayStay","GLOBAL",1)

The advantage of that is you can undo it if you want to later, via CLUAConsole, instead of editing the game files. You just set the variable to 1, and the dialog is re-enabled. The other advantage is that it will work regardless of reputation. (If later on you get a strange stutter, we can fix that, too. It is unlikely that you will get it, though).

Unfortunately, editing the reputation won't work :( Berelinde's work on the Wandering Minstrels component of BG1NPC was because we hated doing the only thing that is proven to work, from a game perspective (but abhorrent to us LG/CG/NG roleplayers)... finding a random innocent and slaughtering them like sheep. The game reevaluates reputation vs happiness when it computes a *change* in reputation, not when a value is present. So changing the reputation with an editor never works, because the game doesn't reevaluate it - it simply continues on its merry course, locked on to what it has already decided.

Okay I downloaded and installed the NI, and opened up the dlg files on Xan (AFTER having made a backup copy of my dlg.tlk file :D )

I've never done this before, but it would seem one adds this in as a response trigger?

as follows

Response trigger 5 Global(XanStay","Global",1)

If this is correct I'll get on it :thumbsup:

Or does it go under the action global settings

thank you, thank you, thank you for my education :)

Repaired for female Elven and Half-Elven PCs romancing Xan, 11/24/2008 prerelease v17.

For everyone else, the cheat to keep him with a party regardless of reputation is a manual edit of _XANP or XANP (depending of platform); look for the "HappinessLT(" with either a 0 or a negative number (it should be state 3 on both platforms) and add a blocking variable as described above. Note: Xan comments and has dialogs with low, mid, and high rep - he won't let you get off free and easy...

Archived