How do you distribute your vacation time?

Domi

Hi folks, I am struggling with a following dilemma, and I figured maybe some of you folks can share your experiences, particulary if you have small kids and work full-time...

I always was 'take full 3 weeks and go somewhere' kind of person, but this year is a bit different. My husband is in school, so 'going' time will be limited to May- beginning of September. I get 2 flex days a months plus 21 vacation days a year at my job + 2 left-over vacation days from 2008. So, my options for this coming year are the following:

1) split my vacation days and that way I will get 1 day off every week when Kira is in day-care to 'myself'. No trips this year then, but some personal time regulary. For, like, modding every week actually for some sizable amount of hours.

2) do the usual thing and go somewhere with the 2.5 year old in tow for a couple of weeks (probably within Canada/States). And keep the remaining days for the next year - or split them, and take them before/after the trip, but without getting 1 day a week as a 'true' weekend. Or is it better to go alone with my husband on vacations and leave the baby with grandparents (means a 2-4 day extra trip or extra plane tickets as they live relatively far away?)

Anyone with kids have any experiences to share on vacation time management?

Probably not much actual help, but I'll happily share what we do. Our son (Callum) is almost 6, and so at the moment, since his dad and I both work for the NHS over here, we have to sit down and count up all the holidays he has from school and all the leave we're entitled to each year. Then we allocate differing holidays to cover the days when he's not at school, and have only weekends and Xmas/New Year off as proper family time.

It's not ideal at all, and hopefully next year it will change. We've managed to get Callum a place in an after-school club that covers some of the school holidays meaning we'll have time off together. I have no relatives nearby to look after him, so we're much like you -- if we leave him with his grandparents (my husband's parents) then we have to drive from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (or fly/train/etc) which is at least a day in travel addition. Also, we live in a corner of Scotland where there's an airport but the connections to and from it are quite dire -- so we'd need to travel south regardless if we want to go anywhere special!

So -- I guess that I'd say one day a week is nice enough, and regular 'you' time would probably be good, but me, personally -- I think I like to have a bit of time away from work for a few days because otherwise it feels like I never leave the place :)

Edit: typos, typos

Thank you for sharing. :) I think that at the moment the prospect of 'my' time every week is just too much to pass by. It sucks to not to travel for a whole year, but I feel that kira is too young to enjoy bringing her along...

Thank you for sharing. :) I think that at the moment the prospect of 'my' time every week is just too much to pass by. It sucks to not to travel for a whole year, but I feel that kira is too young to enjoy bringing her along...

*nods* It's only since Callum was about 4 or 5 that I've thought he gets much out of trips or visits to places and can remember them and have memories. And yet, he's still to young for me to consider doing any too many very special things -- we'll go to Disneyland Paris with him soon, as it's perfectly feasible that we'll go again, one day. But Disneyland in Florida... not until he's older and can *really* remember it.

And, of course, I don't like going too many places without him either, because I always think 'well, he would love...' :)

Good luck with the 'personal' time :)

How about meeting half way? A day every couple of weeks to yourself would still go a long way to giving you a chance to do your own thing but still give you a chance to do a smaller trip / couple of little trips.

Personally, I don't enjoy taking littlies (~4 and under) away from home for extended periods - by the time we get back, all semblance of order and routine are shot (and take about 3 weeks to regain) and I am desperate need of some time to relax but have spent all my leave... Smaller trips (ie camping for a few days, a roadtrip around the surrounding areas, etc) are a bit easier with the kid / kids in tow (and might fit into study timetables a bit better).

Best of luck with what ever you do!

I am just not big on small trips, I am afraid. All this hassle organizing for being away for just a couple days + 2 days travel by car or cost of the plane tickets (and all the junk you have to pack for a baby)... it just isn't worth it imo.

Archived