problem with Gavin's quest

lac

I had already killed Basilicus before I met Gavin. And I had never talked to the Morninglord priest

about him, either. When Gavin got his first quest, we went to the temple, but nothing happened.

His superior should acknowledge his presence, and then apologise for summoning him, as the

threat has already been dealt with, or some such thing.

Now to go off and check what happens if you kill off M. and the basilics before you get the

second quest.

Thank you very much for Gavin, by the way. Getting to know him is quite interesting.

Glad you're enjoying the mod, overall, but the big problem with Gavin's quests is that I'm using the wrong quest giver, and I had too little epxperience as a modder when I coded the quests. Working on a revision, but that isn't likely to help you now. Problems seem to occur when the player recruits Gavin afte doing Basilus and/or Mutamin or when a mega-install is in residence. I've got a workaround, of course, since I mstly know what I'm doing now, but it's still likely to take a while to version up. Hopefully not too, too long.

Where are you running into trouble, precisely?

The problem was that, having already killed bassilicus and gotten the reward,

when Gavin is summoned to the temple and I chose to come with him,

there was no dialogue with the head of the order. He doesn't have a

quest for Gavin, but he doesn't say anything either, so you are left wondering

_how do you start this quest?_ and _where is it?_

So I went back to an earlier save, and instead told Gavin to go back to

the temple himself. Then I joined him. He told me that he needed to

kill Bassilicus, and I told him that we had already done that, and all

continued well and good. But either that quest should not spawn at

all, or there should be some sort of way to say 'oops, when I summoned

you to the temple this menace was alive and threatening, but looks

like somebody has already taken care of the problem. Sorry to bother

you ...'

But I am having a lot of fun. Thank you.

Guest brianh@cal.net

The quest is more bugged than that. There are many ways to hear about Basillus in the game. Once you hear about him Gavin is hosed and the quest will never initiate. I went with Gavin to the temple and the high priest will not even acknowledge him. Worse still there is no entry in the journal anywhere that you even need to speak with him. Basillus is alive and well, but Gavin cannot get the quest. I sincerely hope this does not de-rail his entire quest series or I will be extremely unhappy. :blush:

I'd have to check the code. Once Bassilus is dead, by whatever means, the next quest should start, Five days later. If it doesn't, I can give you console commands to manually start it. Come to that, I can give you console commands to start it with Ormlyr.

Something *else* to work on this weekend... :blush:

Guest brianh@cal.net
I'd have to check the code. Once Bassilus is dead, by whatever means, the next quest should start, Five days later. If it doesn't, I can give you console commands to manually start it. Come to that, I can give you console commands to start it with Ormlyr.

Something *else* to work on this weekend... :blush:

Thanks for the speedy reply Berelinde! I have a fast machine and many of the latest titles, but there is just something about Baldur's Gate that makes me want to replay it every once in a while... I think one of the reasons is that it emphasized role-playing a bit more, and has such a supportive community. The mods are truly wonderful, and I thank you for yours. I would love to be able to launch the missing quest with Gavin, he is quite honestly my favorite NPC at this point in the game. I am a bit rusty on the console mode and commands, as I have not played in quite some time. Any basics you can point me to in order to make Gavin work again are most welcome.

Your best bet is to hold out until next weekend. I swear that I'll have a glitch-proof quest by then... OK, let's get real. I swear I'll have a quest that can be completed. Glitches can and will happen with any massive install, especially the BGT megas, but by moving the quest to a secondary quest giver that has nothing to do with anyone else, I hope to avoid the usual culprits. I also hope that I can avoid having the quest break because Basilus and/or Mutamin are dead before the quest is assigned.

Guest brianh@cal.net
Your best bet is to hold out until next weekend. I swear that I'll have a glitch-proof quest by then... OK, let's get real. I swear I'll have a quest that can be completed. Glitches can and will happen with any massive install, especially the BGT megas, but by moving the quest to a secondary quest giver that has nothing to do with anyone else, I hope to avoid the usual culprits. I also hope that I can avoid having the quest break because Basilus and/or Mutamin are dead before the quest is assigned.

Thanks Berelinde, I will have to leave it to your wizardry! I look forward to seeing what you cook up. :blush:

Archived