[Investigate] Edwin and Dynaheir squabbles-Domi? please help

LadyRolePlay

I've been in the city a couple of days. Dyan quest is still going strong. IF there was a confrontation at the Elfsong, I must have handled it diplomatically enough, for the romance to be active.

We're walking along on one quest or another, and all of a sudden Dyna chimes something about Edwin, they both bicker, then all of a sudden, both leave the party, standing in the street, and Minsc with her. All three are neutral to me, and all three just stand there, none will talk to me, I tried going on for awhile, come back and all three are still just standing there.

I had read the boards about more Edwin/Dyna banter in the city, and it has been funny, took Edwin to the Burning Mermaid or whatever the inn is. I THOUGHT everything was okay. I have noticed in the dialogue box, Minsc is making a LOT of saves against death, and taking no damage heeh. In this particular game, we did kill the wizards in cloakwood, and Edwin never did try to kill dyna, which did happen with a female character I am playing.

I do like playing two casters in a party, with one strong tank (I am a paladin), and Gavin and Minsc to back up tank. All of a sudden the party is decimated.

Is this scripted to happen? IF so, I'll go drop Edwin off and hope that Xan will rejoin. Edwin much stronger caster than Dyna, but since I am playing that romance, Edwin will need to go.

Is this inevitable with the two? Or any way to keep both through this and the xpac Domi?

CMorgan ty so much for the helpful suggestion on the xpac. I don't know why I figured I had to play out BG before the other stuff, but what you say makes sense.

Well, something must be going wrong - there is a scripted fight that is supposed to happen in regular BioWare stuff, I believe. I think we even fix it to work correctly, on Tutu - I wonder if that particular thing ever happened on a BGT test install.

I was able to keep Edwin all the way through the whole thing, on Tutu (though i did have to work forward from a save once, and once I had Edwin succeed in killing Dynaheir (it is scripted in Domi's conflict stuff) but I just resurrected her and kept going, and everything was ok.

I'll go research what the vanilla behavior is supposed to be. I think it is a banter that kicks them all out of the party and has them fight eachother a-la Deathmatch.

Please set aside a savegame before going on, preferably before you had the "I'm going to fight you" banter... just in case we can't fix it up.

EDIT: yep - in two vanilla standard banters, one of the blocks can set

Global("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",1)

or

Global("Edwinfight2","GLOBAL",1)

and then in Dynaheir's script there is a kickoff the fight block:

IF
See("edwin")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	Attack("edwin")
END

and then a whole series of "make unselectable (5000)" and attack and spellcasting blocks between Edwin, Dynaheir, and Minsc. I am sue someone has untangled this before (we had a fix on the Tutu side created by WizWom that repaired this, because in Tutu we had troubles as you describe - they all turn neutral, then can't complete their actions, and end up out of party and unable to be reclaimed. I will take a look for the solution on a BGT install (but I need to create a new one first as the one I have is completely messed up with scrambled testing stuff).

In the Tutu version Edwin has this in his script:

IF
!UnselectableVariable(0)
Dead("minsc")
Dead("dynaheir")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",0)
	MakeUnselectable(0)
END

which leads me to believe the solution is to SetGlobal("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",0) and then set MakeUnselectable(0) for each of the three, but I bet even then with a high reputation Edwin will get his "I am out of the party so I will reevaluate your actions and since you are too good I shall plot yyour inevitable destruction from afar. (These simians will not last three steps without my presence. I would laugh if they were not so pathetic.)". So it might involve more.

Perhaps ideas from Hoppy, or Chevalier, or Azzazello, or WizWom, or any other BGT dude/dudette??

edit again: if you have a savegame, then try this out - try simply setting

Global("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",0)

Global("Edwinfight2","GLOBAL",0)

and see what happens. If it sets up a script stutter, then we know more info - if they stand around and are able to do their regular rejoin-after-being-kicked-out dialogs, then we know more info, and if nothing happens, well - at least nothing happened.

Well, something must be going wrong - there is a scripted fight that is supposed to happen in regular BioWare stuff, I believe. I think we even fix it to work correctly, on Tutu - I wonder if that particular thing ever happened on a BGT test install.

I was able to keep Edwin all the way through the whole thing, on Tutu (though i did have to work forward from a save once, and once I had Edwin succeed in killing Dynaheir (it is scripted in Domi's conflict stuff) but I just resurrected her and kept going, and everything was ok.

I'll go research what the vanilla behavior is supposed to be. I think it is a banter that kicks them all out of the party and has them fight eachother a-la Deathmatch.

Please set aside a savegame before going on, preferably before you had the "I'm going to fight you" banter... just in case we can't fix it up.

or

IF
See("edwin")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	Attack("edwin")
END

and then a whole series of "make unselectable (5000)" and attack and spellcasting blocks between Edwin, Dynaheir, and Minsc. I am sue someone has untangled this before (we had a fix on the Tutu side created by WizWom that repaired this, because in Tutu we had troubles as you describe - they all turn neutral, then can't complete their actions, and end up out of party and unable to be reclaimed. I will take a look for the solution on a BGT install (but I need to create a new one first as the one I have is completely messed up with scrambled testing stuff).

IF
!UnselectableVariable(0)
Dead("minsc")
Dead("dynaheir")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	MakeUnselectable(0)
END

which leads me to believe the solution is to SetGlobal("Edwinfight","GLOBAL",0) and then set MakeUnselectable(0) for each of the three, but I bet even then with a high reputation Edwin will get his "I am out of the party so I will reevaluate your actions and since you are too good I shall plot yyour inevitable destruction from afar. (These simians will not last three steps without my presence. I would laugh if they were not so pathetic.)". So it might involve more.

Perhaps ideas from Hoppy, or Chevalier, or Azzazello, or WizWom, or any other BGT dude/dudette??

and see what happens. If it sets up a script stutter, then we know more info - if they stand around and are able to do their regular rejoin-after-being-kicked-out dialogs, then we know more info, and if nothing happens, well - at least nothing happened.

I have a save from just before it 'is going' to happen though I have no idea when it will kick in for sure. Not knowing, I did take Edwin back to Friendly Arms also, to pick up Xan. I thought he was going to be a goner also, but when I kicked him out, he was agreeable to waiting there. Given that Xan had walked on another of my pc's with a heroic reputation, I expected Edwin to walk also ...my paladin's reputation is maxed out at twenty! *shakes head*

I do know or remember some parts I had played with Edwin, where 1. I did convience him that, it was better he stay to keep an eye on her. 2. Unlike my female character he has never tried to kill dyanheir, but I think for some time now he's been trying to kill Minsc, although to further confuse the matter, we were attacked by some mercs from the Bonehill Mod, and cast horror on them, they went flying every direction, one was left still with an invisble potion,and this merc almost killed dyan till I had gavin cast invis pure and target that fellow and it MIGHT of been the merc that was unable to hit Minsc LOL. 3. My relationship with BOTH of them seems very very good. He sided with me against the red wizards in cloakwood, outside of a grumble about leaving now and then, we get along fine. Edwin has told my male paladin far far more about himself, and Thay than my female character has thus far been able to drag out of him despite her reputation only standing at a fifteen (this is so I can keep playing the three romances of ajantis and coran and gavin heeh...once I hit rep sixteen there, I have to choose tween the first two guys at least, hence holding off turning in quests, I am going have to start using those bards at the inns ) :)

Frankly, I also wondered if indeed the vanilla game didn't creep into it somehow. I actually went to an inn with the remaining three and rested two days straight, I go back to the plaza and Edwin and Dyna and Minsc are still standing there, as neutral npc's.

I'll take a look at those globals also CMorgan, and see if I can spot anything. It's late my time and work tomorrow means I have to go to bed now, but will get on this tomorrow. I love having both these casters as my two main mages, together they make a very awesome duo! So I do want to try to keep them.

Have to run off to work CMorgan, but I do know this. I was checking some walk through by Dan Simpson, trying to find something in the sewers, at the bottom he had a list of vanilla npc responses, according to their states. The one listed for the edwin/dyna fight was EXACTLY the statement she made before they bickered and left the party, and just stood there.

I am certain you are right. I am going to start with the simplest fixes first, ie Edwin does spout off with I am leaving this party statement, but never leaves, which tells me that is working. In fact, as stated, I can boot him from the party, and he will wait around and rejoin. I'll do this this evening.

On a funny note:

I had this happen, then right after, Coran chimes in saying he is going to go talk his gal into keeping the baby (we've been lugging baby around, and there are so many funny comments, especially with Edwin using color spray...). Well after the trio of minsc, dyna and edwin leave, he leaves, leaving me an Gavin. Good old Gavin! IMHO the best cleric in the game. Good thing I stash my other characters in the Friendly Arms :)

I feel a good fanfic coming on, around all this I do!

Don't worry - I think from what you describe, Coran will be back in your life soon enough :) Although that fanfic idea is a great one...

(If you are really into the wild ways of chaotic love, next runthrough, try the Coran Romance. It is tough to navigate, and includes a good bit of random chance, but there are great payoffs in terms of roleplay. And I agree on Gavin - definitely a way cool dude to have watching your back. I want to try a Cleric's Only run some time, with Yeslik/Gavin/Branwen/Finch/Viconia [until she leaves]/PC [as a Painbearer of Ilmater through Divine Remix]. )

Don't worry - I think from what you describe, Coran will be back in your life soon enough :p Although that fanfic idea is a great one...

(If you are really into the wild ways of chaotic love, next runthrough, try the Coran Romance. It is tough to navigate, and includes a good bit of random chance, but there are great payoffs in terms of roleplay. And I agree on Gavin - definitely a way cool dude to have watching your back. I want to try a Cleric's Only run some time, with Yeslik/Gavin/Branwen/Finch/Viconia [until she leaves]/PC [as a Painbearer of Ilmater through Divine Remix]. )

I had the trio leave my party again, right on the first floor of the Iron Throne, and made a save if you want it. I am right in the middle of the being poisoned quest, but there are some days to spare. I took the rest of us, rested at an inn for couple of days.. went back .. they're still there, not quiet turned to stone but might as well be! I am going to go try the globals, and I'll check back to see if you want a look at the save, though w/out BWP installed, I dunno if you can.

Tried typing in the globals after they left, and they still don't respond. Should I try typing it in before they get to this point, would that help? I have a save with them standing there and another save made just before they pulled this.

or

IF
See("edwin")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	Attack("edwin")
END

IF
!UnselectableVariable(0)
Dead("minsc")
Dead("dynaheir")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	MakeUnselectable(0)
END

If I understood correctly, they left, then I typed in these globals trying to see if they'd talk/rejoin. I still got no response from them. Would typing these globals in before they up and leave, help? I have a save right before they did this, and one right after they did this.

Don't worry - I think from what you describe, Coran will be back in your life soon enough :p Although that fanfic idea is a great one...

I had the trio leave my party again, right on the first floor of the Iron Throne, and made a save if you want it. I am right in the middle of the being poisoned quest, but there are some days to spare. I took the rest of us, rested at an inn for couple of days.. went back .. they're still there, not quiet turned to stone but might as well be! I am going to go try the globals, and I'll check back to see if you want a look at the save, though w/out BWP installed, I dunno if you can.

Tried typing in the globals after they left, and they still don't respond. Should I try typing it in before they get to this point, would that help? I have a save with them standing there and another save made just before they pulled this.

CMorgan

FYI, setting those globals you gave in a save prior to the incident, thus far seems to have stopped it happening at all. NOT to say it won't happen, but I am ready to go to Candlekeep and it hasn't, which before setting that global to 0 happened twice. Perhaps that's all that needed, to set it before they leave the party? For whatever reason if it pops up after setting these globals I'll let you know.

My hunch is that if you are romancing Dyn, then Edwin won't do his signature kill when they are both in the party just to keep the romance from disengaging unless I am missing more BG1 NPC additions. Usually for me Edwin will kill her after a timer expires but I have not done the romance to full potential.

My hunch is that if you are romancing Dyn, then Edwin won't do his signature kill when they are both in the party just to keep the romance from disengaging unless I am missing more BG1 NPC additions. Usually for me Edwin will kill her after a timer expires but I have not done the romance to full potential.

I think CMorgan mentioned that TuTu had a similar problem Hoppy. And you're right. I think the mega mod probably does need a fix for this, CM's posts address the issue in great detail.

For me I just started with the simplest thing, which was to go to a save before it all happens and set those globals CM mentions to 0. Setting the fixes after it happens, doesn't fix anything. IF I do not reset those globals however, the event does invariably happen.

Cool stuff, and thank you for posting it all up and working through it. I am flagging this as a BGT thing, as the difficulty is standard BioWare banter material rather than BG1NPC - as far as i can tell in testing and playthrough, WizWom's fix works on my EasyTutu game. I am leaving it up to the BGT experts to see if the Unselectable() stuff on a BGT install (standard bioware banter) works as advertised :)

Guest DuchessOfKvetch

Sorry to thread necro, but this just happened to me. In my case, playing with EasyTutu and a small number of the common "stable" mods. I had all 3 in my party - eventually a fight broke out, and Edwin was killed.

If I did any action to remove the dead mage from the party configuration, both Minsc and Dynaheir would go into that weird unusable state where I could still talk to them, but they'd have blue circles around their feet, and no allowed interractions with their inventory or control of movement. Removing them from the party wouldn't work, as it would never properly trigger their removal. This only happened with Edwin's corpse removal, mind you.

Trying the trick above to set the globals seems to have worked! I did this on both a save before and after Edwin's demise, and the good-duo remained working as intended. So it seems to be a persistent bug in whatever script handles these interractions.

As another helpful note, I tried resurrecting Edwin at the Beregost temple. Fight continued right where it left off. Minsc/Dynaheir don't actually "leave" the party during the fight. They only went into the weird-state IF Edwin was removed, because whatever script was controlling the fight hadn't completed properly. I wasn't able to res Edwin and give him mucho HP to see if he could "win", due to Shadowkeeper always resetting his HP to 0.

There are some other local affects for Minsc/Dyna too - I tried removing them, and weirdly enuf, this caused Branwen to turn into a corpse. VERY ODD. But I know I am not normally supposed to remove those settings, I just initially thought it might fix the problem.

Archived