Fallout 3

theacefes

So, what's Fallout like as a game (old and new)?

I can't say about the new one, but the old one is very immersive, has multiple solutions to quests, interesting locations. Almost every object has a (sometimes amusing) description. Combat is turn based and allows aiming at specific body parts which can result in critical hits - critical hits have descriptions too. The player can go anywhere ey wants. Also, it has good Choices & Consequences.

Actually, when I started playing BG, I was disappointed to see how less advanced and at the same time more overcomplicated/cumbersome was the combat and how I couldn't play a diplomatic characters which could use their interpersonal skills to solve various quests.

Is there a party?

It's mostly about a lone hero (or anti-hero, or whoever) in a desolate world. You can recruit a few NPCs that are guided by AI. There isn't much party interaction though.

Good interactions?

Yes, PC's dialogue choices are dependent on PCs intelligence, charisma and speech skill. Some of the quests can be solved by diplomacy if the character has good people skills. It doesn't have those horrible looped dialogs that push one into a quest/specific quest solution like in BG2.

Is levelling up easy, or as difficult as in 3 Ed?

It's very easy. You simply add points to skills on level up and choose a perk every three levels.

So, what's Fallout like as a game (old?
Skill-based sandbox with customisable PC and a minor hint of party. No, I don't think it can be called a party. Imho.

Btw, the whole feat stuff came into 3ed exactly from Fallout. I think...

PS Dammit, just play it and see for yourself. There may be folks out there who don't like F that much, but those who hate are far less in number.

It's not that I hated the original Fallout...but I didn't see the hype about it after playing both 1 and 2. I guess you have to take into consideration that the game was made a while back. I'm sure there are people who wonder why after 10 years, we still play IE games.

BG1 and 2 were immersive because of their storylines, though the graphics were pretty for the time. I really didn't like the IWD series that much(same graphics, crappy storyline), and after a while, I turned to newer games (my range of games I like expands past RPGs, too). Graphical detail is a key part of immersion for me, but it seems that many developers have been putting a lot of effort into the visual aspects of the game as opposed to the plot and gameplay itself (not to mention there is a lot of crappy sound coming from several modern games). A good game, imo, is well done on both of those things.

(Also getting my copy of Deadspace and I preordered the Sims 3. I don't really understand that series but my significant other loves it. Something about being a god I suppose...:p )

PS Dammit, just play it and see for yourself. There may be folks out there who don't like F that much, but those who hate are far less in number.

I dunno why, but I just never really got to play Fallout, and unless it's a really good match for my taste, I don't really want to look for it and stuff, seeing how it's such an old game. I heard you have to play a male in the 2nd one, so it's not an option, but first one, if I see it, maybe I will try it, though I'm quickly bored with solo play. Hmm, maybe I should rephrase it as: if I can't play BG solo because it's boring for me w/o characters, does FO 1 supply the content to compensate for the absence of the chars? Are there any memorable ones, like Kivan, even if they don't say much?

I heard you have to play a male in the 2nd one, so it's not an option

What? Both Fallouts allow to play both genders.

if I can't play BG solo because it's boring for me w/o characters, does FO 1 supply the content to compensate for the absence of the chars? Are there any memorable ones, like Kivan, even if they don't say much?

I can't play BG at all, because it's boring for me and I can't play BG2 because I hate how it forces things upon my PC and treats all my PCs like mediocre 18/00 10 18 9 5 7 morons, and I play Fo1 very often. Fo1 has an interesting setting, good Choices & Consequences, moral ambiguity and some memorable non-party NPCs. As for memorable NPCs...

None of them seems to have a terribly tragic past and none of them whines about their wings, so I don't think they can be called interesting in BG2 sense. They do have their personality though. I like Ian.

Also, the most memorable character for me is my PC.

if I can't play BG solo because it's boring for me w/o characters, does FO 1 supply the content to compensate for the absence of the chars?
Depending upon what kind of content you meant. It's a sandbox, so you don't really have a big story to follow (comparing to BG2). If you saw Mad Max 2 then that's what you'll see in game.

PS

A world that's lost to humankind. Some struggle and do it pretty well, establishing cities and such, but overall it's a heavy hopelessness.

You would have to been there to really enjoy it, when it first came out. Kids and others are spoiled these days with snazzy graphics and complex dialogs in games.

Bethy has no business making this game or having its license. Obsidian is the only company that should have got the rights to this game. They have a lot of the developers working there who worked on the original Fallouts nad know the setting and SPECIAL well. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at first until I read and saw the stupidity they were doing with this game. That idiotic hand held nuclear gun really sealed their fate with me. No groin shots, which means probably no gutter humor. No drugs thanks to the Aussies. Yeah this will be a real winner. Console tards will save the game from complete failure thanks to Bethy making a pc game for consoles.

Depending upon what kind of content you meant. It's a sandbox, so you don't really have a big story to follow (comparing to BG2). If you saw Mad Max 2 then that's what you'll see in game.

Heresy :p !

Mad Max 2 doesn't really have much to do with Fallout except the concept of a lone hero (I usually team up with Ian anyway) and some of the aesthetics. You aren't forced to roleplay bitter Mel Gibson :p .

For example I can't imagine Max talking someone out of killing someone else or doing many things that PC does in Fallout.

Personally, I didn't find BG2 party characters a sufficient compensation for PC being an uninteresting moron with epic backstory.

Generally, the main theme in Fallout is that you're a Vault Dweller, a person who was living in a safe Vault, but the Vaults Water Chip is broken and you have to go outside and search for it. Then you visit various settlements and encounter various problems, moral choices, etc. etc. etc.

Your choices influence endings for all the locations in game.

You would have to been there to really enjoy it, when it first came out. Kids and others are spoiled these days with snazzy graphics and complex dialogs in games.

Err...

Fallout has both.

So, the way I understand it, a sand-box game means BG1 feel sans BG1's show-down with Sarevok and tied up story-line? In other words, you just wander around and do side-quests that amount up to some total (finding water or whatever)? I think I will pass then. I lean towards strong story-lines and large party games with talkative joinables.

Are you sure you can play both Fallouts with a female character? I remeber reading Wiki and it said that one of them was male-only.

So, the way I understand it, a sand-box game means BG1 feel sans BG1's show-down with Sarevok and tied up story-line? In other words, you just wander around and do side-quests that amount up to some total (finding water or whatever)?

No. It has a story-line and a pretty good story. The difference is that unlike in BG, you don't have a magical map that forbids you from going anywhere you want until you finish the "chapter" and you can skip some points of storyline. For example it's like you could go to Baldur's Gate just after leaving Candlekeep or locate the bandit's camp by yourself or whatever and there would be at least 3 different ways to solve the Sarevok problem.

Also, BG1 doesn't have the Fallout's main advantage - being able to create a variety of starting characters, develop them in different ways and most importantly role-play them in meaningful way.

Hmm... I never wondered about it - PC was brought up in a sheltered environment, so maybe there should be some reaction - on the other hand, it's hard to not be happy to see someone's side getting blown away :p ... Sometimes my character gets depressed when Ian dies, though. Personally, I wonder mostly about lack of PCs reaction to getting send out of a clean, safe and comfortable Vault to a dirty dangerous and uncomfortable world.

Not to mention that PC doesn't have to eat and drink which means that the outdoorsman skill is almost useless and the whole thing is much more adventurous than grim and survivalist.

Also, I miss a Ian romance mod.

Archived