Mini Quest mod my thoughts on it

I've just finished playing through well most of the game except the end and I wanted to tell you Jast what wonderful job you did. Obviously you have had kids LOL, I loved the babysitting, heck I loved all of them. I so prefer this type of thing over long, tedious dungeon crawls.

While running around killing monsters and doing heroic things, this lends a very human touch, and a comment about the human condition that effects all, be they great or small, and how human or elf or whatever we all are! I love the gentleness of them. Bjornn is a great touch, heck I liked every one. Good to know while he or she may beat Savok and bring down the Iron Throne and thwart the war, somehow just can NOT get a wee girl to put on her coat. Yea that's how the world is.

I do have a question on the love sick orc. I met him on the way to BG, and stumbled on him again when I went to the elfsong where I tried to give him confidence to go talk to the lady, and off he went. I have no journal entries or clue what to do or what happens next, I read the spoiler and went to that house, and everyone is talking about how busy or happy or what ever they are, but no Uguth. Is that how it is supposed to end, or do we run into him somewhere and some when again?

ty

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Ulguth and his fiancee are gone, but the quest continues nontheless, in a way. Be on the great stairs in Baldur's Gate at least two (game) days later after visiting the house, and you will hear a rumor.

Guest Guest_JLE_*
Thank you very much for the kind words!

Ulguth and his fiancee are gone, but the quest continues nontheless, in a way. Be on the great stairs in Baldur's Gate at least two (game) days later after visiting the house, and you will hear a rumor.

Um. I just read this and nothing seems to be happening.

I assume the "great stairs" are the bit in Baldurs Gate Central section where you can cross from the south half to the north half? But I've been there and there's nothing but commoners.

who, EXACTLY, is supposed to show up, and say what, EXACTLY?

I haven't been able to find a "spoiler" which actually says who Uguth's fiancee is supposed to be anyway - though I suspect it's "Viola" in one of the houses nearby the Elfsong... however I found nothing either in-game or in any forum that suggested this, other than the fact that it's people who I'd never met in the vanilla game before.

This is one of the encounters where the PC doesn't get to see everything. I think you found the right house with his fiancee, but yes, no-one is talking about it, at least not to a stranger (why should they).

The whole encounter goes like this:

-first the PC mets Ulguth somewhere North from BG

-second meeting in the Elfsong. Before that meeting, the fiancee can be met in the house with her parents and siblings, but no special dialogue.

-after Ulguth left from the Elfsong, he and Viola are gone. Her family is still in the house, but no extra dialogue.

-at least three days later, a rumor can be heard by a commonor that approaches the PC by himself, saying something about an Orc attack in the city. This commoner can be met in any of the following areas:

W Baldur's Gate, NW Baldur's Gate, N Baldur's Gate, NE Baldur's Gate, Central Baldur's Gate.

-the PC can go to the family's house and see for himself what that rumor is about.

Hope that helps.

Guest Roboghost

Hey! A thought topic :)

First of course a thanks and 98% I love...

The 2% I don't and why I actually will not install this mod:

1. You have to make each quest optional -- [A]sk about each one?

2. Junk files: I {think I} see files from your other mods or unnecessary files littering a bit. I do a personal Dudleyfix [and then some] on my EasyTutu and the less files I have to deal with the better...

Guest Robocasper
I do a personal Dudleyfix [and then some] on my EasyTutu
How exactly do you do that, since it is not compatible with Tutu?

Dudleyfix: One at a time with mostly NI! I then save them [files] for future installs. Note the best way to do this is to first install stuff to cut down on the work:

1. BG2 Fixpack: Optional but Cool: ISA, Archers/Stalkers, Bard Song & Wizard Slayers

2. BG1 Unfinished Business*: most but not the BG1 NPC Project no no ones

3. BG1 NPC Project: core only

4. Level 1 NPCs: Dudleyfix for BG1 NPCs (hee hee) & Fix BG1 NPC spells/innates

* this one tries to fix the Lightning xbow bolt, but uses wrong sound; you need to create one yourself from a wav file with a #23 in it (not at my puter, so...)

Now you have a base that does a lot of the work for you -- the catch being that if the mods update, then....ehh, what can you do? My biggest pet peeve is the DLG files in EasyTutu -- a lot still need fixing and I suck at playing with those, so only touch the easy ones :)

I don't "have to" but the request was posted before and if another (third) person asks for each quest being optional I might implement it.

Junk files: Please elaborate.

And oh: If you found a bug in BG1UB then please let me know, I can fix it for the next update.

One at a time with mostly NI!
Erhm, you know, you could possibly make the same thing more easily with a WeiDU mod... you would need to learn how though...

I don't "have to" but the request was posted before and if another (third) person asks for each quest being optional I might implement it.
Hmm, I do encourage this even though I know it might be not so fun... hmm, could you also make it so that the installer has the option to install all the quest at once hoping that the people don't look at their WeiDU.log for spoilers, and the option to choose each one at a time. I know the WeiDU gives the option to do so(SCS for example; "Would you like to display..."), I just haven't read how.

Hmm and if you really want to, apparently there's also the possibility of hiding the components from being logged into the WeiDU.log, so you could make the install all as a component that hides the components from actually being logged while they are still installed and then the other components would just install themselves, this of course would need at uninstall command... so it gets increasingly difficult from there on out. :)

Hmm, I do encourage this even though I know it might be not so fun... hmm, could you also make it so that the installer has the option to install all the quest at once hoping that the people don't look at their WeiDU.log for spoilers, and the option to choose each one at a time. I know the WeiDU gives the option to do so(SCS for example; "Would you like to display..."), I just haven't read how.
This is actually a very easy change - it would just require changing all the PRINT @... lines to BEGIN @... instead. An ASK_EVERY_COMPONENT near the beginning of the tp2 allows you to install them all at once if you want.

But... why? These are all fairly small quests - why would you need to exclude some? If you don't want to do a certain quest, don't talk to the person who offers it (or don't accept it, or accept it and don't do it, or whatever). If there's something you don't like about a certain quest, why not tell the modder?

Hmm and if you really want to, apparently there's also the possibility of hiding the components from being logged into the WeiDU.log, so you could make the install all as a component that hides the components from actually being logged while they are still installed and then the other components would just install themselves, this of course would need at uninstall command... so it gets increasingly difficult from there on out. :)
I don't see the point of this - it would make troubleshooting mod components from a WeiDU.log fairly difficult, even pointless.
Guest Robocasper

Junk files: Please elaborate.

And oh: If you found a bug in BG1UB then please let me know, I can fix it for the next update.

Yes, I can see that asking about each might ruin the surprise, but you could put a readmefirst.txt file that notes if you ask about each one, then it might be spoil-ish. But; I take the example from Unfinished Business that allows you to do it, so I'm spoiled in wanting it. No, you don't have to do it, but it might appeal to more folk if you do -- so a classic grain of salt here. The “Unexpected Help†quest doesn’t appeal to me for my example of wanting to ditch one {I know you can block in TP2, but I’m thinking for the whole world}.

I'll do a fresh barebones install and use NI's "find unused files" just for you. I'll report back what it finds. I have most things in the BG1 database memorized so should be able to pinpoint just your stuff [and crosschecking with the override folder if I'm not sure].

The L-bolt should use sound eff?23?.wav. Not sure exact name, but I can get and stick it on the UB forum [the sound team developers went to the trouble of making it and then the programmers didn't attach it].

Guest Robocasper
One at a time with mostly NI!
Erhm, you know, you could possibly make the same thing more easily with a WeiDU mod... you would need to learn how though...

I can replicate the Dudleyfix in about 3 weeks [not counting the darn DLG and TLK files] and maybe 3 years doing a WeiDU. I look at the WeiDU this way: if it is so easy, then why hasn't it been done by the pros yet? I can also clean a file fast and through in an editor. A good example is a CRE file that you're maybe correcting the race on. I can also notice that the weapon proficiency is wrong (you'd be surprised how many of these there are and why you can easily beat many creatures -- fix this up and you'll be licking a lot more wounds {trust me, I've tested it}). I know the Dudley has some iffy fixes, but most are not and I'm on the same page he was: trying to use a mix of logic, 2e/3e rules and adjusting to the BG1 constraints :)

Oh, found another cheater fixer program you can utilize before doing your own personal fixer:

SCS: Initialize component

This one could be a mull over one though since it does have fixes, but also has such things as ToBEx (I actually used ToBEx for my 3rd Tutu install, but careful what I picked to install).

Guest Roboghost

Ok...did a unused file check an all is good. I only found about 8 unused strings, but that's hardly worth fussing over. I wonder if I was thinking about the Ajantis mod {?}, but I won't shoot my words off unless I check first from now on!

Anyway, the BoL sound file s/b EFF_M23C.WAV and I posted on UB board.

Archived