Friendtalk 3: Fun with Stats

cmorgan

Useful and fun trigger to play with:

0x4045 CheckStatGT(O:Object*,I:Value*,I:StatNum*Stats)

in STATS.IDS

29 PICKPOCKET

36 STR

38 INT
39 WIS
40 DEX
41 CON
42 CHR

44 XP
45 GOLD

Fun with Screening by Statistics

Let's play around with screening player replies for their in-game statistics. We could do the same with Aran, in case someone changed his stats via ShadowKeeper or something, but at that point I don't see how to avoid fully trashing the 4th wall. I don't mind a wink and a nudge using outside FR references or such, but for me this really isn't Ferris Beuhler's Day Off, or Sadowlands, where the actor turns and directly addresses the audience, either in or out of character. Oblique references, sure. To screen Aran, we would simply swap out Player1 in the following code for "myDV" (including the quotes); in Aran's case, "c-aran".

Let's play with the strengths of the character as a source of rumors following through to Amn. If someone has an uuber-Charakter, with stats all above 16, well, they get more pathways in this case. But since they can only follow up one, I think we are ok. For most characters, at least one or two of the fun options will pop up.

Rough Draft:

/* BG2 FriendTalk 3 c-aranfriendbg2 = 5 */
/* "The Price of Fame", or, Whoa - *that* <CHARNAME>? Sux to be you, pal. */

IF ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",5)~ THEN BEGIN c-aranft3start
 SAY ~[ARAN] You know, when I was servin' in the Flaming Fist just outside o' Cloakwood, we had a few rumors spread around about someone named <CHARNAME>. Never did hear what happened completely, but apparently <CHARNAME>'s adventurin' group took the head right off the Iron Throne, an' made our work considerably easier.~
 ++ ~[PC] That would be me.~ + c-aranft3itwasme
 + ~StatGT(Player1,15,CHR)~ + ~[PC] You don't say. That sounds like a fascinating person to meet. Did the rumors mention how stunning <PROHESHE> looked?~ + c-aranft3looked
 + ~StatGT(Player1,15,STR)~ + ~[PC] That is interesting. Did anyone say how strong <PROHESHE> was?~ + c-aranft3strong
 + ~StatGT(Player1,15,DEX)~ + ~[PC] Hmmm. Did those rumors say anything about how nimble and quick <PROHESHE> was?~ + c-aranft3nimble
 + ~StatGT(Player1,15,CON)~ + ~[PC] Hmmm. Did those rumors say anything about how hardy and resistant <PROHESHE> was?~ + c-aranft3resist
 ++ ~[PC] Never heard of <PROHERHIM>.~ + c-aranft3riiight
 + ~StatGT(Player1,15,INT)~ + ~[PC] Rumors. A bunch of hot air. But just out of idle curiosity, was there any mention of how brilliantly smart <PROHESHE> was?~ + c-aranft3smart
 + ~StatGT(Player1,15,WIS)~ + ~[PC] I would not put much stoke in rumors. They throw more shadow than light.~ + c-aranft3wise
 ++ ~[PC] Amazing how rumors start. Why just the other day, I heard something about how Aran Whitehand had a big fat mouth, and used it too often...~ + c-aranft3bigmouth
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3wise
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now. That is just the kind o' thing I heard the <CHARNAME> they were talkin' about might say. Wise beyond <PRO_HISHER> years. But you let me along this adventure, which don't speak so well o' your wisdom. So it can't be you, nohow.~
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, watch it, sellsword - that was me!~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 ++ ~[PC] Defeating Sarevok and his machinations helped alot of people. It was not the most wise choice, standing against such powerful forces. It was simply necessary.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup4
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup5
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup6
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3resist
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now. Last I heard, the <CHARNAME> they were talkin' about shrugged off dragonfire while drinkin' acid, with no ill effects. So it can't be you, nohow.~
 ++ ~[PC] Defeating Sarevok and his machinations helped alot of people. It was not all inner strength and toughness, you know.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup7
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup8
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup9
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3nimble
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now. Last I heard, the <CHARNAME> they were talkin' about could pick a fruitfly out o' the air an' tie his legs in a knot, while balancin' on one foot. So it can't be you, nohow.~
 ++ ~[PC] Defeating Sarevok and his machinations helped alot of people. It was not all speed and dextrous action, you know.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup10
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup11
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup12
 IF ~StatGT(Player1,50,PICKPOCKET)~ THEN GOTO c-aranft3pickpocket
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3pickpocket
 SAY ~[ARAN] I heard a darker rumor, too, where that particular <CHARNAME> could pick a man's pocket from ten paces in broad daylight, an' there'd be a whole crowd what couldn't tell 'til after <PRO_HESHE> was two days gone.~
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, watch it, sellsword - passing along those tales is bad for business!~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 ++ ~[PC] Defeating Sarevok and his machinations helped alot of people. Yu can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup13
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup14
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup15
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3strong
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now. Last I heard, the <CHARNAME> they were talkin' about could lift a catapult in one hand, an' a house in the other. So it can't be you, nohow.~
 ++ ~[PC] Defeating Sarevok and his machinations helped alot of people. It was not all brute strength, you know.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup16
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup17
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup18
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3looked
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now. Last I heard, the <CHARNAME> they were talkin' about had a smile what could melt the Spine o' the World. So it can't be you, nohow.~
 ++ ~[PC] We did well by defeating Sarevok and his machinations. I am proud of what we accomplished.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup4
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup5
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup6
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3smart
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now. Last I heard, the <CHARNAME> they were talkin' about could philosophise with Elminster while playing chess with a Red Wizard. So it can't be you, nohow.~
 ++ ~[PC] We did well by defeating Sarevok and his machinations. It was partly luck, but being smart and careful made it possible to defeat him.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup1
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup2
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup3
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3itwasme
 SAY ~[ARAN] No, really? That was you? Well, go figure. I wanted to get in on a bit of action, and I had to pick you of all people.~
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds a bit offensive. Me of all people?~ + c-aranft3priceoffame
 ++ ~[PC] The less said about the past, the brighter your future will be. And longer, too.~ + c-aranft3lesssaid
 ++ ~[PC] We did well by defeating Sarevok and his machinations. I am proud of what we accomplished.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup28
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup29
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I have had enough of this discussion. No more talking.~ + c-aranshutup30
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3riiight
 SAY ~[ARAN] Riiiiight. Coudn't have been you. You were never there. Mum's the word, an' all. Still, that stinks.~
 ++ ~[PC] Watch it, Aran. What stinks?~ + c-aranft3priceoffame
 ++ ~[PC] <CHARNAME> is a common enough name.~ + c-aranft3lessaid
 ++ ~[PC] The less said about the past, the brighter your future will be. And longer, too.~ + c-aranft3lessaid
 ++ ~[PC] Defeating Sarevok and his machinations was important. I am proud of what was accomplished.~ + c-aranft3accomplished
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3bigmouth
 SAY ~[ARAN] Point taken. Sorry. You don't like people to know how you operate, eh? Well, I suppose that's fair enough. But Mask's Left Hand, I had to pick you of all people.~
 ++ ~[PC] Me of all people?~ + c-aranft3priceoffame
 ++ ~[PC] <CHARNAME> is a common enough name.~ + c-aranft3lessaid
 ++ ~[PC] The less said about the past, the brighter your future will be. And longer, too.~ + c-aranft3lessaid
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3accomplished
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, I was just teasin' ye. You did right effective work takin' those bastards down. It made it possible for the Fist an' Moonshea and all to field forces against the rest of those bandits. Selune's Fair Bottom, though, I had to pick you of all people to join up with.~
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds a bit offensive. Me of all people?~ + c-aranft3priceoffame
 ++ ~[PC] Well, you asked to join up, if I remember correctly...~ + c-aranft3priceoffame
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3priceoffame
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, look, no offence, but fame is not always good for the folks followin', if you know what I mean. Every great general is built on a pile o' dead footsoldiers. And once rumors get rollin' the opposition starts to take notice. Fame an' fortune are great ideas, but they come with some heavy baggage. Heavier for the folks what back you up.~
 ++ ~[PC] You don't know the half of it. Have I mentioned that I am the child of a god?~ + c-aranft3childofgod
 + ~[PC] Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~Hey, you signed on. What were you expecting, comfortable inns and dancing girls?~ + c-aranft3dancinggirlsfemale
 + ~[PC] Gender(Player1,MALE)~ + ~Hey, you signed on. What were you expecting, comfortable inns and dancing girls?~ + c-aranft3dancinggirlsmale
 ++ ~[PC] Don't worry. I take care of my friends, Aran.~ + c-aranft3friends
 ++ ~[PC] Hey, we are a team, remember? We take care of eachother.~ + c-aranft3friends
 ++ ~[PC] I reward those who serve me as greatly as I punish my enemies. Any further questions?~ + c-aranft3shutdown
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3lessaid
 SAY ~[ARAN] If you say so. I just don't like not knowin' the odds. Makes me less useful an' all.~
 ++ ~[PC] I'll tell you what you need to know, Whitehand. Until then, shut up and soldier.~ + c-aranft3shutdown
 ++ ~[PC] Look, there are some things best kept very, very quiet. But off the record, that was me. Just don't mention it again.~ + c-aranft3shutdown
 ++ ~[PC] The odds are high that you will prove useful, Aran. As long as you keep your rumors to yourself.~ + c-aranft3shutdown
 ++ ~[PC] (sigh) Alright, Aran. Yes, it was me.~ + c-aranft3itwasme
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3childofgod
 SAY ~[ARAN] Ha! That's a good one! Or are you serious... hey, I never put any stock in *those* rumors. You really are a Child of Murder?~
 ++ ~[PC] We godlings prefer the term 'Bhaalspawn', I believe.~ + c-aranft3bhaalspawn
 ++ ~[PC] No, I was just teasing you.~ + c-aranft3gullible
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. Father is a big guy, evil, lots of kids, murder, death, blood, the whole works. Do you want to meet him?~ + c-aranft3bhaalspawn
 ++ ~[PC] My father was Bhaal. We do not get along well.~ + c-aranft3bhaalspawn
 ++ ~[PC] Did you know that the word 'gullible' has four of the letter 'L'?~ + c-aranft3gullible
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3bhaalspawn
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, knock me over with Clangedden's Hammer. A Bhaalspawn. Well, that explains some things, I guess. I think I might be right glad I am on your side. If even half of the stories are half true, I wouldn't want to be against you, that's for sure.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-aranft3shutdown
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3gullible
 SAY ~[ARAN] Heh. You had me goin' for a minute there.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3friends
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, I guess that is the best that can be hoped for. I mean, I appreciate th' compliment, about friends, an' team, an' all. It makes it easier to do the job when you know your compatriots be wachin' your back.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3dancinggirlsfemale
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now that you mention it, the occasional inn is right fine, but I wasn't expectin' it to be a regular occurrence. About that dancin' girls part, that depends... are you offerin' to dance?~
 ++ ~[PC] Let's keep this professional, Aran.~ + c-aranft3no
 ++ ~[PC] You couldn't keep up with me, boyo. I wouldn't want to give you a heart attack, or anything.~ + c-aranft3yes
 ++ ~[PC] You play a dangerous game, Whitehand. Did I somehow give you the idea that you could talk with me this way?~ + c-aranft3no
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + c-aranft3no
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + c-aranft3yes
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3dancinggirlsmale
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now that you mention it, the occasional inn is right fine, but I wasn't expectin' it to be a regular occurrence. About that dancin' girls part... well, I suspect the whole fame thing works for me as for you. You let me know next time you go wenching, an' I'll be right happy to buy the first round.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3yes
 SAY ~[ARAN] (Aran's neck blushes crimson fire)~
 = ~[ARAN] Well, err... I...  Never mind, then. Got to go see a man about a horse, an' all.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3no
 ~[ARAN] Hey, I'm sorry, there. Didn't mean no harm.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranft3shutdown
 SAY ~[ARAN] Right then. I'll go sharpen somethin', or just poke about a bit. Make myself useful, an' all.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

The 4th entry is interesting - since the replies are evaluated from the bottom up, we can have a high dexterity player get the response, but can add a special "hijack" line to a new state for pickpocket-style players who have put points into pickpocketing. We don't over-guess what kind of thief a player plays, or screen for thief class (you could have a high dexterity and be any class) - we just screen for the specific stat increase the player has chosen to use. We could expand this with the other .ids entries, like proficiencies, etc., but these get more difficult. There are Tweaks which change proficiency styles, so using these is dangerous. Better in that case to screen for class and kit. But we might come back to this one later and play around with a few more ideas, like "PC is a sorceror" or "PC is a Barbarian". For now, it is already structured and has as much content as a modern mod-added friendtalk has (usually BioWare +10% to +40%).

If you wanted to go this route, it adds to the realism, but Jastey did something fun with Ajantis, where he offers to carry some of the PC's things. One of the PC response options is "I'm stronger than you, actually." My 12-strength characters often said that, and I got to imagine Ajantis standing there blinking, scratching his head, and wondering where <CHARNAME> put her biceps.

Guest jastey*
My 12-strength characters often said that,
Now I am scratching my head, since that line had an checkstat trigger for Player1 to it when I coded it. Do you mean it doesn't work?

Archived