Clubs and Backstabbing

lac

I like Ardanis idea and thought about it myself but never suggested it because I thought it was not possible to give an higher BS multiplier but only reduce it.

If so, I do recommend it as well.

Mike's proposal is fine for me and it is consistent with the two weapons fighting restriction that IR comes with.

A revised table:

• +1 bonus for daggers
  • No penalty for other 'light' one handers (short sword, wakizashi, ninja-to, club)
  • -1 penalty for 'medium' one handers (long sword, axe, scimitar, warhammer, mace, morningstar)
  • -2 penalty for 'heavy' one handers (bastard swords, katanas, flails)
  • -3 penalty for two-handers

I'd prefer an 'absolutely no backstabbing with 2 handed weapons'. I don't believe you can

backstab with a flail, either. Then I would like a stiff penalty (or outright forbidding) for longswords,

katanas, maces ....

I'd be happy for a backstab bonus for daggers, though.

just my opinion,

Laura

Maces would not be very good, nor flails as moving stealthily with a flail is really tough. A 2h-sword is a little hard to manoeuvre for proper backstabbing, but Daggers would be good, as long as they aren't ranged daggers.

Icen

I'd prefer an 'absolutely no backstabbing with 2 handed weapons'. I don't believe you can

backstab with a flail, either. Then I would like a stiff penalty (or outright forbidding) for longswords,

katanas, maces ....

I'd be happy for a backstab bonus for daggers, though.

just my opinion,

Laura

This is also my preference.

A revised table:

• +1 bonus for daggers
  • No penalty for other 'light' one handers (short sword, wakizashi, ninja-to, club)
  • -1 penalty for 'medium' one handers (long sword, axe, scimitar, warhammer, mace, morningstar)
  • -2 penalty for 'heavy' one handers (bastard swords, katanas, flails)
  • -3 penalty for two-handers

This is a nice compromise imo.

Then if people ( like me ) think a 2handed weapon shoud never be used to backstab, just don't equip one.

Backstabbing in the BG serie has nothing to do with realism btw.

Hm....

Scimitars are mainly for slashing, and I can't really imagine a thief with a Scimitar stabbing anything to much effect, I don't think it really has a proper point to the blade, making stabbing a tad difficult.

Ninja-To ought to get a bonus, as they were also used for very close combat, but probably not as much as a dagger.

Icen

Scimitars are mainly for slashing, and I can't really imagine a thief with a Scimitar stabbing anything to much effect . . .

I think you're taking "Backstabbing" a little too literally. All it really is is a Sneak Attack, concentrating on landing a powerful hit in a vital/unprotected area before the enemy even knows there's a threat. Theoretically, you could "backstab" someone from the front, with a blunt weapon, all you have to do is take them unawares.

Scimitars are mainly for slashing, and I can't really imagine a thief with a Scimitar stabbing anything to much effect . . .

I think you're taking "Backstabbing" a little too literally. All it really is is a Sneak Attack, concentrating on landing a powerful hit in a vital/unprotected area before the enemy even knows there's a threat. Theoretically, you could "backstab" someone from the front, with a blunt weapon, all you have to do is take them unawares.

I think that is only half the story. There are some items which should be restricted from backstabbing because you

just cannot sneak around with them. By the way, I would like to add flaming swords to that list. But the other

half of the story is 'can I make a precision attack with this weapon?' I don't think its _possible_ to land a powerful

hit in a vital/unprotected area with a Flail. No matter how surprised your enemy is, there is just no way you can

make a flail do more damage than it would if he weren't surprised. It's just not made for precision at all.

Archived