Why Delainy can't be cured of lycanthropy...

JPS

This is just in response to a few observations and possible ideas of curing Delainy.

The short answer is that it can't be done and here is why.  (This information comes from the 2nd Edition monster manual).

The book specifies two types of lycanthropy.  The first is infected, such as if one is bitten by a werewolf.  That is the type that may be cured if found early, and you use a remove curse spell and such.  (Another way to cure it is to eat a sprig of belladonna within an hour of the attack, and this has a 25% chance of curing the infected person).

The second, which is what Delainy is, are the true lycanthropes, those born as lycanthropes.  In this case, lycanthropy is as natural as breathing, and the condition cannot be altered.  True lycanthropes have complete control over their physical states; they are not affected by darkness, phases of the moon, or any of the other situations which traditionally affected infected lycanthropes.

OOC:

I think we may have something for the first FAQ, Camdawg.

Hmm... I don't know why anyone would want to cure Delainy. From what you've written in the fiction posts she seems to be totally happy with being a werewolf and would probably not see the point of anyone suggesting that it could be "cured".

(it would be a bit like suggesting that you could cure Jan from being a gnome or Aerie from being an elf... It should be noted, however, that Jan's great-uncle Archibald was in fact cured from being a gnome using large amounts of turnip beer and a dead rat tied to a string. Turned out that with his gnomishness gone he turned into a seven foot tall half-orc with a bad temper and a tendency to grunt while speaking. He got used to it in the end, but great-aunt Petunia never really got over it.)

Well, as you might have noticed I don't really have anything to add. Just thought I'd visit the neighbours, and this seemed like a good place to start.

JPS

Well, if you grew up with a condition like lycanthropy, especially where you are in control, I don't think one would view it as a curse.  Note, the infected lycanthropy on the other hand...

And I just chalk it up to people not having the 2nd Edition Monster Manual, and just knowing that most werecreatures seem to be the ones who were made by the bite of another lycanthrope...and not the difference with the born lycanthropes.

Heh, remember, when one is cursed with "bitten lycanthropy" during the full moon they will want to change, and run amuck, savaging all in their path, and they may think this also applies to Del :D

As for curing Jan?  Why would I want to? ;-)  He provides a needed function by providing transport for overly done vegetables ;-)

It should be noted, however, that Jan's great-uncle Archibald was in fact cured from being a gnome using large amounts of turnip beer and a dead rat tied to a string. Turned out that with his gnomishness gone he turned into a seven foot tall half-orc with a bad temper and a tendency to grunt while speaking. He got used to it in the end, but great-aunt Petunia never really got over it.

Practicing for Jan, are we? :D

@Bri

Noted; I'll add it.

But the whole population of the Island in Trackless Sea was actually Balduran's former crew, who had been *cursed* with lycanthropy... They are infected, not natral lycanthropes.

Yes, the ancestors of the Balduran crew were infected lycanthropes.

However, their offspring were born true lycanthropes (they inherited it by the bloodline rather than being bitten and being infected that way).

(An infected werewolf that mates with another infected werewolf will have offspring that are true lycanthropes).

And even their ancestors were maledictive (cursed) lycanthropes, rather than infected lycanthropes.

True they were cursed, and as some would be likely to point out the spell in the 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual the spell for cursed lycanthropy specifically states that others can't be infected with it...but the werewolves were capable of breeding more of their kind. And since the people do have control of their forms, no matter the time of day or night, an ability gifted to only true lycanthropes...

This is just another instance where BioWare made some decisions that are slightly different than canon...

But the whole population of the Island in Trackless Sea was actually Balduran's former crew, who had been *cursed* with lycanthropy... They are infected, not natral lycanthropes.

Yes, the ancestors of the Balduran crew were infected lycanthropes.

However, their offspring were born true lycanthropes (they inherited it by the bloodline rather than being bitten and being infected that way).

(An infected werewolf that mates with another infected werewolf will have offspring that are true lycanthropes).

interesting...an example of Lamarkian evolution...

(10 points to those who get it...)

:D

hmmm...

ok 3 guys walk into a motel late at night...they find out all the rooms are full, except one large suite which rents 30 dollars a night.  so they each cough up 10 bucks, and rent the room....

the next morning, the day manager tells them that the room really only costs 25 dollars...so he hands them 5 one dollar bills back...each of the guys, takes a single dollar, and gives the day manager a tip of 2 dollars for being honest...

now each of the guys paid 10 dollars, and got back one dollar, so they really paid 9 dollars...9x3=27 dollars, they paid the day manager 2 dollar tip, what happened to the last dollar??? :D  :D  :D

27 to the hotel includes the tip. The extra three go to the guys (one each).

Here's one of my faves from first year quantum mechanics, aka the twin paradox: As you travel close to the the speed of light, time dilates. There are twin brothers on Earth. One leaves for a star five light years away traveling at 80% of the speed of light, and returns at the same speed. Since he ages less as he's traveling, he would theoretically return to Earth and be younger than his twin brother.

Why is this not possible? :D

actually he would have biologically aged slower than his twin...

in the frame of reference of the twin that stayed home, he's been away for 8 years...but to the frame of reference of the travelling twin, he's been gone only two years...no paradox, just different frames of reference...

now what really bothers me is the wormhole paradox version of the same concept...generate two worm holes, put one wormhole on a spaceship, and travel to alpha centauri and back at .99 light, and come back to earth... stepping into the travelling wormhole would actually send you back into time 7 years into the past, invalidating the laws of causality... :D

or create that time machine speculated a few years back...take a solar system sized mass, make it into a huge cylinder...and spin it at half the speed of light...a parabolic orbit around the cylinder could actually send you into the past... :D  :D  :D

Archived