Love Talks

OK. Looking through both BioWare materials and all of the NPC modded romances I can find out there, we have a couple of things to think about with regards to the lovetalk sequence. The standard approach is to ask about family, share some personal background, develop a sense of friendship and intimacy, and to hold off on any deep pronouncements of attraction until late in the game. This is a solid model mimicking real life; gradual expansion of the idea that a person is interesting, developing a sense of rapport, and slowly building intimacy. (OK, so not so much for Saerileth, but what do you expect from a massively hormonally driven 15 year old Paladin of Tyr who has obviously read way too many romance novels back on her home plane - all that power, energy, lust, and excitement coupled with a heavy dose of Romatic Idealism and first love, and you have a "Mine Own True Prince Charming True Love At First Sight with a heavy dose of Shakespearean Angst® and Faustian Promise©. She feels things so deeply that if you break her heart, she dies of it - only a massive convergence of Tyr's power, the rush of first adolescent love, and the intense focus of a fanatic could produce that result even in a fantasy setting. So let's just forget she exists for the purposes of this discussion. If anything she is the anti-Aran, anyways. If he gets thrown over for someone else, he is more likely to get very angry, very drunk, and hit every bar and brothel in Western Faerun, starting in Amn. He probably ends somewhere deep in the pleasure quarter of a backwater Calimshan dock, running the "Extra-Planar Casa Blanca Humphrey Bogart Gin Joint for Disposessed Lovers and Angy Young Men" (courtesy of Billy Joel, with an infinite loop of Angry Young Man, Shades of Grey, and All for Leyna running over Film Noir backdrops.)

The commonalites:

• Gradually developing storyline exploring eachother's background, usually driven by the NPC (showing increasing interest).
  • Indistinguishable from friend talks for the first several in the series. Mimics the RL "I am talking to <prohimher> more than to other folks because I think I might like him."
  • Increasingly tailored responses, with several opportunities for the NPC to "break up" - the NPC is evaluating PC and determining if they meet the criteria. And vice versa, of course...
  • Attempts to shut down if the romance goes committed to another NPC, or if the criteria set is no longer met.

There is another commonality - the "Conditioned Lovetalk". You know, the one where you have to be resting outdoors to get the next lovetalk, or resting in an inn... basically, the author needs to set the scene a certain way for the interaction to occur - and the lovetalks go into a holding pattern until the player meets those conditions. Those, well...

I hate 'em.

They work beautifully from a storytelling standpoint, they make sense, and they are some of the nicest vignettes in game - and they even have good gaming value because they stretch content out across the entire game. My absolute favorite is Domi's BG1NPC Dancing With Dynaheir lovetalk.

And I still hate 'em.

They are in character, like Nalia needing to return to the Keep for consummation because that "wait for the special person and everything should be just right" is a fantasy that people try to play out in real life, too. And it is silly for Ajantis to try to do a rose flirt under the stars when there are no stars and you are in Underdark, making it imperative that conditions for the talk are set to make it fit. It makes sense from a "relationship plateau" standpoint, where the will-she-or-won't-she-show-some-interest stalls while characters get up the nerve. It even makes sense for the player to have to "work for it", because a game where there is no challenge is a game played once and forgotten. A character has to play hard to get just like a human does, at times and situations, to show self-respect and self-awareness.

But I can't get past the fact that I hate 'em.

I hate them because they demand that the sequence wait for a set of conditions to fulfill, for the "stars to be aligned"... for the player to do something specific without realizing it. Which leads to metagaming. Which makes folks post stuff like "Aran hasn't talked to me in three chapters - was I wrong to tell him to sleep with whom he chooses... did I break the romance?" to which I have to reply "No, not at all - you need to be a Half-Elven Female Lawful Good Paladin with a Charisma of 18, Intelligence of 16+, wisdom of 12-, after sleeping in an outdoor area three times, be resting in an inn in Brynlaw, have only elven female Fighter/Mages in the party, have killed three vampires in the last 14 script cycles, game time must be greater than 16 hours, it needs to be night, and you must have installed Divine Remix. Oh, and it only works if you have correctly answered three riddles in the 12 riddle sequence while battling vampiric shades in Firkaag's Lair."

So, what ideas can I twist to make the standard NPC format work, but avoid this? Well, "Floaters".

Aran's "Sequences vs Floaters"

For Aran, let's try

1. straight friendship track, based on the timer and no other basic conditions. The player gets to set how often they might be triggered.
  2. straight romance track, based on the timer and no other basic conditions. The player gets to set how often they might be triggered.
  3. a pool of "Floater" talks. These talks/events can be triggered after certain lovetalks, and tightly conditioned. They become "Easter Eggs", or unlocked content after a lovetalk has passed, just like the Filrt Sequence "I have had enough teasing, I want you" material. This separation allows a simple and easily scripted sequence that still can be derailed by either player or NPC based on reactions and answers, but provides the opportunity to have event-specific or conditioned content. Most of all, the main sequence of the story can play out even if Player1 decide to never, ever, ever rest in an inn, becuse their Druidess absolutely would die rather than sleep in the Great Blight That Is Civilization.

Since I like music, and it can serve as inspiration for either mood or content, let's play around with using musical analogies/temes/evoked mood to gain inspiration. No need to re-invent the Bb Major Scale; love has been around as long as humans have, and the themes are good fun to play arond with and take in different directions. We follow the standard Romantic Comedy sequence - attraction but separation, leading to attraction but conflict, leaading to resolution, leading to misunderstanding and/or barriers and self-sabotage, leading to breakup. leading to soul-searching, leading to a. Dissolution (Tragedy: It Was Never To Be), b. Resolution (Comedy/Romance: Happily Ever After) or Transmutation (Comedy/Romance: The Other Girl Was the Protagonist's Soul Mate From The Start). This is more risky than the standard story/film/play/anime-based graphic novel line; the player still has to work through these things with a real chance of failure. The escape lines for both NPC and PC mean that some content may never be unlocked; but it frees us up to a new idea necessary for an NPC - how do you write for diferent players? Remember, he is a Companion Mod. The fun is figuring out how it all works for Aran and PC, and gives them a chance at having the romance in a roleplay that takes players into account. The same lovetalk, under this model, could be four separate scenes, even before we add in pathways for the PC to alter the action and direction:

EVIL vs ARAN

[PC] Serve me. Love me.

[ARAN] I don't want to.

[PC] You know you want me. I can feel your passion, your fire. Why do you resist what you want so much that you stand there, trembling with desire?

[ARAN] You see things so dark, there, <charname>. I am not sure I like you at all. I love you so much it hurts. But you are downright selfish, arrogant, an' evil.

[PC] Flattery will get you everywhere, Aran. I mean *everywhere*. But no more words - you want me. And I want you. You should be my consort. We could rule the world.

[ARAN] I don't want to rule the world.

[PC] I wasn't asking you, Aran... (lithe arms snake around his neck, pulling him into a lascivious embrace)

[PC] I was telling you.

GOOD vs ARAN (and if you don't know the scene that sparked this idea, go see Notting Hill again. Good screenplay, if trivial).

[PC] I think you love me.

[ARAN] I don't want to. It scares me.

[PC] You know you want me. I can feel your passion, your fire. Why do you resist what you want so much that you stand there, trembling with desire?

[ARAN] You see things so black an' white, there, <charname>. You do right by people, an' help them. But you are so powerful. You smash your enemies completely. I will never be man enough to meet half o' what you do. I love you so much it hurts. But you scare the crap out o' me.

[PC] I may be powerful, and strong. But I am also just a woman, who wants a good partner who loves her.

[ARAN] Are you sayin' what I think you are sayin'? Are you askin' for us to be together permanent?

[PC] I wasn't asking you, Aran... (your hands catch his cheeks, cradling his face, as you draw him close to you)

[PC] I was telling you.

CHAOS vs ARAN

[PC] Sometimes, I think you love me. But I am not sure you realize it.

[ARAN] I don't want to. It scares me.

[ARAN] You see things different every day, <charname>. I'm bloody scared that one day you will love me, the next I'll be an enemy. An' I don't see no rhyme or reason to it. I love you so much it hurts. But you scare the crap out o' me.

[PC] Why are you so stodgy? Give in to the moment! Be a part of life, not standing on the edge. Jump into the abyss with me, and we will ride the whirlwind for the sheer thrill of it!

[ARAN] How long is this goin' to last, <charname>? I'm not so free as you. When I love, it's more permanent. This may hurt me more'n I can take.

[PC] I wasn't asking you, Aran... (your hands catch his cheeks, cradling his face, as you draw him close to you)

[PC] I was telling you.

LAW vs ARAN

[PC] I think you love me. I know I have feelings for you.

[ARAN] It scares me.

[ARAN] You see things clean an' neat, all contract bound an' properly notarized, <charname>. I'm scared o' that kind o' committment. I've never been tied down to one place or one person. I love you so much it hurts. But you scare the crap out o' me.

[PC] We can build a real relationship together; build a real life together that shelters us and protects us from the chaosof life. We can be sword and shield, working together.

[ARAN] You are more powrful than I am, <charname>. An' your destiny is much more powerful than mine. I don't want to be th' millstone around your neck, holdi' you down out o' fealty an' obligation. re you askin' me to take that risk? Buildin' an equal relationshipout o' such disparity?

[PC] I was telling you.

With that in mind, let's get an outline of a set of ovetalks that follows the Romantic Comedy conflict setup of will she? Won't she? Does she? SHE DOES! EWait a sec... you mean i have to... Hey, that wasn't good. No Fair. Who is *he*. What is going on here? [misunderstanding/conflict]

Central Lovetalk Pathway Index: Inspiration Playlist

33 base sequence talks, combined between SoA and ToB. Only 4 fit with ToB, with Marriage and Eternity talks, so either move some around or add some, or cut some, I think.

This is an inspirational playlist, not a guide direct content - the idea is to either evoke the song's feeling for the female player, or to provide what Aran is feeling, depending on the song. Please note I am still a dude - and I like a very large range of stuff musically, so while all this stuff has complete playthrough in my head, it shares it with avante-garde classical, Stravinsky, Grateful Dead, Dave Mathews band, Green Day, Feist, and a heavy dose of grunge, alternative, pretty much anything except mysogynistic rap. Oh, and I can't get "Amish Paradise" out of my head - thanks alot, Al Yankovic.

MAIN LOVETALK SEQUENCE

>>>

/* Romance ended, buddy - it's Over. Go back to work, SellSword.

//* Dixie Chicks - Hello, Mr. Heartache */

>>>

1. /* Hey - I'm available, even though you aren't or might be on the fence */

//* Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Take My Chances */

//* BG2 LoveTalk 1, c-aranbg2rom = 1 c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */

//* Dixie Chicks: Ready To Run */

//* BG2 LoveTalk 2, c-aranbg2rom = 3 c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */

//* Queen - Somebody To Love */

2. /* I like you - do you like me? */

//* ABBA - Name of the Game */

//* Billy Joel - You may be Right/We Didn't Start The Fire mixology */

//* ABBA - Take A Chance On Me: */

/* I want you - do you want me? */

//* Dixie Chicks - If I Fall: */

//* Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic */

//* Dixie Chicks - Long Time Gone: */

//* Billy Joel - Blonde Over Blue */

(I really love this one)

3. /* You have me - do I have you? */

//* Billy Joel - Up Town Girl */

Uptown Girl

//* Journey - Any Way You Want It */

>>>>I was alone

>>>>I never knew

>>>>What good love could do

>>>>Ooh, then we touched

>>>>Then we sang

>>>>About the lovin things

4. /* You don't really want me, do you. */

//* Billy Joel - Shades of Grey */

//* Police - Wrapped around Your Finger */

/* Dating a Once and Future Goddess stinks. */

//* Police - Roxanne */

//* Billy Joel - Everybody Loves You Now */

Visiting the very dark side, the great subtext - like ABBA, upbeat and funny, fun, interesting, until you listen carefully... and then the irony kicks you in the teeth and you realize that all the pretty colors are the side-effect of a 20th level mage casting Color Spray..

Everybody Loves You Now

//* Police - Every Breath You Take */

Sinister and loving at the same time. Creepy.

5. /* I hate you. */

//* ABBA - I'm A Marrionette */

//* Billy Joel - Big Shot */

//* Billy Joel - Captain Jack */

6. /* I can't live without you. */

//* Billy Joel - All for Leyna */

//* Phil Collins - Take a look At Me Now */

//* Mary Chapin Carpenter - Shut Up and Kiss Me */

7. /* Will you be here forever? */

//* Billy Joel - Honesty */

//* ABBA - One Man, One Woman */

8. /* I am yours, completely, without reservations. */

//* 10,000 Maniacs - Because the Night: Because the night belongs to lovers, Because the night belongs to us */

This one may have to move to the middle of SoA if we are going for Romantic Comedy - or it might have to be a close to the end of ToB full Destiny or Desire moment.

Save this one for the full on heavy duty erotic moment.

Apparently, it is alot more popular than I thought, judging by the videos available. I thought only old dudes like me listened to this stuff. [EDIT - Wow. Agressive Copyright Enforcement. Cutting out six links that no longer work]

Original - Bruce Springsteen's version doesn't capture the raw energy even though they wrote it together. But, I'm a sucker for more smooth and demanding, yearning, insistent voices that curl around your psyche and sweep you along - so 10000 Maniacs with Natalie Merchant instead - Wow. I must really like this song.

//* Mary Chapin Carpenter - This Shirt */

//* Billy Joel - She's Always A Woman To Me */

9. /* Marry me? Or just live together forever? Or even if you become a goddess... can I worship you?

//* Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes */

//* Lee Ann Womak - I Hope You Dance */

/* Choosing to Be A Goddess Or Not */

//* Mr. Mister - Kyrie */

>>>>Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel

>>>>Kyrie eleison, through the darkness of the night

>>>>Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow

>>>>Kyrie eleison, on a highway in the light

//* Chicago - Love me Tomorrow */

OK, this gives us an outline. Some of these will be slashed and burned, too - if it just doesn't work, it just doesn't work. But we have a basic framework to build from.

Let's try a first lovetalk:

/* Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Take My Chances */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 1, c-aranbg2rom = 1  c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */

/* Link to net reference, but the CD is much better :: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYhjNDFMMc0 */

IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN  c-aranbg2romtalk1
 SAY ~[ARAN] Are ye needin' somethin', <charname>?~
 ++ ~[PC] No. Why do you ask?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ GOTO c-aranbg2rom1ask
 ++ ~[PC] I was about to ask you the same question.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ GOTO c-aranbg2rom1question
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. After I box your ears. Touch me again without my permission, and I will do far worse.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ GOTO c-aranbg2rom1boxed
 ++ ~[PC] Yes, I do. I need you to watch our surroundings, and stop watching me.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ GOTO c-aranbg2rom1watchingme
 ++ ~[PC] You flatter yourself, boyo.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ GOTO c-aranbg2rom1boyo
 <<standard exit="" block="">>
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1ask
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, you keep strayin' your eyes my way, is all. An' I do believe I was a mite forward, back there, with my hands. You should box my ears but good. Sune knows I deserve it.  Or was you goin' to tell me that I have permission to be a scoundrel?~
 ++ ~[PC] You have my permission, Aran. If you are man enough for the task.~ + c-aranbg2rom1manenough
 ++ ~[PC] Scoundrel. Aran, you surprise me. You actually know a word longer than 'aye'.~ + c-aranbg2rom1wordlonger
 ++ ~[PC] Again with the romance. Some men don't take a hint. Look, drop it, Aran. And touch me again and you will be very sorry.~ + c-aranbg2rom1verysorry
 ++ ~[PC] You flatter yourself, boyo.~ + c-aranbg2rom1boyo
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1question
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, I hinted back there, is all. My eyes be strayin' your way too, I guess. An' you didn't box my ears back there when my hand kinda wandered a bit.~
 ++ ~[PC] Touch my rear again without my permission, and I will do far worse.~ + c-aranbg2rom1boxed
 ++ ~[PC] You have my permission, Aran. If you are man enough for the task.~ + c-aranbg2rom1manenough
 ++ ~[PC] Scoundrel. Aran, you surprise me. You actually know a word longer than 'aye'.~ + c-aranbg2rom1wordlonger
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1boxed
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, I do believe I was a mite forward. You should box 'em but good. Sune knows I deserve it.  Or was you goin' to tell me that I have permission to be a scoundrel?~
 ++ ~[PC] Forward is good. But there is a time and place.~ + c-aranbg2rom1timeandplace
 ++ ~[PC] *whack*~ + c-aranbg2rom1whacked
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1watchingme
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, I do admit you are a sight to be watched, <charname>. But I can watch you an' keep lookout too.~
 ++ ~[PC] You misunderstand me. If you think I am watching because you are attractive, you flatter yourself, boyo. I just can't trust you to keep your mind on the job.~ + c-aranbg2rom1boyo
 ++ ~[PC] I don't mind the glances, Aran. But there is a time and place.~ + c-aranbg2rom1timeandplace
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, Aran, my dearest love, come and we shall frolic freely among the stars, and be one together for all eternity... + c-aranbg2rom1joking
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1joking
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, that's right. Make fun o' the poor lad what just was flirtin' with you. Go on wi' ye. ~
 ++ ~[PC] Well, stop with all the love stuff and let's just stick to business, shall we?~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] No, no, it's true. You are my destiny, Aran. That, or I am supposed to be the doing something about prophecies, or something.  We can't just leave all that to chance, can we?~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, Aran. You have been teasing me with all this looking and touching.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] You have a good deal to learn about women, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1boyo
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, not to flatter myelf, exactly. I just believe in takin' some chances, is all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Chance is fine when it comes to some things. But you are treading dangerous ground here.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] Chance is something to be avoided at all costs. There is an order to all things, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom1timeandplace
 ++ ~[PC] So you believe that taking your life into your hands and accosting me is worth the risk?~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] If you want a chance with me, you had better behave.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] No chance here, Aran. I have my attentions placed elsewhere. Stop bothering me.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1manenough
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, I be man enough. Just not sure where the rules an' regulations put us, you bein' you an' all. Then again, I do believe in takin' chances.~
 ++ ~[PC] Chance is fine when it comes to some things. But you are treading dangerous ground here.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] Chance is something to be avoided at all costs. There is an order to all things, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] So you believe that taking your life into your hands and accosting me is worth the risk?~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] If you want a chance with me, you had better behave.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] Some things I leave to chance, Aran. But I like the odds better when the person is much better educated. + c-aranbg2rom1wordlonger
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1wordlonger
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, you know how to hurt a lad, you do. I didn't do all this scribin' blind. There be some words I can't pronounce, but I can even do a bit of Dwarven an' Illuskan script. 'Scoundrel' has been used about me before, too. Sometimes for good, sometimes meanin' bad... an' always meanin' trouble.~
 ++ ~[PC] Your mother must be so proud.~ + c-aranbg2rom1mocking
 ++ ~[PC] And you chose to use this extensive vocabulary on me because...~ + c-aranbg2rom1boyo
 ++ ~[PC] Good, bad, or indifferent, you are welcome to try sparring with me, Aran. But aren't you taking a big chance, here?~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] Somehow this conversation has gotten sidetracked. Keep your eyes and hands to yourself, sellsword. I won't give many second chances.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1timeandplace
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, I don't rightly believe that. There is naught but little time to spend on Faerun, an' it don't serve the time we have to play it so safe.~ 
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO  c-aranbg2rom1chances
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1whacked
 SAY ~[ARAN] SUNE'S RUMP! That bloody well hurt!~
 ++ ~[PC] Forward is good. But there is a time and place. Learn it, and yours.~ + c-aranbg2rom1timeandplace
 ++ ~[PC] Keep your eyes and hands to yourself, sellsword. I won't give many second chances.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
 ++ ~[PC] Shall I kiss it and make it better, Aran?~ + c-aranbg2rom1mocking
 ++ ~[PC] I mean what I say. Stop flirting with me, or risk my wrath.~ + c-aranbg2rom1chances
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1verysorry
 SAY ~[ARAN] I already bloody well am sorry I brought anythin' up. You need to lighten up, <charname>, an' take some chances. ~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1mocking
 SAY ~[ARAN] Selune's Sweet Breath, you are mockin' me! Well, now, can't say as I blame you. I did come on a bit strong.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom1chances
 SAY ~[ARAN] Look, most times it is better to dive in, an try.  An' if there be some problem, the folks you want to be around forgive you freely, an' the folks you want naught to do with try to extract some price. When Tymora lets fly a coin, I jump right in an' wager high. I take my chances every chance I get. ~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

</charname></charname></standard></standard></standard></standard></charname></charname></charname></charname></charname></charname></charname></prohimher>

And number two:

Lyrics

/* Dixie Chicks: Ready To Run */
/* LoveTalk 2, c-aranbg2rom = 3 */
IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN BEGIN c-aranbg2lt1
 SAY ~[ARAN] You just don't stop, do you.~
 ++ ~[PC] What are you talking about?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2lt1likeit
 ++ ~[PC] Why do I get the feeling you are about to start a discussion...~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2lt1likeit
 ++ ~[PC] No, I don't stop. Can we talk while we walk?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2lt1likeit
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I do not have time for discussion now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2lt1out1
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I do not have time for discussion now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2lt1out2
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I do not have time for discussion now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2lt1out3
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1likeit
 SAY ~[ARAN] I kind of like it, y'know. Admire it. There be some drawbacks what come up, though. I don't see anyone really capturin' your attention right now.~
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Enough talk. Let's move on.~ + c-aranbg2lt1out1
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Enough talk. Let's move on.~ + c-aranbg2lt1out2
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Enough talk. Let's move on.~ + c-aranbg2lt1out3
 ++ ~[PC] If you are talking about this lifestyle, then you are right. I don't like to stay in one place long.~ + c-aranbg2lt1placelong
 ++ ~[PC] I capture all the attention I want, and more.~ + c-aranbg2lt1andmore
 ++ ~[PC] Just what kind of attention are you talking about, Aran?~ + c-aranbg2lt1talkabout
 ++ ~[PC] I don't want romantic entanglements right now. I have a job to do.~ + c-aranbg2lt1jobtodo
 ++ ~[PC] My attention is pretty well captured, I think.~ + c-aranbg2lt1captured
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1placelong
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well now, it's more than the lifestyle.~ 
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-aranbg2lt1placelong2
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1captured
 SAY ~[ARAN] You could have fooled me. You don't seem to be makin' eyes at no one in particular.~
 ++ ~[PC] You just don't know what to look for, Aran. A lady doesn't advertise.~ + c-aranbg2lt1placelong2
 ++ ~[PC] Sometimes men are so dense.~ + c-aranbg2lt1dense
 ++ ~[PC] I think I have made my feelings pretty well known, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2lt1talkabout
 ++ ~[PC] Why should I flirt with one, when there are so many to choose from?~ + c-aranbg2lt1andmore
 ++ ~[PC] This doesn't sound like you, Aran. Is there something on your mind?~ + c-aranbg2lt1placelong2
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1dense
 SAY ~[ARAN] That they can be. I've seen it meself. The fool boy goes on blatherin' and blathering, completely ingorant o' the blushes, glances, an' even attempts at flirtin'. Either that, or they dive right in an' ignore the warnin' signs.~ 
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1placelong2
 SAY ~[ARAN] I been on th' road now nigh on eight years, buy one count, an' my whole life by another. An' it is fun for awhile. But sometimes leavin' a pretty lass behind after a few weeks just feels all empty, somehow.~
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds like you have a bit of a problem. Luckily, I don't share it.~ + c-aranbg2lt1loveandleave
 ++ ~[PC] Are you developing a conscience, just have not found the right woman, or are you just getting old?~ + c-aranbg2lt1old
 ++ ~[PC] There really is not much choice for an adventurer. The freedom to explore requires some sacrifices.~ + c-aranbg2lt1sacr
 ++ ~[PC] I know exactly what you mean. I have not had much time to think about romance myself.~ + c-aranbg2lt1thinkabout
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1andmore
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, didn't realize. You get too much attention from the menfolk?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. Especially from sellswords who should have their minds on their job, not on my cleavage.~ + c-aranbg2lt1cleavage
 ++ ~[PC] No. I get just the right amount of attention. All of it.~ + c-aranbg2lt1allofit
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I think this conversation is over.~ + c-aranbg2lt1out1
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I think this conversation is over.~ + c-aranbg2lt1out2
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I think this conversation is over.~ + c-aranbg2lt1out3
 ++ ~[PC] Well, I have noticed a few looks here and there. I even have a returned a few glances.~ + c-aranbg2lt1glances
 ++ ~[PC] I have already fallen for someone, Aran, and it isn't you. Do you think we can just be friends?~ + c-aranbg2lt1friends
 ++ ~[PC] I wouldn't mind a little more attention. At least from certain people.~ + c-aranbg2lt1thinkabout
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1cleavage
 SAY ~[ARAN] (blushes) Well, now, I didn't mean nothin'. An' it is right fine cleavage, too. But I get your point. Less talk, more walk. An' eyes front o' the formation.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1glances
 SAY ~[ARAN] As for me, I don't rightly know what I'm doin'. I can glance an' spark, an' get myself into lots o' trouble, but I can't never seem to find a good balance.~
 ++ ~[PC] I thought that all men ever want is a good tumble with no strings attached.~ + c-aranbg2lt1ever
 ++ ~[PC] Well, women adventurers are no different than men adventurers. It comes with the job.~ + c-aranbg2lt1jobtodo
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds like you have a bit of a problem. Luckily, I don't share it.~ + c-aranbg2lt1loveandleave
 ++ ~[PC] I know exactly what you mean. I have not had much time to think about romance myself.~ + c-aranbg2lt1thinkabout
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1talkabout
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, I should be more straight wi' the talk. I'm talkin' about romance an' the single adventurer, so to speak. It's just that travellin' is fine, but a man wants more than an occasional frolic in a hayloft.~ 
 ++ ~[PC] You must have a very different impression of 'men', Aran. I thought that is all they ever want.~ + c-aranbg2lt1ever
 ++ ~[PC] So this is about romance. Look, Aran, I don't think we have anything to talk about here. You might make a good friend, but that is all.~ + c-aranbg2lt1friends
 ++ ~[PC] Well, women adventurers are no different than men adventurers. It comes with the job.~ + c-aranbg2lt1jobtodo
 + ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Too much information from you, Aran...~ + c-aranbg2lt1out1
 + ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Too much information from you, Aran...~ + c-aranbg2lt1out2
 + ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Too much information from you, Aran...~ + c-aranbg2lt1out3
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1ever
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, I won't lie. Most times, given the choice between a frolic in a hayloft and anythin' else, well, that's no choice. That's a certainty. But after a few years down that road, when all the boy wears off an' a fellow looks around an' don't see no partner to share with, it wears kinda thin.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-aranbg2lt1finish
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1jobtodo
 SAY ~[ARAN] I do know what you're sayin'. Soldier, guard, adventurer, or travelin' merchant, the job's always first. But there be times when I think I might be ready for more, y'know?~ 
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1loveandleave
 SAY ~[ARAN] So you prefer no strings, an' quick action, an' no regrets?~ 
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. Perfect.~ + c-aranbg2lt1perfect
 ++ ~[PC] Sometimes there are just needs to fulfill, and that is the way of things. There will be time later to settle down.~ + c-aranbg2lt1old
 ++ ~[PC] I was joking, Aran. Of course not.~ + c-aranbg2lt1joking
 ++ ~[PC] I don't see much choice, given what life is sending my way.~ + c-aranbg2lt1sacr
 ++ ~[PC] Look, I may talk a good game, but the truth is I simply avoid romance like the plague. There are too many unknowns.~ + c-aranbg2lt1sacr
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1joking
 SAY ~[ARAN] Pullin' my leg, eh? Well now, that's right funny. But I am bein' kinda serious.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO c-aranbg2lt1old
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1perfect
 SAY ~[ARAN] I used to think the same m'self. But I don't know any more.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1old
 SAY ~[ARAN] I may be gettin' older, but I haven't seen more than twenty five summers. I can hold my own in a bar, be it drink or song. An' I can do a mite better than that if there be fightin'. No, it might be that I just haven't found the right woman.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1sacr
 SAY ~[ARAN] I know a mite about sacrifice, but there's got to be more to this pass 'round The Wheel. Tymora's Bright Coin, fortune favors the bold, an' so does she.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1thinkabout
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, I think about it about every five seconds, an' make no mistake, it be pleasant thoughts! It is just I never did realize 'til now that there's a big difference between a roll in a bed an' a real romantic time. Or mayhap I just never took the time to look hard at what I was doin'.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1friends
 SAY ~[ARAN] The story of my life. I hear ye, <CHARNAME>. Don't quite understand, but I do hear the words.~
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1finish
 SAY ~[ARAN] All I know is, I'm lookin' out for a change. Next time I see some lass wi' that look in her eye, or some fine woman who can give as good as she gets, I'm gonna be ready. For what, I don't rightly know. But more than a tumble.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1out1
 SAY ~[ARAN] Arvoreen's Silver Sword, you know how to cut a man down. Fine, I'll shup up.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1out2
 SAY ~[ARAN] Kossuth's Firey Kiss, you burned me bad, there. Shuttin' up an' soldierin'.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2lt1out3
 SAY ~[ARAN] Talos' Tempestuos Temper, you are moody.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

Quick additional brainstorming:

alternative/modern country is not fully my style, but the research is fun...

Reminder to self - they might be better inspiration for a female NPC, but

Passionate Kisses - cleaner, non-live clip is better from musical presentation, but misses the raw energy of live - from my wife's playlist - this one is simple, clean, powerful, and good thinking material. Too tangental.

Heck: He thinks he'll keep her though this particular presentation misses most of the point while still providing very nice art.

is much more powerful. And serious solid singers. No good for Aran - thought it was, but no real foothold on the emotion.

Shut up and kiss me might be good -

The Better to Dream of You I should have realized that country would have this stuff down pat.

ToB lovetalk inspiration, big time. Again more appropriate for a female NPC so discarding from this projectThis Shirt Enough to make a grown man cry.

Holy toledo - I think you could base an entire female romanceable just on Mary Chapin Carpenter tunes -

possible integration that might work for inspiration to swap out for parts of above:

ABBA : Lay All You Love On Me

ABBA : Knowing Me Knowing You

Edit: added some of the sound references to top post.

Aran is a bit slow to take "no" for an answer, but at some point the folks who expect their female character to romance exclusively other females need to be able to bail out and stop being hit on. LT 3 and LT 4 provide the final opportunities for this; after that, we can assume that a player wants the romance to continue. They have the PID to say "no thanks" and "we want to start up again", so if they determine they want to change their mind, that will be fine.

reminder to self - set variable on this expectation, for troubleshooting under Multi-Romance Tweaks

/* ABBA - Name of the Game */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 4, c-aranbg2rom = 7  c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */

IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",7)~ THEN BEGIN  c-aranbg2romtalk4
 SAY ~[ARAN] I wouldn't ordinarily mix business wi' pleasure, but it might not hurt to poke about a bit. What's an interestin' girl like you do for fun, anyways?~
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, many things. I like to sew, do bead work, craft little booties for my future children, sit in a rocking chair, and wait for my true prince to come and save me.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2rom4.1
 ++ ~[PC] I like to play games with rude sellsword's emotions until they are driven insane with desire, and then dump them.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2rom4.2
 ++ ~[PC] I find many things pleasurable. But I have not had any time to do much beyond survive, lately.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2rom4.3
 ++ ~[PC] A quiet, warm, calm place, a good book, and something nice to drink.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2rom4.4
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, you know, the usual. Wine, song, feasts, a little more wine... ~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2rom4.5
 ++ ~[PC] I think that is my own business, not yours.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranbg2rom4.6
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.1
 SAY ~[ARAN] They do say sarcasm is th' spice o' romance. You laid that one on a bit thick, though, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] Why, whatever do you mean, oh comely prince? Are you here to save me, carry me off, make hordes of children, and live happily ever after?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.challenge 
 ++ ~[PC] Ask a silly question, get a sarcastic answer.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.6
 ++ ~[PC] You do not take hints easily, do you?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.6
 ++ ~[PC] Well, I guess I just thought that was too obvious a pick-up line.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.6
 ++ ~[PC] If I were wearing a flower, Aran, it would be in the other ear. You are definitely barking up the wrong tree.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.otherteam
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.2
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, so you play th' courtin' game for fun, instead o' for profit.~
 ++ ~[PC] If you mean do I enjoy flirting, absolutely. And if you mean am I hard to get into bed, extremely.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.game
 ++ ~[PC] If you mean do I enjoy flirting, absolutely. And if you mean am I hard to get into bed, you haven't seen the looks I have been giving you.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.game
 ++ ~[PC] Courting is a serious business, not a game. If I intend to find the right person to share my life, it demands care and consideration. Is that what you mean by 'profit'?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.profit
 ++ ~[PC] I think both sides of that coin are available. The game is both fun and serious.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.game
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are being a little slow, Aran. I have already set my heart on someone, and it is not you.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] The question and answer session is over. Move along, nothing to talk about here.~ + c-aranshutup19
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.3
 SAY ~[ARAN] Fair enough. But have you ever thought o' lightenin' up a little, an' having some fun, tryin' th' courtin' game?~
 ++ ~[PC] I have not given it much thought.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.game
 ++ ~[PC] My idea of a really good time would be to have you stop speaking, and let me continue in silence.~ + c-aranshutup18
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are being a little slow, Aran. I have already set my heart on someone, and it is not you.~  + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] So you think love is a game. Interesting.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.game
 ++ ~[PC] I play games to win. I do not waste my time with what you call 'fun'.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.profit
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.4
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds right nice, it does. I like sittin' down in an older section o' a library, an' huntin' through as many illustrated manuscripts as time will allow me. Unfortunately, it sounds absolutely nothin' like what we are doin' here, trekkin' about an' fightin' over an' over again. But riddle me this - you ever think about sparkin'? Courtin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are getting too personal. Get your mind back on the job, Aran.~ + c-aranshutup18
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are being a little slow, Aran. I have already set my heart on someone, and it is not you.~  + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] I play games to win. I do not waste my time with what you call 'fun'.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.profit
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost. That part of my life is over, at least for now.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.over
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.5
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds right nice, it does. I like a good solid meal, both th' preparin' an' th' sharin'. There's few drinks I met I didn't like, too. Unfortunately, it sounds absolutely nothin' like what we are doin' here, trekkin' about an' fightin' over an' over again. But riddle me this - you ever think about sparkin'? Courtin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are getting too personal. Get your mind back on the job, Aran.~ + c-aranshutup20 
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost. That part of my life is over, at least for now.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.over
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.6
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, <CHARNAME>, come on wi' ye. Just humor me, eh? A little harmless fun, that's all I'm askin'. What do you like to do, when you don't have no crowd o' monsters tryin' to dog your every step?~
 ++ ~[PC] Apparently, your definition of 'monster dogging my step' is more restrictive than mine. For me, impertinent personal questions fall into 'dogging', and someone who cannot take a hint qualifies under 'monster'.~ + c-aranshutup17
 ++ ~[PC] Life so far has left me little time or inclination for courting.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.3
 ++ ~[PC] A quiet, warm, calm place, a good book, and something nice to drink.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.4
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, you know, the usual. Wine, song, feasts, a little more wine... ~ + c-aranbg2rom4.5
 ++ ~[PC] I like romance, Aran. Do you like courting?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.game
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.over
 SAY ~[ARAN] I'm right sorry, I am. You ever feel like talkin' about it, I'm your man for listenin'. You are lucky, though.~
 ++ ~[PC] Lucky is not the word I would chose.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.lucky
 ++ ~[PC] You do not know how wrong you are. Cease talking while you are ahead, Aran. This is too painful to talk about.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] Yes, I am lucky. I have found my soulmate, and nothing will keep us permanently separated. There is no room in my life for you, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.profit
 SAY ~[ARAN] I wasn't gettin' that serious, but since you brought it up, that sounds about right. The profit would be findin' someone what completes you, or makes life a bit more interestin' an' enjoyable. ~ 
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.over
 ++ ~[PC] You will find someone someday, I am sure.~  + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] So, you think you might be a profitable outcome? Or are you just seeing if I am up for a good time?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.noharm
 ++ ~[PC] Have you ever found that 'profit'?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.girl
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.girl
 SAY ~[ARAN] I keep findin' lots o' possible winnin' hands, but there's always a mite o' a problem here or there what throws th' game. I guess I just haven't found th' right partner yet.~
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.over
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds like a story, or stories. Come on, tell me a story, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.story
 ++ ~[PC] I think I can help you with your problem. When you seem to be interested in a woman, I see you do lots of talking, but absolutely no action...~ + c-aranbg2rom4.justtalk
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.story
 SAY ~[ARAN] That's for another time, I suspect. I don't rightly think I am goin' to get you sparkin' wi' sad tales o' lost loves. You'd need a real accomplished bard for that.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think is is just the right thing to spark my interest in you, Aran. I think you should tell me a story about your lost loves.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.challenge
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps, perhaps not... but somehow, I think if I actually expressed a serious interest in settling down with you, you might just run for the hills.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.chicken
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.lucky
 SAY ~[ARAN] I have been pokin' about an' playin' th' game for a mite bit o' time now, an' it seems like each time there's lots o' glitter, but no real payoff. You got someone who could be part o' you. I never did find my special someone.~
 ++ ~[PC] You do not want to.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] By all means find her, and have her rip out your soul as she moves beyond your reach. Then you will grow empty inside, and be able to concentrate on the things that matter, like power, or riches.~ + c-aranshutup19
 ++ ~[PC] Well do not look here for such 'luck', Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] Are you really a man of action, or do you just talk?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.justtalk
 ++ ~[PC] If I were wearing a flower, Aran, it would be in the other ear. You are definitely barking up the wrong tree.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.otherteam
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.game
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, well, I do like th' game. I know there's  mite o' trouble to be had, even when the person in question is displayin' a flower behind her ear. I never quite get which ear for which likin', either, which leads to some discomfort when th' lady in question prefers ladies. But it be a grand game, wi' nice stakes, good payoff, an' once in awhile there be a chance for somethin' pretty special.~
 ++ ~[PC] I have no desire to put myself under the thumb of any man.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.thumb
 ++ ~[PC] Well I do not like 'the game', as you call it. I expect people to treat me as more than a prize to be won.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.noharm
 ++ ~[PC] I play about, and I play hard. The question is, can you survive the game?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.challenge
 ++ ~[PC] If you are going to talk about romance, go have the conversation with someone else. I suspect your only want to annoy me.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.fin
 ++ ~[PC] Are you a man of action, or do you just talk your quarry into submission?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.justtalk
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.thumb
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, it weren't exactly a thumb I was thinkin' about...~
 ++ ~[PC] If that was a suggestion, you may find yourself very much in trouble, very quickly.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] Stop it. You know what I meant. My entire life has been spent being manipulated  first by my foster father, then by my brother, always by a dead god, and now we find by an insane kidnapper. I am trying to build myself some freedom, and nothing could ever taste sweeter than that.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] I see a good bit of talking, and absolutely no action...~ + c-aranbg2rom4.justtalk
 ++ ~[PC] Do tell. I would love for you to explain exactly what you mean by that comment.~  + c-aranbg2rom4.noharm
EMD

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.noharm
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, I wasn't meanin' no harm. I was just wonderin' if you liked to play about a bit in th' courtin' game, or if you took th' game serious, is all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Stop it. You know what I meant. My entire life has been spent being manipulated  first by my foster father, then by my brother, always by a dead god, and now we find by an insane kidnapper. I am trying to build myself some freedom, and nothing could ever taste sweeter than that.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] I play about, and I play hard. The question is, can you survive the game?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.challenge
 ++ ~[PC] I take the game seriously.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.challenge
 ++ ~[PC] I take the game seriously enough, Aran, thouh it is fun to play a bit, too. It is just *you* I do not take seriously.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.challenge
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds a mite like a challenge.~
 ++ ~[PC] Take it any way you want. Or don't take it at all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Let me guess - you are about to say you live for challenges.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.chicken
 ++ ~[PC] Let me ask you a question. Does using lines like "What's an interestin' girl like you do for fun, anyways" on pretty barmaids get you better service?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.fin
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, you just do not realize exactly how challenging I can be. Yet.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.justtalk
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, I get enough action. I'd show you, but I'm still not sure you're really interested, or just teasin' me.~
 ++ ~[PC] What do I have to do to say I'm interested... open my blouse and say 'let's go, big boy?'~ + c-aranbg2rom4.fin
 ++ ~[PC] Well this conversation has been fun, but you have gotten the wrong impression completely. I am really not interested in you that way, Aran.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.other
 ++ ~[PC] Just teasing. I prefer real men.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.chicken
 ++ ~[PC] Are you always this forward when you know very well there is absolutely no opportunity for privacy, thus no possibility of having to back up your bold words?~ + c-aranbg2rom4.chicken
 ++ ~[PC] Just teasing. I prefer women.~ + c-aranbg2rom4.otherteam
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.otherteam
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, Sune's Lusty Lips, why didn't you say somethin' before? Here I go all pesterin' you an' buggin' you, and you let me ramble on like a fool! Sorry, <CHARNAME>, I didn't mean no harm. I'll quit pesterin' you, an' stick to bein' friends.~
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~ <<ROMANCE_FULL_CUT>> ~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.chicken
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His face flushes crimson behind his smile) Seen right through me, eh? Well, true enough, I guess. Got carried away a bit, I did. Didn't mean no harm, there, just a little casual sparkin'.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.other
 SAY ~[ARAN] If you say so, <CHARNAME>. But I think I'll keep on tryin' to spark a little wi' ye. You are somethin' right special, you are, an' I'm not one to back down from a real challenge.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ c-aranbg2rom4.fin
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His eyes linger a bit below your chin, and a grin splits his face)~
 = ~[ARAN] Among other things...~ 
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

Your writing is simply inspiring. I really enjoy the fact that Aran doesn't seem to "fall head over heels in love" with the PC at first sight (correct me if I'm wrong) I was getting a little tired of that myself. :p

These lovetalks really give a different feel in the game and I think you really have <CHARNAME>s responses down pat. So kudos to you! Keep it up and P.S. you just made a fan here! :worship:

Well, thanks for the kind words!

I hope he ends up being pretty cool. It's fun to play with both code possibilities and dialog at the same time.

If it all works out right, he should be easy to flirt with and relatively hard to pin down permanently.

Rebuild and cleanup of LT 4,

/* ABBA - Name of the Game */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 4, c-aranbg2rom = 7  c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */

IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",7)~ THEN BEGIN a575
 SAY ~[ARAN] I wouldn't ordinarily mix business wi' pleasure, but it might not hurt to poke about a bit. What's an interestin' girl like you do for fun, anyways?~
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, many things. I like to sew, do bead work, craft little booties for my future children, sit in a rocking chair, and wait for my true prince to come and save me.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a576
 ++ ~[PC] I like to play games with rude sellsword's emotions until they are driven insane with desire, and then dump them.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a577
 ++ ~[PC] I find many things pleasurable. But I have not had any time to do much beyond survive, lately.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a578
 ++ ~[PC] A quiet, warm, calm place, a good book, and something nice to drink.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a579
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, you know, the usual. Wine, song, feasts, a little more wine... ~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a580
 ++ ~[PC] I think that is my own business, not yours.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",8) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a581
END

IF ~~ a576
 SAY ~[ARAN] They do say sarcasm is th' spice o' romance. You laid that one on a bit thick, though, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] Why, whatever do you mean, oh comely prince? Are you here to save me, carry me off, make hordes of children, and live happily ever after?~ + a590
 ++ ~[PC] Ask a silly question, get a sarcastic answer.~ + a581
 ++ ~[PC] You do not take hints easily, do you?~ + a581
 ++ ~[PC] Well, I guess I just thought that was too obvious a pick-up line.~ + a581
 ++ ~[PC] If I were wearing a flower, Aran, it would be in the other ear. You are definitely barking up the wrong tree.~ + a592
END

IF ~~ a577
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, so you play th' courtin' game for fun, instead o' for profit.~
 ++ ~[PC] If you mean do I enjoy flirting, absolutely. And if you mean am I hard to get into bed, extremely.~ + a587
 ++ ~[PC] If you mean do I enjoy flirting, absolutely. And if you mean am I hard to get into bed, you haven't seen the looks I have been giving you.~ + a587
 ++ ~[PC] Courting is a serious business, not a game. If I intend to find the right person to share my life, it demands care and consideration. Is that what you mean by 'profit'?~ + a583
 ++ ~[PC] I think both sides of that coin are available. The game is both fun and serious.~ + a587
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are being a little slow, Aran. I have already set my heart on someone, and it is not you.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] The question and answer session is over. Move along, nothing to talk about here.~ + c-aranshutup19
END

IF ~~ a578
 SAY ~[ARAN] Fair enough. But have you ever thought o' lightenin' up a little, an' having some fun, tryin' th' courtin' game?~
 ++ ~[PC] I have not given it much thought.~ + a587
 ++ ~[PC] My idea of a really good time would be to have you stop speaking, and let me continue in silence.~ + c-aranshutup18
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are being a little slow, Aran. I have already set my heart on someone, and it is not you.~  + a594
 ++ ~[PC] So you think love is a game. Interesting.~ + a587
 ++ ~[PC] I play games to win. I do not waste my time with what you call 'fun'.~ + a583
END

IF ~~ a579
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds right nice, it does. I like sittin' down in an older section o' a library, an' huntin' through as many illustrated manuscripts as time will allow me. Unfortunately, it sounds absolutely nothin' like what we are doin' here, trekkin' about an' fightin' over an' over again. But riddle me this - you ever think about sparkin'? Courtin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are getting too personal. Get your mind back on the job, Aran.~ + c-aranshutup18
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are being a little slow, Aran. I have already set my heart on someone, and it is not you.~  + a594
 ++ ~[PC] I play games to win. I do not waste my time with what you call 'fun'.~ + a583
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost. That part of my life is over, at least for now.~ + a582
END

IF ~~ a580
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds right nice, it does. I like a good solid meal, both th' preparin' an' th' sharin'. There's few drinks I met I didn't like, too. Unfortunately, it sounds absolutely nothin' like what we are doin' here, trekkin' about an' fightin' over an' over again. But riddle me this - you ever think about sparkin'? Courtin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are getting too personal. Get your mind back on the job, Aran.~ + c-aranshutup20
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost. That part of my life is over, at least for now.~ + a582
END

IF ~~ a581
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, <CHARNAME>, come on wi' ye. Just humor me, eh? A little harmless fun, that's all I'm askin'. What do you like to do, when you don't have no crowd o' monsters tryin' to dog your every step?~
 ++ ~[PC] Apparently, your definition of 'monster dogging my step' is more restrictive than mine. For me, impertinent personal questions fall into 'dogging', and someone who cannot take a hint qualifies under 'monster'.~ + c-aranshutup17
 ++ ~[PC] Life so far has left me little time or inclination for courting.~ + a578
 ++ ~[PC] A quiet, warm, calm place, a good book, and something nice to drink.~ + a579
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, you know, the usual. Wine, song, feasts, a little more wine... ~ + a580
 ++ ~[PC] I like romance, Aran. Do you like courting?~ + a587
END

IF ~~ a582
 SAY ~[ARAN] I'm right sorry, I am. You ever feel like talkin' about it, I'm your man for listenin'. You are lucky, though.~
 ++ ~[PC] Lucky is not the word I would chose.~ + a586
 ++ ~[PC] You do not know how wrong you are. Cease talking while you are ahead, Aran. This is too painful to talk about.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] Yes, I am lucky. I have found my soulmate, and nothing will keep us permanently separated. There is no room in my life for you, Aran.~ + a594
END

IF ~~ a583
 SAY ~[ARAN] I wasn't gettin' that serious, but since you brought it up, that sounds about right. The profit would be findin' someone what completes you, or makes life a bit more interestin' an' enjoyable. ~
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost.~ + a582
 ++ ~[PC] You will find someone someday, I am sure.~  + a594
 ++ ~[PC] So, you think you might be a profitable outcome? Or are you just seeing if I am up for a good time?~ + a589
 ++ ~[PC] Have you ever found that 'profit'?~ + a584
END

IF ~~ a584
 SAY ~[ARAN] I keep findin' lots o' possible winnin' hands, but there's always a mite o' a problem here or there what throws th' game. I guess I just haven't found th' right partner yet.~
 ++ ~[PC] I have courted, loved, and lost.~ + a582
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds like a story, or stories. Come on, tell me a story, Aran.~ + a585
 ++ ~[PC] I think I can help you with your problem. When you seem to be interested in a woman, I see you do lots of talking, but absolutely no action...~ + a591
END

IF ~~ a585
 SAY ~[ARAN] That's for another time, I suspect. I don't rightly think I am goin' to get you sparkin' wi' sad tales o' lost loves. You'd need a real accomplished bard for that.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think is is just the right thing to spark my interest in you, Aran. I think you should tell me a story about your lost loves.~ + a590
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps, perhaps not... but somehow, I think if I actually expressed a serious interest in settling down with you, you might just run for the hills.~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] Well, if you are anything at all, 'accomplished bard' does not spring to mind. But you started this, so go on - tell me a story of your lost loves.~ + a596
END

IF ~~ a586
 SAY ~[ARAN] I have been pokin' about an' playin' th' game for a mite bit o' time now, an' it seems like each time there's lots o' glitter, but no real payoff. You got someone who could be part o' you. I never did find my special someone.~
 ++ ~[PC] You do not want to.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] By all means find her, and have her rip out your soul as she moves beyond your reach. Then you will grow empty inside, and be able to concentrate on the things that matter, like power, or riches.~ + c-aranshutup19
 ++ ~[PC] Well do not look here for such 'luck', Aran.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] Are you really a man of action, or do you just talk?~ + a591
 ++ ~[PC] If I were wearing a flower, Aran, it would be in the other ear. You are definitely barking up the wrong tree.~ + a592
END

IF ~~ a587
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, well, I do like th' game. I know there's  mite o' trouble to be had, even when the person in question is displayin' a flower behind her ear. I never quite get which ear for which likin', either, which leads to some discomfort when th' lady in question prefers ladies. But it be a grand game, wi' nice stakes, good payoff, an' once in awhile there be a chance for somethin' pretty special.~
 ++ ~[PC] I have no desire to put myself under the thumb of any man.~ + a588
 ++ ~[PC] Well I do not like 'the game', as you call it. I expect people to treat me as more than a prize to be won.~ + a589
 ++ ~[PC] I play about, and I play hard. The question is, can you survive the game?~ + a590
 ++ ~[PC] If you are going to talk about romance, go have the conversation with someone else. I suspect your only want to annoy me.~ + a595
 ++ ~[PC] Are you a man of action, or do you just talk your quarry into submission?~ + a591
END

IF ~~ a588
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, it weren't exactly a thumb I was thinkin' about...~
 ++ ~[PC] If that was a suggestion, you may find yourself very much in trouble, very quickly.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] Stop it. You know what I meant. My entire life has been spent being manipulated, first by my foster father, then by my brother, always by a dead god, and now we find by an insane kidnapper. I am trying to build myself some freedom, and nothing could ever taste sweeter than that.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] I see a good bit of talking, and absolutely no action...~ + a591
 ++ ~[PC] Do tell. I would love for you to explain exactly what you mean by that comment.~  + a589
EMD

IF ~~ a589
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, I wasn't meanin' no harm. I was just wonderin' if you liked to play about a bit in th' courtin' game, or if you took th' game serious, is all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Stop it. You know what I meant. My entire life has been spent being manipulated, first by my foster father, then by my brother, always by a dead god, and now we find by an insane kidnapper. I am trying to build myself some freedom, and nothing could ever taste sweeter than that.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] I play about, and I play hard. The question is, can you survive the game?~ + a590
 ++ ~[PC] I take the game seriously.~ + a590
 ++ ~[PC] I take the game seriously enough, Aran, thouh it is fun to play a bit, too. It is just *you* I do not take seriously.~ + a594
END

IF ~~ a590
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds a mite like a challenge.~
 ++ ~[PC] Take it any way you want. Or don't take it at all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Let me guess - you are about to say you live for challenges.~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] Let me ask you a question. Does using lines like "What's an interestin' girl like you do for fun, anyways" on pretty barmaids get you better service?~ + a595
 ++ ~[PC] Oh, you just do not realize exactly how challenging I can be. Yet.~ + a594
END

IF ~~ a591
 SAY ~[ARAN] Oh, I get enough action. I'd show you, but I'm still not sure you're really interested, or just teasin' me.~
 ++ ~[PC] What do I have to do to say I'm interested... open my blouse and say 'let's go, big boy?'~ + a595
 ++ ~[PC] Well this conversation has been fun, but you have gotten the wrong impression completely. I am really not interested in you that way, Aran.~ + a594
 ++ ~[PC] Just teasing. I prefer real men.~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] Are you always this forward when you know very well there is absolutely no opportunity for privacy, thus no possibility of having to back up your bold words?~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] Just teasing. I prefer women.~ + a592
END

IF ~~ a592
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, Sune's Lusty Lips, why didn't you say somethin' before? Here I go all pesterin' you an' buggin' you, and you let me ramble on like a fool! Sorry, <CHARNAME>, I didn't mean no harm. I'll quit pesterin' you, an' stick to bein' friends.~
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a593
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His face flushes crimson behind his smile) Seen right through me, eh? Well, true enough, I guess. Got carried away a bit, I did. Didn't mean no harm, there, just a little casual sparkin'.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a594
 SAY ~[ARAN] If you say so, <CHARNAME>. But I think I'll keep on tryin' to spark a little wi' ye. You are somethin' right special, you are, an' I'm not one to back down from a real challenge.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a595
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His eyes linger a bit below your chin, and a grin splits his face)~
 = ~[ARAN] Among other things...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a596
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, there, <CHARNAME>, I done been travelin' wi' enought women to know that none o' you seem to want to hear about ex-girlfriends, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] So, because you have traveled with other women, you think you know what I want, and what I feel? I did not know that all of 'us women' were so alike.~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] Humor me.~ + a597
 ++ ~[PC] I will tell you about my girlfriends if you tell me about your girlfriends...~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] Well, that assumes that I am your girlfriend. In fact, it assumes that all women are your girlfriends. I think a large part of the population of Faerun might be a little surprised at that...~ + a593
 ++ ~[PC] I am not 'most women'. Come on, tell me a tragic love story. I want to hear one.~ + a597
END

IF ~~ a597
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, I did have a love up in Caer Callidyrr, on Alaron. She was somethin' very special, she was. We started in for a lark, but somehow, we just kept sparkin', an' we got right serious. She worked as seamstress, but her real love was fencin'. Didn't rightly matter if it were fencin' words, fencin' swords, or... well, she was right physical, she was. An' when she laughed...~
 ++ ~[PC] Are you crying?~ + a598
 ++ ~[PC] So, why are you two not together?~ + a599
 ++ ~[PC] Fascinating. You remember something besides lacing your boots. Perhaps, with training, you will remember your job, and only come when you are called.~ + c-aranshutup12
 ++ ~[PC] She sounds like she was very special to you.~ + a599  
END

IF ~~ a598
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hells, no. It were a bit o' grit what caught my eye, is all.~
 ++ ~[PC] So, why are you two not together?~ + a599
 ++ ~[PC] Fascinating. You remenber something besides lacing your boots. Perhaps, with training, you will remember your job, and only come when you are called.~ + c-aranshutup12
 ++ ~[PC] She sounds like she was very special to you.~ + a599 
END  

/* cliche, but if a player really wants to push into storytelling, why not have a tragic end to a competitor... with no loose ends */
IF ~~ a599
 SAY ~[ARAN] Talona's Tattoos, it were not meant to be. We were rightly happy, but th' Northmen raiders were not in on th' arrangement, so they done cut in. Kendrick had th' Axes marshalled for a raid on a firbolg clan what had decided to come callin', an' one o' th' longships decided they was goin' to take a risk an' raid in spite o' th' treaty. Probably though th' troop movements were an attempt to take back some land. An' me, I was with th' Axes, so Gwynneth came north to be a bit closer.~
 = ~[ARAN] She went down fightin', from all accounts. She didn't believe in spendin' spells to get back from death, sayin' that th' Earth Mother would keep her right close to her roots. I wish I had been on th' detachment what smashed th' raiders back. But a friend o' mine was, an' there were no Northmen bodies left unburned afterwards. It took th' heart right out o' me, though, for a while. I finished th' contract an' left th' place for good.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

Love Talk 5, rough draft

/* Billy Joel - You may be Right/We Didn't Start The Fire mixology */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 5, c-aranrombg2 = 1 c-aranromtimer,ARAN_LTT */

IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",9)~ THEN BEGIN a596
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, this is a mite bit more comfortable a camapaign than th' last one, I think.~
 + ~NumInPartyGT(4)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",10) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a597
 + ~NumInPartyLT(5) NumInPartyGT(2)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",10) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a598
 + ~!NumInPartyGT(2)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",10) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a599
END

IF ~~ a597
 SAY ~[ARAN] Wi' five or six o' us, it seems right small a group to tackle th' task. But somehow, I be more comfortable here then when th' whole battilion o' Moonshea Axes were settin' out together.~
 ++ ~[PC] Hmmm. I guess that means that you are planning to stick around for awhile? I thought you had a woman in every town on the Sword Coast, waiting for your return.~ + a600
 + ~GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)~ + ~[PC] Do not get complacent, Aran. I only need you until we rescue Imoen. After that, you will have to prove your worth.~ + a601
 + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)~ + ~[PC] Wait a minute... you are still here? I thought we were supposed to reevaluate the whole contract once we handled Imoen's situation.~ + a602
 ++ ~[PC] You are very useful. I suspect you can even be trained to be entertaining.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] I am pretty comfortable with having you around, too.~ + a604
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps I can make you even more comfortable with travelling with me.~ + a605
 + ~Global("BodhiAppear","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] That makes one of us who is comfortable. Especially since it appears I need to trust either thieves or a shadowy figure who frequents graveyards...~ + a606
END

IF ~~ a598
 SAY ~[ARAN] We have only a few o' us, not even a full compliment o' five or six, which seems right small a group to tackle th' task. But somehow, I be more comfortable here then when th' whole battilion o' Moonshea Axes were settin' out together.~
 ++ ~[PC] Hmmm. I guess that means that you are planning to stick around for awhile? I thought you had a woman in every town on the Sword Coast, waiting for your return.~ + a600
 + ~GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)~ + ~[PC] Do not get complacent. I only need you until we rescue Imoen. After that, you will have to prove your worth.~ + a601
 + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)~ + ~[PC] Wait a minute... you are still here? I thought we were supposed to reevaluate the whole contract once we handled Imoen's situation.~ + a602
 ++ ~[PC] You are very useful. I suspect you can even be trained to be entertaining.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps I can make you even more comfortable with travelling with me.~ + a605
 + ~Global("BodhiAppear","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] That makes one of us who is feeling comfortable about anything. Especially since it appears I need to trust either thieves or a shadowy figure who frequents graveyards.~ + a605
END

IF ~~ a599
 SAY ~[ARAN] Only th' two o' us, against what seems like th' whole of Faerun. But somehow, I be more comfortable here then when th' whole battilion o' Moonshea Axes were settin' out together.~
 + ~GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)~ + ~[PC] Do not get complacent. I only need you until we rescue Imoen. After that, you will have to prove your worth.~ + a601
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps I can make you even more comfortable with travelling with me.~ + a604
 + ~Global("BodhiAppear","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] That makes one of us who is feeling comfortable about anything. Especially since it appears I need to trust either thieves or a shadowy figure who frequents graveyards.~ + a605
END

IF ~~ a600
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, that be a mite bit o' exaggeration, eh? Besides, I done found th' woman what interests me greatly, an' she is right close by.~
 ++ ~[PC] You are very useful, Aran. I suspect you can even be trained to be entertaining.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] I think... well, that is flattering, but...~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] Wearing your heart on your sleeve? Who is the lucky woman?~ + a613 
 ++ ~[PC] Introduce me, so that I can destroy *cough* err... study my competition.~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] Is that enough? I mean, is a potential for love enough to keep both of us from falling apart, when so much around us is going wrong? How can we actually get close to each other?~ + a606
END

IF ~~ a601
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would be right happy to prove my worth, <CHARNAME>, if I have not already.~
 ++ ~[PC] You are very useful, Aran. I suspect you can even be trained to be entertaining.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] What would you say if I told you that you were a burden, Aran? If I told you that your attentions bore me?~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Well, then, prove it. (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
 ++ ~[PC] I know you want me, Aran. But the thought of a relationship is frightening. How can we actually get close to each other, when so much is going wrong around us?~ + a606
END

IF ~~ a602
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sure enough. I did a right solid tactical evaluation for you right after we we cleared that mess up, an' decided you can't rightly live wi' me not around.~
 ++ ~[PC] That was very kind of you.~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps that had less to do with the tactics of the situation, and more to do with your desires.~ + a613 
 ++ ~[PC] Tactics, my bottom. Actually, I think you are hanging around to get more glances at the second part of that phrase.~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] I know you want me, Aran. But the thought of a relationship is frightening. How can we actually get close to each other, when so much is going wrong around us?~ + a606
END

IF ~~ a603
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would be naught but happy to prove entertainin', <CHARNAME>. After all, it be right kind o' you to keep me on, when there be so many others what could be assistin' you in all this.~
 ++ ~[PC] You do a good job of amusing me. It does not have to include a formal romance.~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] That is what is confusing me. I am not sure about all of this. Please do not make me choose only one person, or one plan. There is too much going on right now.~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] Well, then, prove it. (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
 ++ ~[PC] You do not really amuse me. But I suppose it does no harm to have you worship me. Now, go carry my gear.~ +  a394 
 /* yes, a394 is correct -  "Aye, you be a woman after my own heart. Cheers." Inference is a rude gesture, but people can read it how they like for the characters involved, of course.*/
END

IF ~~ a604
 SAY ~[ARAN] Enough to give some thought to some spoonin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] 'Spooning'? What is that?~ + a606
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you cannot take a hint. I do not want this attention, Aran. I have my love, and he has me. Stop talking to me like this.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Comfortable enough to know that you are too good a friend to risk romantic attachments.~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
END

IF ~~ a605
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, that be no matter. Just don't trust 'em. There be few employers what can be trusted, on account o' they have their own agendas, not yours, eh? I be right surprised that you trust me.~
 ++ ~[PC] I trust you enough to know that you are too good a friend to risk romantic attachments.~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] I am not sure I can trust myself, let alone you. Please do not make me choose only one person, or one plan. There is too much going on right now.~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] You really, really talk too much. (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
END

IF ~~ a606
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, two spoons in a drawer, they nestle up close, an' then...~
 ++ ~[PC] Stop right there. No 'spooning' on the job, Aran. In fact, none on or off the job.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Stop right there. No 'spooning' on the job, Aran. Now, perhaps later you could show me how that all works, when we settle in for the night.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Like this? How does my back pressing into your chest and my head falling on your shoulder make you feel?~ + a616

/* G3 Angelo "ADANGEL" */ 
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Angelo, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608

/* BioWare(tm) Anomen "Anomen" */ 
 + ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Anomen, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608

/* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Edwin, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608

/* G3 Gavin in the Future Tense "B!Gavin" */
 + ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Gavin, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607

/* PPG Kelsey "J#Kelsey" */ 
 + ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Kelsey, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607

/* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Kivan, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607

/* WeiDU.org Solaufein "SOLA" or "SOLAUFEIN" */
 + ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Solaufein, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608

/* CoM Tsujatha "TSUJATH" */ 
 + ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Tsjuatha, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608

/* Valygar from C.Romantique (unhosted) "Valygar" | SHS/BWL TS Valygar "Valygar" | G3 RE Valygar "valygar" */ 
 + ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Valygar, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607

/* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Xan, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607

END

IF ~~ a607
 SAY ~[ARAN] I don't rightly care what he thinks, though he can be a good companion. All I care about is what you think. An' how you make me feel.~
 ++ ~[PC] How do I make you feel?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] Well, in that case, how does me nestling up in your arms like this make you feel?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you are easy to manipulate. I can have you, or drop you, at my whim. It has been fun, but I do not want you any more. Get on with your job, sellsword.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranshutup1
 ++ ~[PC] Talk is a waste of energy. How does this make you feel? (Draw his lips down to yours and kiss him.)~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] I am not sure about all of this. I like you, and I like him. Please do not make me choose between you.~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] You both are useful, in your own way. I will not choose between you. I deserve more attention than one person can give.~ + a610
END

IF ~~ a608
 SAY ~[ARAN] I don't give a rat's arse for what that soddin' bastard thinks, right good companion or not. All I care about is what you think. An' how you make me feel.~
 ++ ~[PC] Well, in that case, how does me nestling up in your arms like this make you feel?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you cannot take a hint. I do not want this attention, Aran. Stop talking to me like this.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranshutup1
 ++ ~[PC] Talk is a waste of energy. How does this make you feel? (Draw his lips down to yours and kiss him.)~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] I am not sure about all of this. I like you, and I like him. Please do not make me choose between you.~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] You both are useful, in your own way. I will not choose between you. I deserve more attention than one person can give.~ + a610
END

IF ~~ a610
 SAY ~[ARAN] There be no need to choose, on my account. I do not hold you slave, though I suspect my heart be enslaved right proper.~
 ++ ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'I choose you'?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'I am not ready for a committed relationship with you'?~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'I do not want to have you pursue me any more'?~ + a615 
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Angelo?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Anomen?~ + a615

/* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Edwin?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Gavin?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Kelsey?~ + a615

/* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Kivan?~ + a615

+ ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Solaufein?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Tsjuatha?~ + a615

/* Valygar from C.Romantique (unhosted) "Valygar" | SHS/BWL TS Valygar "Valygar" | G3 RE Valygar "valygar" */ 
 + ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Valygar?~ + a615

/* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Xan'?~ + a615
END

IF ~~ a611
 SAY ~[ARAN] I understand that right clear. No deep committments. But what about wild kissin', me tearin' th' clothes from your body, an' havin' a long tumble? No strings, no contract, just two close companions explorin' each other?~
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you cannot take a hint. I do not want this attention, Aran. Stop talking to me like this.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranshutup1
 ++ ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'yes'?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'no'?~ + a615 
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Angelo'?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no', I prefer Anomen'?~ + a615

/* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Edwin'?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Gavin'?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Kelsey'?~ + a615

/* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Kivan'?~ + a615

+ ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Solaufein'?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Tsjuatha'?~ + a615

+ ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Valygar'?~ + a615

/* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'no, I prefer Xan'?~ + a615
 ++ ~[PC] Big talk. Do it. (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
END

IF ~~ a613
 SAY ~[ARAN] You hold th' contract, I know. But it be right kind o' you to keep me on, when there be so many others what could be assistin' you in all this.~
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you cannot take a hint. Stop talking to me like this. The only contract I have is for your sword. The metal one.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranshutup1
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want any others. I want you.~ + a604
 ++ ~[PC] I want you to want me, Aran. But events seems unwilling to leave me alone. How can I choose between love and destiny?~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] Well, you are here, and they are not. How does that make you feel?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'I do not want to have you pursue me any more'?~ + a615
END

IF ~~ a614
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His arms encircle you, lips crushed to yours, hot and soft.)~
 ++ ~[PC] Much better. What would you do if I said 'I do not want to have you pursue me any more'?~ + a615
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'no', but did this... (Slip your hands down the front of his armor, holding him close.)~ + a617 
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Angelo, there will be trouble.~ + a607

+ ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Anomen, there will be trouble.~ + a608

/* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Edwin, there will be trouble.~ + a608

+ ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Gavin, there will be trouble.~ + a607

+ ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Kelsey, there will be trouble.~ + a607

/* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Kivan, there will be trouble.~ + a607

+ ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Solaufein, there will be trouble.~ + a608

+ ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Tsjuatha, there will be trouble.~ + a608

+ ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Valygar, there will be trouble.~ + a607

/* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Xan, there will be trouble.~ + a607

++ ~[PC] Now, what if I told you that I want you to make love to me? How would that make you feel?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] Now, what if I told you that I want you to marry me, and stay with me forever and all eternity, until the stars fall from the sky?~ + a617
END

IF ~~ a615
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would be right sorry, an' respect that you feel that way right now. But I am not known to be anythin' but stubborn, an' I know my own interests. I will be right here, on your shield arm, hopin' you change your mind.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a616
 SAY ~[ARAN] Alive.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a617
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would say by th' gods an' goddesses, you vixen, you be teasin' me somethin' fierce.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

:p I love it. One typo I noticed:

IF ~~ a602
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sure enough. I did a right solid tactical evaluation for you right after we we cleared that mess up, an' decided you can't rightly live wi' me not around.~

Two we's...and why does that make me giggle? ???

One other thing:

++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'no', but did this... (Slip your hands down the front of his armor, holding him close.)~ + a617

It could be just me, but this line just rings weird. It gives me a very strange visual that I probably couldn't describe if I tried. Maybe "Slide" instead of "Slip"? Eh, it's just a suggestion because my own imagination freaked me out.

I love it, especially where you vary his reaction dependent on his feelings towards each particular NPC. Made me grin.

Just a few typos to note:

++ ~[PC] I take the game seriously enough, Aran, thouh it is fun to play a bit, too. It is just *you* I do not take seriously.~ + a594
++ ~[PC] If you are going to talk about romance, go have the conversation with someone else. I suspect your only want to annoy me.~ + a595

OK, next rough draft up before I go back and revisit the above post.

/* ABBA - Take A Chance On Me: */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 6,  c-aranrombg2 = 9 c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */
IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",11)~ THEN BEGIN a618
SAY ~[ARAN] So, <CHARNAME>, what was it like growin' up in a place where books ruled all?~
++ ~[PC] Books did not rule Candlekeep. People did.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a619
++ ~[PC] Boring.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a619
++ ~[PC] It was nice enough.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a619
+ ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] The best thing you could do for me right now is to focus on what you are doing, and stop talking.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup12
+ ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] How can we get anything accomplished when you keep interrupting our travels with meaningless talk?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup15
+ ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Aran, if you say another word, I will have your head removed from your shoulders. Not that it would change things much for you.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup17
 ++ ~[PC] Why does everyone ask me for my life's story? ~ + a620
 ++ ~[PC] I suspect you already know, but I know only a little of your life. Tell me something about how you grew up.~ + a640
END

IF ~~ a619
 SAY ~[ARAN] Right, then. My mistake for bein' so short on th' question. I should have asked it better. I was just thinkin' you must have been quite somethin', even way back then.~
 ++ ~[PC] Are you implying that I am old?~ + a627
 ++ ~[PC] I was nothing special.~ + a633
 ++ ~[PC] I was treated as if I were special.~ + a635
 ++ ~[PC] There was never any doubt that I was destined for greatness.~ + a635
 ++ ~[PC] Why are you asking about my past? You are smart enough to have done some research, and kept your ears open. You should know a great deal about my past by now.~ + a620
END

IF ~~ a620
 SAY ~[ARAN] To get closer to you, I wager. You are a mite bit interestin', you know. But I will admit, I was askin' out o' a different motivation.~
 ++ ~[PC] You do really not care about my childhood?~ + a623
 ++ ~[PC] Do you think that sharing stories of my childhood will bring us closer together?~ + a621
 ++ ~[PC] I really do not care what your motivations are, as long as we get to do this... (Kiss him gently on the lips.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] I really do not care what your motivations are, as long as we get to do this... (Grab him by the collar, slam your body against his chest, and attack him with a kiss.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want most people to get closer to me.~ + a635
END

IF ~~ a621
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, that rightly depends on whether we be talkin' to talk together, an' share, or if we be analyzin' the responses to gather information an' judge. Which do we be doin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think that actions are much more important than words. Why talk, when you can act?~ + a622
 ++ ~[PC] Judging. You seem to like me, and I might be interested in you, but information is the way to tell if things will work out.~ + a623
 ++ ~[PC] Sharing, of course. A friendship is sharing. And if we were to want anything more, it is very important.~ + a640
 ++ ~[PC] Neither. We are just passing the time, Aran. You know I cannot be tied into a deep relationship right now.~ + a622
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to have a deep discussion right now. Let's talk about this another time, and get back to work.~ + c-aranshutup1
END

IF ~~ a622
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, there, I am all in favor o' more sparkin'! I just... well, you are not like any other woman I have been attracted to, is all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps that is because I like to skip all the talking and just do this... (Kiss him gently on the lips.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps that is because I like to skip all the talking and just do this... (Grab him by the collar, slam your body against his chest, and attack him with a kiss.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps it is because you know I already have found someone else, and you can never truly have all of me. Perhaps having a meaningless physical fling excites you.~ + a594 // state a594 = If you say so, <CHARNAME>
 ++ ~[PC] There is no other way to put this, Aran... we are not going to be sparking any time soon. I have found someone else.~ + a594 // state a594 = If you say so, <CHARNAME>
 ++ ~[PC] You are not quite like any other man I have seen, either. Why do you want to talk? ~ + a637
END

IF ~~ a623
 SAY ~[ARAN] Let me ask you a question. Did Gorion abuse you an' hurt you?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] Of course not.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] He was never strong enough.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] That is none of your business.~ + a624
END

IF ~~ a624
 SAY ~[ARAN] Did you always study hard an' do as you were told?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] Of course not.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] He was never strong enough to make me.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] That is none of your business. You are starting to annoy me.~ + a625
END

IF ~~ a625
 SAY ~[ARAN] Did you have many friends what comforted an' surrounded you?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. Is there a point to these questions?~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] No. Get to the point.~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] Of course not. Get to the point.~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] I was powerful enough to make them follow me. Get to the point.~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] That is none of your business, and I am done answering any more of these questions.~ + a626
END

IF ~~ a626
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, I done asked you a bunch o' questions about your past. But those questions, they tell naught o' the woman what I am travelin' with now. People change, an' things change. We grow up, we face life on our own terms, an' we move on, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] So this was a long way of saying that you were wasting my time?~ + a658
 ++ ~[PC] I do not agree. I want to know about your family, to judge what matters to you. Perhaps even see how you might treat me in the future. People do not change as much as you think.~ + a659
 ++ ~[PC] By your logic, my past is not part of the present. So why think about it at all? You started this conversation, not me.~ + a660  
 ++ ~[PC] The gods do not allow things to change for me. I have been haunted, hunted, and harried ever since Candlekeep.~ + a661
END

IF ~~ a627
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sune's Lusty Lips, no! You done misinterpreted that right proper! You are young, an' vibrant, an' beautiful...~
 ++ ~[PC] I am not beautiful. I certainly do not feel beautiful.~ + a629
 ++ ~[PC] Much better. Go on... you were saying young, vibrant, beautiful...~ + a630
 ++ ~[PC] Right. Great line for the bar. Use your eyes. I am filthy, scarred, exhausted, have big dark shadows under my eyes, smell like the remains of several dead things, and I think I just broke a fingernail.~ + a628
 ++ ~[PC] You are so silly. I was teasing you. ~ + a628
 ++ ~[PC] And you are handsome, winsome, strong, and you even cook. Togther, we make a perfect pair. ~ + a628
END

IF ~~ a628
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, you can take it from me. I done travelled from Caer Callidyrr to Calimport, from th' Spine o' th' World to close to th' edge o' Rasheman. I keep an eye out for th' ladies, too, an' I never saw no one as beautiful as you.~
 ++ ~[PC] (Blush) Now you are being silly. (Look at the ground and scuff one foot.)~ + a630
 ++ ~[PC] Now you are being silly. By any objective measure, I am not beautiful.~ + a631
 ++ ~[PC] You have good taste, and a honeyed tongue. But flattery will get you nowhere. I prefer actions to words.~ + a622
 ++ ~[PC] Flattery will get you everywhere.~ + a622
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] I thought you said you once had a true love in Caer Callidyrr. Was she as beautiful as I am?~ + a629
END

IF ~~ a629
 SAY ~[ARAN] There be beauty, an' then there be beauty. I have had a fair number o' encounters wi' people who look right fine on th' inside, but not out. More that look easy on th' eyes, but be as ugly as Talos' Talons on th' inside.~
 ++ ~[PC] Beautiful or ugly is a meaningless distinction. The only meaningful contrast is useful and not useful.~ + a657
 ++ ~[PC] What makes me beautiful?~ + a632
 ++ ~[PC] You have certainly spent enough time looking at my outsides, and unfortuntely we have had enough combat to show you my insides. If you want to call me beautiful, though, you should be more specific.~ + a632
 ++ ~[PC] Inside or outside, beautiful or not beautiful, none of that matters. But I am glad you like me.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] None of this matters. What is important is that you realize that I am the most important thing in your life.~ EXIT
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] You are ducking the question. Was she as beautiful as I am?~ + a663
END

IF ~~ a630
 SAY ~[ARAN] An' you be so modest, too. But Prism himself could not be capturin' all o' your effect. O' course, sculptors like him, they only work wi' the outer shell.~
 ++ ~[PC] I thought Prism was dead.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranprism","LOCALS",1)~ + a634
 ++ ~[PC] Who is Prism?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranprism","LOCALS",1)~ + a634
 ++ ~[PC] I met that sculptor once.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranprism","LOCALS",1)~ + a634
END

IF ~~ a631
 SAY ~[ARAN] What in th' nine hells is this 'objective measure', eh? In Calimport, wearin' veils an' gettin' plump marks beauty. In th' Isles, long curly red hair an' slim ankles marks it. An' I suspect there be a place on Toril where havin' both ears stretched out long an' pokin' up over your head marks th' finest looks. So I stick wi' the simple choice, an' decide it for myself.~
 ++ ~[PC] So what makes me beautiful to you, Aran?~ + a632
 ++ ~[PC] Talk all you want. I know a load of garbage when I hear it. Nice garbage, but garbage nonetheless.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are beautiful too, Aran. I just do not see what attracts you to me.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("c-aranpc_nsc","LOCALS",1)~ + a632 // Idea - track low self esteem answers for an independent talk? Hmmm.
 ++ ~[PC] Are you purposely trying to annoy me, Aran?~ + a658
 ++ ~[PC] Ah-ha! I have found the best way of attracting your many attentions. I shall get a potion of polymorph, and become a bunny rabbit!~ + a661
END

IF ~~ a632
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, if I was to choose one thing, it would be your eyes. Sometimes they be right bright, an' sharp. Sometimes they be deep an' far away. Sometimes they be as warm as th' sun, sometimes as cool an' misty as Selune shinin' through the night. But when you look at me, they always make me feel somethin' deep inside.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think that feeling is your last batch of curry, working its revenge.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I do not like my eyes. I see too many horrible things with them. ~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I like my eyes. But I like some of my other attributes as well. Don't you? (Spin slowly, showing your legs and body to advantage.)~ + a662
 ++ ~[PC] That is sweet, Aran. What are my eyes saying now?~ + a664
END

IF ~~ a633
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bollux. We all be ugly duckin's when just startin' out, but you have somethin' what sets you apart. I do not rightly see how you could avoid showin' it.~
 ++ ~[PC] I became very good at hiding.~ + a637
 ++ ~[PC] I was strong enough to keep most unwanted attention away.~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] Gorion was the only one who saw anything special in me. And perhaps Imoen.~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] I was hideous then, and things have not gotten much better. Why do you pretend that I am anything but a monster?~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] I managed. But how did you cope with all the changes growing up?~ + a654
END

IF ~~ a634
 SAY ~[ARAN] He might have been dead awhile ago, but he got better. Saw him workin' a commission in Trademeet nigh on half a season ago. Th' wonders o' havin' an agent, eh? They say th' sly bastard who ran his gallery stuck a clause in th' contract what never indicated a termination time, so th' agent just raised Prism an' set him back to work. That's why I always toss a stipulation what says contracts terminate on death, an' don't rightly hold effect even if th' contractee raises the contractor. Got that idea from one o' them slick Trademeet Costers. O' course, I had to learn it th' hard way.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a629
END

IF ~~ a635
 SAY ~[ARAN] Somehow, I can believe that. We all be ugly duckin's when just startin' out, but you have somethin' that sets you apart. I do not rightly see how you could avoid it showin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] I became very good at hiding from any but the closest of friends.~ + a637
 ++ ~[PC] Gorion was the only one who saw anything truly special in me. And perhaps Imoen.~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] All of that was a mistake. I was hideous then, and things have not gotten much better. Why do you pretend that I am anything but a monster?~ a660
 ++ ~[PC] I managed to avoid being spoiled. But how did you cope with all the changes growing up?~ + a654
 ++ ~[PC] I was never an ugly duckling. Are you trying to annoy me?~ + a658
END

IF ~~ a636
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His strong hands grip your waist and pull you tightly to him.) Tempus' Tribute, you cut right to th' chase, don't you. So you want none o' th' talk? I thought you might want to share some stories, an' get right close an' all. Emotionally, I mean.~
 ++ ~[PC] I only want one thing from you, Whitehand, and it is most definitely south of your mouth. Though I have some ideas about that mouth, too...~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Of course I do. But I want you to talk with your body, not words.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps later. Or perhaps never. Or perhaps in a few minutes. But right now, just shut up and kiss me.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Well, I guess we can talk. But when did you decide to get in touch with your emotional side?~ + a638
END

IF ~~ a637
 SAY ~[ARAN] I thought you might want to share some stories, an' get right close an' all. Emotionally, I mean.~
 ++ ~[PC] I only want one thing from you, Whitehand, and it is most definitely south of your mouth. Though I have some ideas about that mouth, too...~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Of course I do. But I want you to talk with your body, not words.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps later. Or perhaps never. Or perhaps in a few minutes. But right now, just shut up and kiss me.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Well, I guess we can talk. But when did you decide to get in touch with your emotional side?~ + a638
END

IF ~~ a638
 SAY ~[ARAN] I am not quite sure. It has not come up often in my life, an' that be a fact. Might be I am doin' a bit o' changin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] Well, do not change too much. I kind of like you the way you are.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Change is good. We should start with getting you a decent grammar tutor, and perhaps a vocal coach.~ EXIT
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] It has come up at least once before, hasn't it? I thought you said you once had a true love in Caer Callidyrr.~ + a639
 ++ ~[PC] Are you purposely trying to annoy me, Aran? Some things never change. You know that.~ + a658
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] It would not be the first time you made big changes. You told me about deciding that the Fist was the wrong path for you.~ + a641
END

IF ~~ a639
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, <CHARNAME>, I did. But Gwynneth, she... well, it was a different time, an' a whole different relationship. Mayhap we were too young. Mayhap we had all th' fire, but not a real reserve o' fuel, eh? I never rightly considered that th' whole love thing might be a bit o' work. It never says that in bard's tales an' such. Mayhap there is no livin' happily after, without a mite bit o' change.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a640
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds fine wi' me. An' we got plenty to share, on account o' we had such different ways growin' up. I mean, you bein' stuck in Candlekeep an' me bein' always on th' road from market to market.~
 ++ ~[PC] I was not completey shut off from the world. I could read some of the most detailed writings ever written about places too far away for even the most seasoned traveller to reach.~ + a641
 ++ ~[PC] So you did not stay in any one place for long?~ + a642
 ++ ~[PC] Sometimes I wish I could go back and be 'stuck' in Candlekeep. It would be nice to turn back time.~ + a655
END

IF ~~ a641
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, while I was bumpin' along tryin' to learn to read an' figure up accounts, you had th' world at your fingertips, so to speak.~
 ++ ~[PC] Reading does not replace experiencing things for yourself. But it did mean I had time to train. Did you ever stay in one place?~ + a642
 ++ ~[PC] Reading is a safe replacement for experiencing things for yourself. It also gave me time to train. Did you ever stay in one place?~ + a642
 ++ ~[PC] Sometimes I wish I could go back, reading about the world instead of having it constantly try to smash me flat. It would be nice to turn back time.~ + a655
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] I do not want to talk about Candlekeep. Hey, you never told me about deciding to leave the Fist. Why did you leave?~ + a643
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] You have already told me about deciding to leave the Fist. All of your work seems to be short term contracts. Do you think that will ever change?~ + a656
END

IF ~~ a642
 SAY ~[ARAN] No time to stay long anywhere. A Coster wagon, especially an independent one, goes where the market leads. An' when I struck out on my own, well, there has not been much in th' way o' things to keep me in one place long.~
 ++ ~[PC] I was not completey shut off from the world. I could read some of the most detailed writings ever written about places too far away for even the most seasoned traveller to reach.~ + a641
 ++ ~[PC] How did you learn to cope with all of the changes?~ + a654
 ++ ~[PC] Sometimes I wish I could go back and be 'stuck' in Candlekeep. It would be nice to turn back time.~ + a655
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] You never told me about deciding to leave the Fist. Why did you leave?~ + a643
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] You have already told me about deciding to leave the Fist. All of your work seems to be short term contracts. Do you think that will ever change?~ + a656
END

// a643 is a chain, drafted into duty as general backstory and linked to friend and love talks.

/* a643 is a chain, drafted into duty as general backstory and linked to friend and love talks. */ 
CHAIN ~~ a643
~[ARAN] I came out o Moonshea wi' a fair amount o' experience, an' a decent respect for th' mercenary life. I wanted shut o' th' Axes, anyways, an' a friend mentioned there were some right heavy troop deployments on the border wi' Amn. So, I went an' signed up for th' highest pay I could. Just in time for a series o' pitched battles against th' Chill an' them Iron Throne bastards, though we didn't rightly know who it was reinforcin' them at th' time. I served my battles, an' some police duty, an' I developed decent respect for th' Flamin' Fist.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~InParty("adangel")~ THEN ~[ARAN] But things got a mite bit awkward. You done talked to Dosan on this, I am right sure, an' from both your an' his perspectives it was a mite more than awkward, eh?~
== ~C-ARANJ~ IF ~!InParty("adangel")~ THEN ~[ARAN] But things got a mite bit awkward. Strange orders, an' stranger countermands, an' then a big reorganization up top somewhere.~
== ~C-ARANJ~ ~[ARAN] So a bunch o' us decided we needed a transfer south.~
EXTERN ~C-ARANJ~ a644

IF ~~ a644
 SAY ~[ARAN] We ended up down in Nashkel, guardin' some mines what had been restored. Only one thing more borin' than guardin' a successful mine - watchin' grass grow. Rather than go stark ravin' mad, I mustered out an' headed south again.~
 ++ ~[PC] What was driving you mad?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a645
 ++ ~[PC] So you prefer to move on rather than settle down.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a648
 + ~GlobalLT("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",11)~ + ~[PC] Do you always answer everything this completely?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a646
 + ~GlobalGT("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",10)~ + ~[PC] Do you always answer everything this completely?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a647
END

IF ~~ a645
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, for one thing, th' cook was jealous o' his job, an' unfortunately was about as skilled as a brace o' gibberlings. You can tolerate boredom, but boredom an' indigestion?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a646
 SAY ~[ARAN] That depends on how much someone be willin' to pay to make me shut up!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a647
 SAY ~[ARAN] You bloody well know I do, <CHARNAME>!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

/* Moonshe Service SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1) from a643 */
IF ~~ a648
 SAY ~[ARAN] I served Moonshea for three campaigns, an' for years an' years in th' family Coster. When I find the right group o' companions, I stick solid.~
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a650
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a651
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a652
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a653
 IF ~OR(2) Global("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",1)~ GOTO a649 
END

IF ~~ a649
 SAY ~[ARAN] In this case, I think you be most o' th' attraction, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a650
 SAY ~[ARAN] Corellon's Bow, I could not be happier. Except we do not rightly get enough time carousin'. O' course, do there ever be enough carousin'?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a651
 SAY ~[ARAN] Selune's Sword, aye. I be backin' you, right? How can I go wrong?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a652
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, it be a right tough group. Not th' nicest, but then again, I be takin' 'effective' over 'nice' any tenday.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a653
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, not always, that be sure. But I figure I am in for th' duration wi' you. I want to avoid bein' on th' wrong side o' your campaign, eh? Folks what are not on your side turn up dead right quick. Or worse, slow an' painful.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a654
 SAY ~[ARAN] I learned right quick, I did. Coster, Company, or colleagues; rowin' short haul on a galley or workn' outrider on a caravan; Calimport or Targus. It has naught to do wi' where you are, only who you are with, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a655
 SAY ~[ARAN] Perhaps. But then when time rolled on forward, it might not take exactly th' same path, an' I might never get no chance what to meet you. Now that would be a cryin' shame, that would.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a656
 SAY ~[ARAN] Things might change. Th' gods an' goddesses cast wide nets an' tweak th' course o' events, for sure. An' Fate, she be a right harsh mistress. But th' only things in life what can't be changed are death an' taxes. = ~[ARAN] Hold on... we got ourselves right fine spells for th' death thing, an' if you keep movin' they may never catch up wi' you to make you pay, so that means there be nothin' what can't be changed at least a little!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a657
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, there be some truth there. On th' other hand, is there naught of usefulness in bein' beautiful? It seems to work right well for you.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a658
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sort of. If I annoy you just a little, your eyes flash, an' send a quick sparkle what makes my heart jump. Plus, I was really askin' on account o' I just want to hear your voice.~
 ++ ~[PC] Men.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Boys.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] That is otyugh feed. Our past shapes us and guides us. An oak tree does not become a maple tree. Information is power.~ + a659
 ++ ~[PC] Well, listen carefully to my voice, Aran. Next time, do not ask me about my past. Instead, tell me how you will be a part of my future.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Remind me to randomly accost you with general questions about your upbringing in order to waste your time and annoy you.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a659
 SAY ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>, I'd think careful on that. In tree terms, you went from bein' a cute little maple tree to bein' a dangerous thunderstorm. In Faerun, there be no end to the possibilities for change, eh? There might even be a chance for me to settle down. Stranger things have happened. In fact, stranger things have happened to us within the last tenday.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a660
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, I just can not get rid o' my mind's picture image o' a cute little you, all shiny-haired an' starry-eyed, laughin' an' runnin' around all innocent an' free outside th' Library. It seems a right fine picture.~
 ++ ~[PC] Men.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Boys.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I would tell you it was just like that, but I would be lying through my teeth.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Add a few romps in the hayloft with a playmate or two, some minor thievery, and perhaps a few practical jokes, and you just described Imoen.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I think your last curry has won the battle, and addled your brain, you silly goof.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I will have to see about getting you more focused in reality, Aran. You will be useless to me if these kind of tiresome thoughts keep intruding.~ EXIT  
END

IF ~~ a661
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, just make sure you include a mite bit o' that there rabbit-like sex drive, an' I will see right past those ears, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a662
 SAY ~[ARAN] 'Attributes', eh? Is that what they be callin' 'em these days? I always thought they called 'em breasts.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a663
 SAY ~[ARAN] I guess you done caught me. That is a mite bit tough a question to ask, you know. Can I talk about somethin' less dangerous?~
 ++ ~[PC]No. I thought you said you loved her.~ + a658
END

IF ~~ a663
 SAY ~[ARAN] I have no idea, but I think somethin' behind me just caught fire!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

Yes, I like your idea for the low-self-esteem counter! I've never really seen any attention paid to those responses, aside from a quick "I'm ugly" "no you aren't" "okay".

Also, great writing, as always!

OK, redrafts, LTs 5, 6, and 7. 8 is still giving me pains.

/* Billy Joel - You may be Right/We Didn't Start The Fire mixology */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 5, c-aranrombg2 = 10 c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */

IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",9)~ THEN BEGIN a596
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, this is a mite bit more comfortable a campaign than th' last one, I think.~
 + ~NumInPartyGT(4)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",10) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a597
 + ~NumInPartyLT(5) NumInPartyGT(2)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",10) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a598
 + ~!NumInPartyGT(2)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",10) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a599
END

IF ~~ a597
 SAY ~[ARAN] Wi' five or six o' us, it seems right small a group to tackle th' task. But somehow, I be more comfortable here then when th' whole battilion o' Moonshea Axes were settin' out together.~
 + ~GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)~ + ~[PC] Do not get complacent, Aran. I only need you until we rescue Imoen. After that, you will have to prove your worth.~ + a601
 + ~Global("BodhiAppear","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1) GlobalLT("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] That makes one of us who is comfortable. Especially since it appears I need to trust either thieves or a shadowy figure who frequents graveyards...~ + a606
END

IF ~~ a598
 SAY ~[ARAN] We have only a few o' us, not even a full compliment o' five or six, which seems right small a group to tackle th' task. But somehow, I be more comfortable here then when th' whole battilion o' Moonshea Axes were settin' out together.~
END

IF ~~ a599
 SAY ~[ARAN] Only th' two o' us, against what seems like th' whole of Faerun. But somehow, I be more comfortable here then when th' whole battilion o' Moonshea Axes were settin' out together.~
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps I can make you even more comfortable with travelling with me.~ + a604
END

IF ~~ a600
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, that be a mite bit o' exaggeration, eh? Besides, I done found th' woman what interests me greatly, an' she is right close by.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think... well, that is flattering, but...~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] Wearing your heart on your sleeve? Who is the lucky woman?~ + a613 
 ++ ~[PC] Introduce me, so that I can destroy *cough* err... study my competition.~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] Is that enough? I mean, is a potential for love enough to keep both of us from falling apart, when so much around us is going wrong? How can we actually get close to each other?~ + a606
END

IF ~~ a601
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would be right happy to prove my worth, <CHARNAME>, if I have not already.~
 ++ ~[PC] What would you say if I told you that you were a burden, Aran? If I told you that your attentions bore me?~ + a603
END

IF ~~ a602
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sure enough. I did a right solid tactical evaluation for you right after we cleared that mess up, an' decided you can't rightly live wi' me not around.~
 ++ ~[PC] That was very kind of you.~ + a613
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps that had less to do with the tactics of the situation, and more to do with your desires.~ + a613 
 ++ ~[PC] Tactics, my bottom. Actually, I think you are hanging around to get more glances at the second part of that phrase.~ + a613
END

IF ~~ a603
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would be naught but happy to prove entertainin', <CHARNAME>. After all, it be right kind o' you to keep me on, when there be so many others what could be assistin' you in all this.~
 ++ ~[PC] You do a good job of amusing me. It does not have to include a formal romance.~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] That is what is confusing me. I am not sure about all of this. Please do not make me choose only one person, or one plan. There is too much going on right now.~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] You do not really amuse me. But I suppose it does no harm to have you worship me. Now, go carry my gear.~ +  a394 
 /* yes, a394 is correct -  "Aye, you be a woman after my own heart. Cheers." Inference is a rude gesture, but people can read it how they like for the characters involved, of course.*/
END

IF ~~ a604
 SAY ~[ARAN] Enough to give some thought to some spoonin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] 'Spooning'? What is that?~ + a606
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you cannot take a hint. I do not want this attention, Aran. I have my love, and he has me. Stop talking to me like this.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Comfortable enough to know that you are too good a friend to risk romantic attachments.~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
END

IF ~~ a605
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, that be no matter. Just don't trust 'em. There be few employers what can be trusted, on account o' they have their own agendas, not yours, eh? I be right surprised that you trust me.~
 ++ ~[PC] I trust you enough to know that you are too good a friend to risk romantic attachments.~ + a611
 ++ ~[PC] I am not sure I can trust myself, let alone you. Please do not make me choose only one person, or one plan. There is too much going on right now.~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] You really, really talk too much. (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss his lips.)~ + a614
END

IF ~~ a606
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, two spoons in a drawer, they nestle up close, an' then...~
 ++ ~[PC] Stop right there. No 'spooning' on the job, Aran. In fact, none on or off the job.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Stop right there. No 'spooning' on the job, Aran. Now, perhaps later you could show me how that all works, when we settle in for the night.~ + a603
 ++ ~[PC] Like this? How does my back pressing into your chest and my head falling on your shoulder make you feel?~ + a616
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Angelo, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Anomen, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608
 /* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Edwin, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Gavin, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
 + ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Kelsey, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
 /* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Kivan, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
 + ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Solaufein, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Tsjuatha, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Valygar, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
 /* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Xan, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
 + ~InParty("FHFaren") Global("FHFarenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Faren, Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
 /* RosenRanken Ajantis */
 + ~InParty("C#Ajantis") Global("C#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] You had better watch out for Ajantis,  Aran. He might see your advances as an insult.~ + a607
END

IF ~~ a607
 SAY ~[ARAN] I don't rightly care what he thinks, though he can be a good companion. All I care about is what you think. An' how you make me feel.~
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you are easy to manipulate. I can have you, or drop you, at my whim. It has been fun, but I do not want you any more. Get on with your job, sellsword.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranshutup1
END

IF ~~ a608
 SAY ~[ARAN] I don't give a rat's arse for what that soddin' bastard thinks, right good companion or not. All I care about is what you think. An' how you make me feel.~
END

IF ~~ a610
 SAY ~[ARAN] There be no need to choose, on my account. I do not hold you slave, though I suspect my heart be enslaved right proper.~
 ++ ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'I choose you'?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'I am not ready for a committed relationship with you'?~ + a611
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Angelo?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Anomen?~ + a615
 /* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Edwin?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Gavin?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Kelsey?~ + a615
 /* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Kivan?~ + a615
 + ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Solaufein?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Tsjuatha?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Valygar?~ + a615
 /* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Xan?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("FHFaren") Global("FHFarenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Faren?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("C#Ajantis") Global("C#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Ajantis?~ + a615
 ++ ~[PC] Aran, I just want to have fun. This is getting too serious, too fast.~ + a611
END

IF ~~ a611
 SAY ~[ARAN] I understand that right clear. No deep committments. But what about wild kissin', me tearin' th' clothes from your body, an' havin' a long tumble? No strings, no contract, just two close companions explorin' each other?~
 ++ ~[PC] How would you feel if I said 'yes'?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'no'?~ + a615 
 /* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 /* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 /* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Xan?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("FHFaren") Global("FHFarenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Faren?~ + a615
 + ~InParty("C#Ajantis") Global("C#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] How would you feel if I said I prefer Ajantis?~ + a615  

++ ~[PC] Big talk. Do it. (Fling your arms around his neck and kiss him.)~ + a614
END

IF ~~ a613
 SAY ~[ARAN] You hold th' contract, I know. But it be right kind o' you to keep me on, when there be so many others what could be assistin' you in all this.~
 ++ ~[PC] What I think is that you cannot take a hint. Stop talking to me like this. The only contract I have is for your sword. The metal one.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranflirtstop","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobal("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",3)~ + c-aranshutup1
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want any others. I want you.~ + a604
 ++ ~[PC] I want you to want me, Aran. But events seems unwilling to leave me alone. How can I choose between love and destiny?~ + a610
 ++ ~[PC] Well, you are here, and they are not. How does that make you feel?~ + a616
END

IF ~~ a614
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His arms encircle you, lips crushed to yours, hot and soft.)~
 ++ ~[PC] Much better. What would you do if I said 'I do not want to have you pursue me any more'?~ + a615
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'no', but did this... (begin unfastening his clothing, allowing your fingers to brush here and there, exploring.)~ + a617 
 + ~InParty("ADANGEL") Global("ADAngelRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Angelo, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 + ~InParty("Anomen") Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Anomen, there will be trouble.~ + a608
 /* SHS Edwin "Edwin" */ 
 + ~InParty("Edwin") Global("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Edwin, there will be trouble.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("B!Gavin") Global("B!GavinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Gavin, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 + ~InParty("J#Kelsey") Global("J#KelseyRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Kelsey, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 /* G3 Kivan "P#KIVAN" */
 + ~InParty("P#KIVAN") OR(2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("P#KivanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Kivan, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 + ~OR(2) InParty("SOLAUFEIN") InParty("SOLA") GlobalGT("SolaTalk","GLOBAL",12)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Solaufein, there will be trouble.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("TSUJATH") Global("TsujathaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Tsjuatha, there will be trouble.~ + a608
 + ~InParty("Valygar") OR(3) Global("H#ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) Global("ValygarRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) GlobalGT("RE_ValygarRomance","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Valygar, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 /* PPG Xan "O#XAN" */ 
 + ~InParty("O#XAN") Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Xan, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 /* SHS Faren FHFarenRomanceActive=2 */
 + ~InParty("FHFaren") Global("FHFarenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Faren, there will be trouble.~ + a607
 + ~InParty("C#Ajantis") Global("C#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] If you tell Ajantis, there will be trouble.~ + a607  
 ++ ~[PC] Now, what if I told you that I want you to make love to me? How would that make you feel?~ + a616
 ++ ~[PC] Now, what if I told you that I want you to marry me, and stay with me forever and all eternity, until the stars fall from the sky?~ + a617
 ++ ~[PC] What would you do if I said 'no', but did this... (Lean forward provocatively, allowing a decidedly intimate view.)~ + a617 
END

IF ~~ a615
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would be right sorry, an' respect that you feel that way right now. But I am not known to be anythin' but stubborn, an' I know my own interests. I will be right here, on your shield arm, hopin' you change your mind.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a616
 SAY ~[ARAN] Alive.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a617
 SAY ~[ARAN] I would say by th' gods an' goddesses, you vixen, you be teasin' me somethin' fierce.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

/* ABBA - Take A Chance On Me: */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 6,  c-aranrombg2 = 9 c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */
IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",11)~ THEN BEGIN a618
SAY ~[ARAN] So, <CHARNAME>, what was it like growin' up in a place where books ruled all?~
++ ~[PC] Books did not rule Candlekeep. People did.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a619
++ ~[PC] Boring.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a619
++ ~[PC] It was nice enough.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a619
+ ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] The best thing you could do for me right now is to focus on what you are doing, and stop talking.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup12
+ ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] How can we get anything accomplished when you keep interrupting our travels with meaningless talk?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup15
+ ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Aran, if you say another word, I will have your head removed from your shoulders. Not that it would change things much for you.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup17
 ++ ~[PC] Why does everyone ask me for my life's story? ~ + a620
 ++ ~[PC] I suspect you already know, but I know only a little of your life. Tell me something about how you grew up.~ + a640
END

IF ~~ a619
 SAY ~[ARAN] Right, then. My mistake for bein' so short on th' question. I should have asked it better. I was just thinkin' you must have been quite somethin', even way back then.~
 ++ ~[PC] Are you implying that I am old?~ + a627
 ++ ~[PC] I was nothing special.~ + a633
 ++ ~[PC] I was treated as if I were special.~ + a635
 ++ ~[PC] There was never any doubt that I was destined for greatness.~ + a635
 ++ ~[PC] Why are you asking about my past? You are smart enough to have done some research, and kept your ears open. You should know a great deal about my past by now.~ + a620
END

IF ~~ a620
 SAY ~[ARAN] To get closer to you, I wager. You are a mite bit interestin', you know. But I will admit, I was askin' out o' a different motivation.~
 ++ ~[PC] You do really not care about my childhood?~ + a623
 ++ ~[PC] Do you think that sharing stories of my childhood will bring us closer together?~ + a621
 ++ ~[PC] I really do not care what your motivations are, as long as we get to do this... (Kiss him gently on the lips.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] I really do not care what your motivations are, as long as we get to do this... (Grab him by the collar, slam your body against his chest, and attack him with a kiss.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want most people to get closer to me.~ + a635
END

IF ~~ a621
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, that rightly depends on whether we be talkin' to talk together, an' share, or if we be analyzin' the responses to gather information an' judge. Which do we be doin'?~
 ++ ~[PC] I think that actions are much more important than words. Why talk, when you can act?~ + a622
 ++ ~[PC] Judging. You seem to like me, and I might be interested in you, but information is the way to tell if things will work out.~ + a623
 ++ ~[PC] Sharing, of course. A friendship is sharing. And if we were to want anything more, it is very important.~ + a640
 ++ ~[PC] Niether. We are just passing the time, Aran. You know I cannot be tied into a deep relationship right now.~ + a622
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to have a deep discussion right now. Let's talk about this another time, and get back to work.~ + c-aranshutup1
END

IF ~~ a622
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, there, I am all in favor o' more sparkin'! I just... well, you are not like any other woman I have been attracted to, is all.~
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps that is because I like to skip all the talking and just do this... (Kiss him gently on the lips.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps that is because I like to skip all the talking and just do this... (Grab him by the collar, slam your body against his chest, and attack him with a kiss.)~ + a636
 ++ ~[PC] Perhaps it is because you know I already have found someone else, and you can never truly have all of me. Perhaps having a meaningless physical fling excites you.~ + a594 // state a594 = If you say so, <CHARNAME>
 ++ ~[PC] There is no other way to put this, Aran... we are not going to be sparking any time soon. I have found someone else.~ + a594 // state a594 = If you say so, <CHARNAME>
 ++ ~[PC] You are not quite like any other man I have seen, either. Why do you want to talk? ~ + a637
END

IF ~~ a623
 SAY ~[ARAN] Let me ask you a question. Did Gorion abuse you an' hurt you?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] Of course not.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] He was never strong enough.~ + a624
 ++ ~[PC] That is none of your business.~ + a624
END

IF ~~ a624
 SAY ~[ARAN] Did you always study hard an' do as you were told?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] No.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] Of course not.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] He was never strong enough to make me.~ + a625
 ++ ~[PC] That is none of your business. You are starting to annoy me.~ + a625
END

IF ~~ a625
 SAY ~[ARAN] Did you have many friends what comforted an' surrounded you?~
 ++ ~[PC] Yes. Is there a point to these questions?~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] No. Get to the point.~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] Of course not. Get to the point.~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] I was powerful enough to make them follow me. Get to the point.~ + a626
 ++ ~[PC] That is none of your business, and I am done answering any more of these questions.~ + a626
END

IF ~~ a626
 SAY ~[ARAN] Now, I done asked you a bunch o' questions about your past. But those questions, they tell naught o' the woman what I am travelin' with now. People change, an' things change. We grow up, we face life on our own terms, an' we move on, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] So this was a long way of saying that you were wasting my time?~ + a658
 ++ ~[PC] I do not agree. I want to know about your family, to judge what matters to you. Perhaps even see how you might treat me in the future. People do not change as much as you think.~ + a659
 ++ ~[PC] By your logic, my past is not part of the present. So why think about it at all? You started this conversation, not me.~ + a660  
 ++ ~[PC] The gods do not allow things to change for me. I have been haunted, hunted, and harried ever since Candlekeep.~ + a661
END

IF ~~ a627
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sune's Lusty Lips, no! You done misinterpreted that right proper! You are young, an' vibrant, an' beautiful...~
 ++ ~[PC] I am not beautiful. I certainly do not feel beautiful.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("c-aranpc_nsc","LOCALS",1)~ + a629
 ++ ~[PC] Much better. Go on... you were saying young, vibrant, beautiful...~ + a630
 ++ ~[PC] Right. Great line for the bar. Use your eyes. I am filthy, scarred, exhausted, have big dark shadows under my eyes, smell like the remains of several dead things, and I think I just broke a fingernail.~ + a628
 ++ ~[PC] You are so silly. I was teasing you. ~ + a628
 ++ ~[PC] And you are handsome, winsome, strong, and you even cook. Togther, we make a perfect pair. ~ + a628
END

IF ~~ a628
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, you can take it from me. I done travelled from Caer Callidyrr to Calimport, from th' Spine o' th' World to close to th' edge o' Rasheman. I keep an eye out for th' ladies, too, an' I never saw no one as beautiful as you.~
 ++ ~[PC] (Blush) Now you are being silly. (Look at the ground and scuff one foot.)~ + a630
 ++ ~[PC] Now you are being silly. By any objective measure, I am not beautiful.~ + a631
 ++ ~[PC] You have good taste, and a honeyed tongue. But flattery will get you nowhere. I prefer actions to words.~ + a622
 ++ ~[PC] Flattery will get you everywhere.~ + a622
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] I thought you said you once had a true love in Caer Callidyrr. Was she as beautiful as I am?~ + a629
 ++ ~[PC] Of course. Many have noticed my superior beauty. Few have dared to move beyond words and into actions.~ + a622
END

IF ~~ a629
 SAY ~[ARAN] There be beauty, an' then there be beauty. I have had a fair number o' encounters wi' people who look right fine on th' inside, but not out. More that look easy on th' eyes, but be as ugly as Talos' Talons on th' inside.~
 ++ ~[PC] Beautiful or ugly is a meaningless distinction. The only meaningful contrast is useful and not useful.~ + a657
 ++ ~[PC] What makes me beautiful?~ + a632
 ++ ~[PC] You have certainly spent enough time looking at my outsides, and unfortuntely we have had enough combat to show you my insides. If you want to call me beautiful, though, you should be more specific.~ + a632
 ++ ~[PC] Inside or outside, beautiful or not beautiful, none of that matters. But I am glad you like me.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] None of this matters. What is important is that you realize that I am the most important thing in your life.~ EXIT
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] You are ducking the question. Was she as beautiful as I am?~ + a663
END

IF ~~ a630
 SAY ~[ARAN] An' you be so modest, too. But Prism himself could not be capturin' all o' your effect. O' course, sculptors like him, they only work wi' the outer shell.~
 ++ ~[PC] I thought Prism was dead.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranprism","LOCALS",1)~ + a634
 ++ ~[PC] Who is Prism?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranprism","LOCALS",1)~ + a634
 ++ ~[PC] I met that sculptor once.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranprism","LOCALS",1)~ + a634
END

IF ~~ a631
 SAY ~[ARAN] What in th' nine hells is this 'objective measure', eh? In Calimport, wearin' veils an' gettin' plump marks beauty. In th' Isles, long curly red hair an' slim ankles marks it. An' I suspect there be a place on Toril where havin' both ears stretched out long an' pokin' up over your head marks th' finest looks. So I stick wi' the simple choice, an' decide it for myself.~
 ++ ~[PC] So what makes me beautiful to you, Aran?~ + a632
 ++ ~[PC] Talk all you want. I know a load of garbage when I hear it. Nice garbage, but garbage nonetheless.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are beautiful too, Aran. I just do not see what attracts you to me.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("c-aranpc_nsc","LOCALS",1)~ + a632 // Idea - track low self esteem answers for an independent talk? Hmmm.
 ++ ~[PC] Ah-ha! I have found the best way of attracting your many attentions. I shall get a potion of polymorph, and become a bunny rabbit!~ + a661
END

IF ~~ a632
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, if I was to choose one thing, it would be your eyes. Sometimes they be right bright, an' sharp. Sometimes they be deep an' far away. Sometimes they be as warm as th' sun, sometimes as cool an' misty as Selune shinin' through the night. But when you look at me, they always make me feel somethin' deep inside.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think that feeling is your last batch of curry, working its revenge.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I do not like my eyes. I see too many horrible things with them. ~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I like my eyes. But I like some of my other attributes as well. Don't you? (Spin slowly, showing your legs and body to advantage.)~ + a662
 ++ ~[PC] That is sweet, Aran. What are my eyes saying now?~ + a664
END

IF ~~ a633
 SAY ~[ARAN] Bollux. We all be ugly duckin's when just startin' out, but you have somethin' what sets you apart. I do not rightly see how you could avoid showin' it.~
 ++ ~[PC] I became very good at hiding.~ + a637
 ++ ~[PC] Gorion was the only one who saw anything special in me. And perhaps Imoen.~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] I was hideous then, and things have not gotten much better. Why do you pretend that I am anything but a monster?~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] I managed. But how did you cope with all the changes growing up?~ + a654
END

IF ~~ a634
 SAY ~[ARAN] He might have been dead awhile ago, but he got better. Saw him workin' a commission in Trademeet nigh on half a season ago. Th' wonders o' havin' an agent, eh? They say th' sly bastard who ran his gallery stuck a clause in th' contract what never indicated a termination time, so th' agent just raised Prism an' set him back to work. That's why I always toss a stipulation what says contracts terminate on death, an' don't rightly hold effect even if th' contractee raises the contractor. Got that idea from one o' them slick Trademeet Costers. O' course, I had to learn it th' hard way.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a629
END

IF ~~ a635
 SAY ~[ARAN] Somehow, I can believe that. We all be ugly ducklin's when just startin' out, but you have somethin' that sets you apart. I do not rightly see how you could avoid it showin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] I became very good at hiding from any but the closest of friends.~ + a637
 ++ ~[PC] Gorion was the only one who saw anything truly special in me. And perhaps Imoen.~ + a660
 ++ ~[PC] All of that was a mistake. I was hideous then, and things have not gotten much better. Why do you pretend that I am anything but a monster?~ a660
 ++ ~[PC] I managed to avoid being spoiled. But how did you cope with all the changes growing up?~ + a654
 ++ ~[PC] I was never an ugly duckling. Are you trying to annoy me?~ + a658
END

IF ~~ a636
 SAY ~[ARAN] (His strong hands grip your waist and pull you tightly to him.) Tempus' Tribute, you cut right to th' chase, don't you. So you want none o' th' talk? I thought you might want to share some stories, an' get right close an' all. Emotionally, I mean.~
END

IF ~~ a637
 SAY ~[ARAN] I thought you might want to share some stories, an' get right close an' all. Emotionally, I mean.~
END

IF ~~ a638
 SAY ~[ARAN] I am not quite sure. It has not come up often in my life, an' that be a fact. Might be I am doin' a bit o' changin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] Well, do not change too much. I kind of like you the way you are.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Change is good. We should start with getting you a decent grammar tutor, and perhaps a vocal coach.~ EXIT
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] It has come up at least once before, hasn't it? I thought you said you once had a true love in Caer Callidyrr.~ + a639
 ++ ~[PC] Are you purposely trying to annoy me, Aran? Some things never change. You know that.~ + a658
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] It would not be the first time you made big changes. You told me about deciding that the Fist was the wrong path for you.~ + a641
END

IF ~~ a639
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, <CHARNAME>, I did. But Gwynneth, she... well, it was a different time, an' a whole different relationship. Mayhap we were too young. Mayhap we had all th' fire, but not a real reserve o' fuel, eh? I never rightly considered that th' whole love thing might be a bit o' work. It never says that in bard's tales an' such. Mayhap there is no livin' happily after, without a mite bit o' change.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a640
 SAY ~[ARAN] That sounds fine wi' me. An' we got plenty to share, on account o' we had such different ways growin' up. I mean, you bein' stuck in Candlekeep an' me bein' always on th' road from market to market.~
 ++ ~[PC] So you did not stay in any one place for long?~ + a642
END

IF ~~ a641
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, while I was bumpin' along tryin' to learn to read an' figure up accounts, you had th' world at your fingertips, so to speak.~
 ++ ~[PC] Reading does not replace experiencing things for yourself. But it did mean I had time to train. Did you ever stay in one place?~ + a642
 ++ ~[PC] Reading is a safe replacement for experiencing things for yourself. It also gave me time to train. Did you ever stay in one place?~ + a642
 ++ ~[PC] Sometimes I wish I could go back, reading about the world instead of having it constantly try to smash me flat. It would be nice to turn back time.~ + a655
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] I do not want to talk about Candlekeep. Hey, you never told me about deciding to leave the Fist. Why did you leave?~ + a643
END

IF ~~ a642
 SAY ~[ARAN] No time to stay long anywhere. A Coster wagon, especially an independent one, goes where the market leads. An' when I struck out on my own, well, there has not been much in th' way o' things to keep me in one place long.~
 ++ ~[PC] How did you learn to cope with all of the changes?~ + a654
 + ~Global("c-leavefist","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] You never told me about deciding to leave the Fist. Why did you leave?~ + a643
END

// a643 is a chain, drafted into duty as general backstory and linked to friend and love talks.

IF ~~ a644
 SAY ~[ARAN] We ended up down in Nashkel, guardin' some mines what had been restored. Only one thing more borin' than guardin' a successful mine - watchin' grass grow. Rather than go stark ravin' mad, I mustered out an' headed south again.~
 ++ ~[PC] What was driving you mad?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a645
 ++ ~[PC] So you prefer to move on rather than settle down.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a648
 + ~GlobalLT("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",11)~ + ~[PC] Do you always answer everything this completely?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a646
 + ~GlobalGT("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",10)~ + ~[PC] Do you always answer everything this completely?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1)~ + a647
END

IF ~~ a645
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, for one thing, th' cook was jealous o' his job, an' unfortunately was about as skilled as a brace o' gibberlings. You can tolerate boredom, but boredom an' indigestion?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a646
 SAY ~[ARAN] That depends on how much someone be willin' to pay to make me shut up!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a647
 SAY ~[ARAN] You bloody well know I do, <CHARNAME>!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

/* Moonshea Service SetGlobal("c-leavefist","LOCALS",1) from a643 */
IF ~~ a648
 SAY ~[ARAN] I served Moonshea for three campaigns, an' for years an' years in th' family Coster. When I find the right group o' companions, I stick solid.~
 + ~ReputationGT(Player1,16)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a650
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,17) ReputationGT(Player1,11)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a651
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,12) ReputationGT(Player1,8)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a652
 + ~ReputationLT(Player1,9)~ + ~[PC] So have you found the right group here?~ + a653
 IF ~OR(2) Global("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranromance","GLOBAL",1)~ GOTO a649 
END

IF ~~ a649
 SAY ~[ARAN] In this case, I think you be most o' th' attraction, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a650
 SAY ~[ARAN] Corellon's Bow, I could not be happier. Except we do not rightly get enough time carousin'. O' course, do there ever be enough carousin'?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a651
 SAY ~[ARAN] Selune's Sword, aye. I be backin' you, right? How can I go wrong?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a652
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, it be a right tough group. Not th' nicest, but then again, I be takin' 'effective' over 'nice' any tenday.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a653
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, not always, that be sure. But I figure I am in for th' duration wi' you. I want to avoid bein' on th' wrong side o' your campaign, eh? Folks what are not on your side turn up dead right quick. Or worse, slow an' painful.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a654
 SAY ~[ARAN] I learned right quick, I did. Coster, Company, or colleagues; rowin' short haul on a galley or workn' outrider on a caravan; Calimport or Targus. It has naught to do wi' where you are, only who you are with, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a655
 SAY ~[ARAN] Perhaps. But then when time rolled on forward, it might not take exactly th' same path, an' I might never get no chance what to meet you. Now that would be a cryin' shame, that would.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a656
 SAY ~[ARAN] Things might change. Th' gods an' goddesses cast wide nets an' tweak th' course o' events, for sure. An' Fate, she be a right harsh mistress. But th' only things in life what can't be changed are death an' taxes.~
 = ~[ARAN] Hold on... we got ourselves right fine spells for th' death thing, an' if you keep movin' they may never catch up wi' you to make you pay, so that means there be nothin' what can't be changed at least a little!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a657
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, there be some truth there. On th' other hand, is there naught of usefulness in bein' beautiful? It seems to work right well for you.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a658
 SAY ~[ARAN] Sort of. If I annoy you just a little, your eyes flash, an' send a quick sparkle what makes my heart jump. Plus, I was really askin' on account o' I just want to hear your voice.~
 ++ ~[PC] Men.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Boys.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] That is otyugh feed. Our past shapes us and guides us. An oak tree does not become a maple tree. Information is power.~ + a659
 ++ ~[PC] Well, listen carefully to my voice, Aran. Next time, do not ask me about my past. Instead, tell me how you will be a part of my future.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Remind me to randomly accost you with general questions about your upbringing in order to waste your time and annoy you.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a659
 SAY ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>, I'd think careful on that. In tree terms, you went from bein' a cute little maple tree to bein' a dangerous thunderstorm. In Faerun, there be no end to the possibilities for change, eh? There might even be a chance for me to settle down. Stranger things have happened. In fact, stranger things have happened to us within the last tenday.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a660
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, I just can not get rid o' my mind's picture image o' a cute little you, all shiny-haired an' starry-eyed, laughin' an' runnin' around all innocent an' free outside th' Library. It seems a right fine picture.~
 ++ ~[PC] Men.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Boys.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I would tell you it was just like that, but I would be lying through my teeth.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Add a few romps in the hayloft with a playmate or two, some minor thievery, and perhaps a few practical jokes, and you just described Imoen.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I think your last curry has won the battle, and addled your brain, you silly goof.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] I will have to see about getting you more focused in reality, Aran. You will be useless to me if these kind of tiresome thoughts keep intruding.~ EXIT  
END

IF ~~ a661
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, just make sure you include a mite bit o' that there rabbit-like sex drive, an' I will see right past those ears, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a662
 SAY ~[ARAN] 'Attributes', eh? Is that what they be callin' 'em these days? I always thought they called 'em breasts.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a663
 SAY ~[ARAN] I guess you done caught me. That is a mite bit tough a question to ask, you know. Can I talk about somethin' less dangerous?~
 ++ ~[PC] No. I thought you said you loved her. Do I have the same attributes as she did, Aran?~ + a662
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are still in love with her, even though she is beyond your reach. Is that why you want to flirt but do not ever commit to any one woman?~ + a656
 ++ ~[PC] I have had my share of lovers, too, Aran. Fate has not put either of us in a position to think beyond immediate comfort.~ + a656
END

IF ~~ a664
 SAY ~[ARAN] I have no idea, but I think somethin' behind me just caught fire!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

/* I want you - do you want me? */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 7, c-aranrombg2 = 11 c-aranromtimer,C-ARANROM */
IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",11)~ THEN BEGIN a665
SAY ~[ARAN] (Aran looks along the horizon, then back at you.)~
= ~[ARAN] (He drops his head to one side, his eyes searching anywhere except where you are standing.)~
= ~[ARAN] <CHARNAME>... Have you ever... have you thought perhaps o' settlin' down, or lettin' someone watch out for you a bit?~
++ ~[PC] No, I don't really have time to think about that.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a668
++ ~[PC] I think about that all the time, Aran.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a666
++ ~[PC] It is a nice dream, isn't it.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a666
++ ~[PC] The settling down, yes. The watching out for me, no.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a667	
+ ~RandNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Yes, I have. Just not you. We should not talk about this right now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup9
+ ~RandNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Yes, I have. Just not you. We should not talk about this right now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup10
+ ~RandNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Yes, I have. Just not you. We should not talk about this right now.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",12) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup11	
+ ~GlobalGT("SelfTalk","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] Who would want me? The monster I can become makes that an impossibility.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("c-aranpc_nsc","LOCALS",1)~ + a677b
+ ~GlobalLT("SelfTalk","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] Who would want me? Sometimes I feel as if I am a walking shadow of a dead god.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("c-aranpc_nsc","LOCALS",1)~ + a677c
END

IF ~~ a666
SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, then - but who am I kiddin'? Settlin' down is what normal women have. Women who have time to think about fine silk dresses and dancin'. Adventurers think about other things. Usually about stayin' alive.~
++ ~[PC] You know what I think about? Tactical positioning. Efficient blocking of spellcasters. Not quite the stuff of dreams.~ + a668
++ ~[PC] I think about settling down, Aran. Perhaps when things are not quite so 'impending doom' and 'rescue friends before the enemy hurts them'.~ + a668
++ ~[PC] I don't know about settling down, but sometimes it would be nice to have someone just hold me for a while.~ + a668
++ ~[PC] Who are you kidding? Does that mean you have been thinking about eventually settling down with me?~ + a677
+ ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] I only have one reminder for you... Caer Callidyrr.~ + a678
+ ~Alignment(Player1,MASK_EVIL)~ + ~[PC] I would not describe myself as 'normal', but I do have wants and needs.~ + a673
+ ~!Alignment(Player1,MASK_EVIL)~ + ~[PC] I would not describe myself as 'normal', but I do have wants and needs.~ + a674
END

IF ~~ a667
SAY ~[ARAN] You haven't thought there might be somethin' to havin' someone take care o' you?~
++ ~[PC] I take what I want from whom I want, when I want, Aran. Why would I need one special person dedicated to what everyone can provide?~ + a677
++ ~[PC] I like you, Aran. And your friendship comes with certain... benefits. But I am in love with another person. Does that mean you will stop being my special friend?~ + a677
++ ~[PC] I like you, Aran. But I already have feelings for another. We shoud not be doing this.~ + a677
++ ~[PC] I can usually look out for myself. Besides, there is something to be said for being able to look out for someone else, you know. Perhaps I want to protect and defend a certain person, instead of them protcting me.~ + a677
++ ~[PC] I can take care of myself. I just allow you to make yourself feel useful. Did you have anything else you wanted to discuss?~ + a668
++ ~[PC] Of course I think about it.~ + a668
END

IF ~~ a668
SAY ~[ARAN] I think about it sometimes, is all. It is hard to dream wi' out nightmares, sometimes. And there is somethin' to havin' a strong partner to help face the world.~
++ ~[PC] You know, it isn't that hard to do. Arms go around the back, hands at the waist, lean forward a little - a relatively simple manouver for a man trained in combat.~ + a677
++ ~[PC] And you think perhaps I would be interested in that kind of contract?~ + a669
++ ~[PC] Look, Aran. You are useful to have around, but forget the long term ideas. Life is too short for contracts~ + a669
++ ~[PC] I know you like me, but are you suggesting that we become something more permanent?~ + a677
+ ~Alignment(Player1,MASK_EVIL)~ + ~[PC] I would not describe myself as 'normal', but even I have wants and needs.~ + a673
+ ~!Alignment(Player1,MASK_EVIL)~ + ~[PC] I would not describe myself as 'normal', but even I have wants and needs.~ + a674
END

IF ~~ a669
SAY ~[ARAN] I wasn't... Sune's Sweet Breath, I swear I wasn't talkin' contract, here. I was just passing th' time, speculatin'.~
++ ~[PC] No contracts, but I do take recommendations, and I even sample wares.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] Am I so horrible? Don't you want to cuddle up to me?~ + a670
++ ~[PC] It is a nice dream Aran, but right now is not a great time for talking about this.~ + a677
+ <<CONDITIONS_NOSEX_RE_MOD_VANILLA>> + ~[PC] Aran, I will not be doing anything without a contract. Anything.~ + a677
+ <<CONDITIONS_SEX_RE_MOD_VANILLA>> + ~[PC] Aran, I will not be doing anything without a contract. Anything.~ + a677a	
++ ~[PC] You know, it isn't that hard to do. Arms go around the back, hands at the waist, lean forward a little - a relatively simple manouver for a man trained in combat.~ + a670
END

IF ~~ a670
SAY ~[ARAN] (Aran's face goes as still and careful as if aiming an arrow.)~
++ ~[PC] (Lean into him and kiss him.)~ + a671
++ ~[PC] (Look into his eyes, then release his jaw and step away.)~ + a672
++ ~[PC] Aran, don't you want to do something?~ + a672
++ ~[PC] I... Aran... I want you to kiss me, please.~ + a671
++ ~[PC] I am getting tired of the hints. I am a simple woman. I expect you to take what you want, by force if necessary. All this talk is wasting my time. Are you going to act, or are you going to dance around avoiding the whole concept of 'us'?~ + a677
++ ~[PC] Look at me any way you want, Aran. When you have grown up and decided what really matters, come by and we can have another little chat.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a671
SAY ~[ARAN] (Slowly, reluctantly, large rough hands grip around your waist as Aran leans forward into the kiss, tipping your head back.)~
= ~[ARAN] (Suddenly they grip harder, and he pulls away, his chest rising and falling rapidly.)~
++ ~[PC] That was not so bad, now, was it? Or were you looking for more, right here and now?~ + a677
++ ~[PC] Why did you stop? Did I do something wrong?~ + a677
+ <<conditions_aran_sex>> + ~[PC] Hey, we have already had wild sex. Why are you backing away from me now?~ + a675
+ <<conditions_aran_nosex>> + ~[PC] You know I am not a prude, Aran. I have had my share of affairs and flirtations. Why are you backing away?~ + a675
++ ~[PC] (Smile at him, turn, and walk away.)~ EXIT
++ ~[PC] Just a downpayment on tonight's entertainment. I will leave you to your thoughts.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a672
SAY ~[ARAN] (Aran's shoulders tense as if he were about to embrace you, but he steps gently away instead.)~
++ ~[PC] Are you afraid you might be falling for me?~ + a677
++ ~[PC] Am I so unattractive to you that you will not be close to me?~ +  a675
++ ~[PC] Coward. Run back to your mother's skirts. Perhaps when you are grown up, you can come play with a real woman.~ + a677
++ ~[PC] (Turn away, covering your face.)~ + a676
++ ~[PC] You tease me with ideas about settling down, and then will not follow up with a simple kiss. Are you trying to make my life miserable?~ + a676
END

IF ~~ a673
SAY ~[ARAN] Let me guess... world domination, control o' th' most power you can get, an' perhaps a few small treasuries?~
++ ~[PC] That is a stupid guess. I want all of that, and much, much more.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I think that 'small' should not enter the conversation whenever the conversation is about what I want.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] No, of course not. World peace, kittens and puppies playing together happily, and everyone glowing with goodness and light, so that my eventual domination with be so much sweeter.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I want to drop this subject, and move on. Or are you trying to make my life miserable?~ + a676
++ ~[PC] Exactly. What more gould a girl possibly want? Well, perhaps the dismembered heads of my enemies...~ + a670
END

IF ~~ a674
SAY ~[ARAN] I do not know what that would be, <CHARNAME>. You confuse me a might, you do. Befuddle my mind. What do you want, anyways?~
++ ~[PC] I do not know what I want in the big sense, but I know what I want right now. I want to be loved.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I want you to stop talking and start acting.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I wish that this were a bard's story, so that the words were already there, and I could just say them, and you would know.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I want... oh, never mind. I don't understand men at all.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I want to drop this subject, and move on. Or are you trying to make my life miserable?~ + a676
END

IF ~~ a675
SAY ~[ARAN] No, Istishia's Ivory Globes, I want you, right now, an' that's what scares me. You don't rightly know exactly what you want. But I might just be feelin' more than a passin' fancy. And that bloody well scares th' crap out o' me.~
++ ~[PC] I do not know what I want in the big sense, but I know what I want right now. I want to be loved.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I want you to stop talking and start acting.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] I wish that this were a bard's story, so that the words were already there, and I could just say them, and you would know.~ + a670
END

IF ~~ a676
SAY ~[ARAN] Milil's Golden Voice, I am right sorry. I want... I don't rightly know what I want, or even what I have right now. But I am backin' you, by your side, no matter what, until you tell me otherwise. An' that be a contract that needs no parchament.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a677
SAY ~[ARAN] (a dark blush creeps up Aran's neck, painting his cheeks.)~
= ~[ARAN] Nay, It was a thought, nothin' more. I was just wonderin'.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

/* Extend to CHAIN for potential encounters? Lots of work for a throwaway line - might revisit and extend. */
IF ~~ a677a
SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, that be naught like what I heard... in fact, I think you be teasin' me!~
= ~[ARAN] But nay, a thought, nothin' more. I was just wonderin'.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a677b
SAY ~[ARAN] The whole claw-growin' thing be a mite awkward, but I have heard o' Dragon-kin an' humans what fall in love wi' eachoher. That includes claws, a tail, an' some ferociously bad breath, it does. An' the scales seem a mite dangerous, dependin' on the activity.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO a668
END

IF ~~ a677c
SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now, there be worse things. I done heard o' a man who died o' love for a statue. An' since I can pinch your rear, though not wi' out takin' my life in my hands, you be no shadow.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO a668
END

IF ~~ a678
SAY ~[ARAN] Umberlee's Fickle Breath, you know how to hit below th' belt. I was askin' naught o' you but a simple question. Do you enjoy twistin' a sword in my gut, an' makin' me sick wi' pain?~
++ ~[PC] I do not care what hurts you, Aran. I do not even know what I want, and I already am feeling way too much pain and confusion myself. But I do know I want to be loved.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] So you are not over your love for her. That means you do not really love me.~ + a670
++ ~[PC] There are no simple questions, and no simple answers. But I will ask anyways - do you love me?~ + a670
END

Still a work in progress, I think. But here is #8. By now, the options to break it off can drop away in favor of the player using the PID to shut down the romance. By now, if they have put up with him this long they want him talking, either as a primary romance or as a fling in a multi-romance. I think I need the reply space (I need to keep the options between 4 and 6 possible or the player gets overloaded).

/* Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic */
/* BG2 LoveTalk 8, c-aranrombg2 = 13 c-aranromtimer,C-ARAN_ROM */
IF ~Global("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",13)~ THEN BEGIN a682
SAY ~[ARAN] You know, it does a man right good just to watch you, <CHARNAME>. It brings a right quick spring to his step, an' a song to his heart.~
++ ~[PC] All right. Give me your waterskin, Aran. I have told you before about drinking on the job. The idea is to use water, not alcohol.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a683
++ ~[PC] Given our current situation, I think you probably need to spend more time watching for trouble and less watching me.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a684
++ ~[PC] You are hopelessly head over heels in love with me, aren't you?~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a685
+ ~RandNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] Thank you for the compliment, but I do not want to talk right now. We need to move on.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup5
+ ~RandNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] Less focus on my rear end, more focus on our rear guard. And no more talking right now. ~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup6
+ ~RandNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] Flattery will get you everywhere, Aran, but for now, shut your mouth and attend your job.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup9
+ ~RandNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] I put up with you because you are useful, but I do not have to listen to you mooning over me like a lovesick calf. Shut up and soldier, soldier.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + c-aranshutup9
++ ~[PC] I am not beautiful, and I move like a gawky apprentice. I think you are making fun of me.~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) IncrementGlobal("c-aranpc_nsc","LOCALS",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM) ~ + a687
++ ~[PC] I think the feeling is mutual. Did you know that you have a very muscular bottom?~ + DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",14) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranromtimer","GLOBAL",C-ARAN_ROM)~ + a686
END

IF ~~ a683
 SAY ~[ARAN] I be drunk right proper, but not from alcohol. There be somethin' magical in th' way you move, like everythin' you do could be somethin' special. It be fascinatin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] I suspect your urges are running away with your common sense, and taking what is left of your reason with them.~ + a687
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'There is something magical in the way that you move, as if anything you do could be something special'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] I watch you, too. I watch you to see if you are able to handle your job, or if I am too much of a distraction for you.~ + a702	
 ++ ~[PC] So when I move my body like this...~ + a700
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you insist on falling for me?~ + a705  
END

IF ~~ a684
 SAY ~[ARAN] I think o' naught but you, anyways, so where my eyes land be o' no account. There be somethin' magical in th' way you move, like everythin' you do could be somethin' special. It be fascinatin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] You know, I like your speech just the way it is. No fancy shell game of words. Just you, plain and simple.~ + a698
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'I think of nothing but you, so where my gaze wanders is of little consequence'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are distracted, Aran. Can you handle yourself? Can you handle me?~ + a703
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you love me?~ + a705
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you think so physically? I do not trust a love that only looks at my outside appearence. Appearences can change in the blink of an eye.~ + a693 
END

IF ~~ a685
 SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, as lovesick as a boy what's done found his first love. There be somethin' magical in th' way you move, like everythin' you do could be somethin' special. It be fascinatin'.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'As lovesick as a boy who has found his first love'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you insist on falling for me? Why do you love me?~ + a705
 ++ ~[PC] You know, I like your speech just the way it is. No fancy shell game of words, just you, plain and simple.~ + a698
 ++ ~[PC] I am worried. You seem very distracted. Can you handle yourself? Can you handle me?~ + a703
 ++ ~[PC] I think you have come to the conclusion that falling in love with me is not as scary as you thought.~ + a708
END

IF ~~ a686
 SAY ~[ARAN] Why, <CHARNAME>, I think you done told me that th' last time you ran your hands over me, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] You wish. I am a lady, and ladies do not say such things to gentlemen. At least, not while the gentleman in question is clothed.~ + a707
 ++ ~[PC] So, it sounds like you have come to the conclusion that falling in love with me is not as scary as you once thought.~ + a708
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you insist on falling for me? Why do you love me?~ + a705
 ++ ~[PC] I think there are two questions, Aran. Can you handle yourself? Can you handle me?~ + a703
 ++ ~[PC] I thought you understood me. I want actions, not words. No more words, no more promises. Act.~ + a707
END

IF ~~ a687
 SAY ~[ARAN] I be serious, <CHARNAME>. You move, an' it pulls at my heart like to tear it open.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'I am serious, <CHARNAME>. When you move it feels like my heart will tear open'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] So, it sounds like you have come to the conclusion that falling in love with me is not as scary as you once thought.~ + a708
 ++ ~[PC] Why? Why do you love me?~ + a705
 ++ ~[PC] That sounds more like your last meal causing you trouble.~ + a691
 ++ ~[PC] I do not want to have that effect on you. I just want you to love me, and watch out for me.~ + a692
END

IF ~~ a688
 SAY ~[ARAN] I think I done said that, eh?~
 ++ ~[PC] You are so poorly educated. It would not hurt to try some grammar and perhaps some attention to your sentence structure.~ + a689
 ++ ~[PC] Well, actually, you tried to say it, but it came out all scrambled up. It usually does, you know. You can be hard to follow.~ + a701
 ++ ~[PC] What you need, Aran, are some elocution lessons. Come on, give it a try... I can make it worth your while...~ + a704
 ++ ~[PC] Never mind. I have better things for your lips to do anyways. Get that cute little rump of yours over here, and we can try some breathing exercises.~ + a704
 ++ ~[PC] I think you are madly in love with me, and I know I am madly in love with you. But if you keep torturing Common like that, I am going to go crazy.~ + a689
 ++ ~[PC] Well, no matter what you say or how you say it, I think you have come to the conclusion that falling in love with me is not as scary as you thought.~ + a708
END

IF ~~ a689
 SAY ~[ARAN] (cough.) Alas, my lady, it does my heart great pain to hear such harsh words from such fair lips. Indeed, my poor speech is but a meager transport for the raging fires of love; an emotion pressed from my soul like fine wine from the ripest of grapes. Would that my quaint mannerisms could impress the depth of my ardour, but alas, no mere mortal breath can express such elysian ideals. No manner of speech can convey the fierce animal instincts which your presence engenders within my heart.~
 ++ ~[PC] (Stare at him in shock.)~ + a690
 ++ ~[PC] Now, verily my love hath the tongue of angels. Such fine speech requires sweet reward, perchance the gentle kiss of love's lips.~ + a690
 ++ ~[PC] Sune's Sweet Breath, shut up and kiss me!~ + a690
 ++ ~[PC] Gods, the man is possessed. Someone hand me a vial of Holy Water and a book of poetry, so I can beat him over the head with both!~ + a690  
 ++ ~[PC] Well, that was a little better, but overblown and stilted. How about using simple grammatical construction, common verb usage, and avoiding colloquialisms, slang, and contractions?~ + a690
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you love me?~ + a705
END

IF ~~ a690
 SAY ~[ARAN] There be plenty o' fancy words to use, an' I can roll 'em out right quick for you if I practice scribin' 'em an' rehearsin' 'em like a play. But I be a plain spoken man. All that talk is just pretty clothin', all o' which amounts to 'I love you, I want you, be mine own.'~
 ++ ~[PC] But it sounds so much prettier when you speak with such elegance...~ + a697
 ++ ~[PC] I will tell you what. You and I work together on cleaning up your speech, and I will let you explore my body, very slowly.~ + a704
 ++ ~[PC] Why do you insist on falling for me? I pick on your choice of words, I have all sorts of faults... why do you want to be with me?~ + a705
 ++ ~[PC] I do not need the fancy words all the time, but it is so nice to hear you can learn. Especially when it is just so you can please me.~ + a702
 ++ ~[PC] On second thought, we can divide and conquer. I will do the talking, and you will do the loving. I will even let ou name one or two of our children.~ + a706
 ++ ~[PC] You know, I like your speech just the way it is. No fancy shell game of words. Just you, plain and simple.~ + a698
END

IF ~~ a691
 SAY ~[ARAN] I know th' difference between a mite bit o' heartburn an' the pangs o' love. Trust me, I know.~
 ++ ~[PC] Then tell me - why do you love me?~ + a705
 ++ ~[PC] If you keep torturing language like that, I am going to go crazy.~ + a689
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'I know the difference between heartburn and the pains of love'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] You are so sweet. I will tell you a little secret - perhaps someday, I will even let you name one or two of our children.~ + a706
 ++ ~[PC] Love, lust, or whatever emotion you want to have, Aran - just make sure you do not hurt me.~ + a708
END

IF ~~ a692
 SAY ~[ARAN] I can do both, you know. Besides, there is naught in th' way o' escapin' the way you make me feel.~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'There is no escape from the way that you make me feel'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] If you keep torturing language like that, I am going to go crazy.~ + a689
 ++ ~[PC] You are so sweet. I will tell you a little secret - perhaps someday, I will even let you name one or two of our children.~ + a706
 ++ ~[PC] I am fine with whatever you need to do or feel, Aran - just make sure you do not hurt me.~ + a708
END

IF ~~ a693
 SAY ~[ARAN] True enough. An' I know some o' what I feel is a bit farther below th' heart. But you make me feel different, somehow.~
 + ~Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] Different from Gwynneth, that lost love in Moonshea?~ + a694
 + ~!Global("c-CaerCallidyrr","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] Different from what you have felt for anyone else?~ + a695
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'I know that some of what I feel is lust rather than love'.~ + a688
 ++ ~[PC] You might just have your way with me, Aran. Perhaps even win my heart. But what would we name the children?~ + a706
 ++ ~[PC] Love, lust, or whatever emotion you want to have, Aran - just make sure you do not hurt me.~ + a708
END

IF ~~ a694
 SAY ~[ARAN] Different from Gwynneth. Different from everybody. Stronger.~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a708
END

IF ~~ a695
 SAY ~[ARAN] Different from everybody. Stronger. Sharper.~
END

IF ~~ a696
 SAY ~[ARAN] There be little or no difference between th' two, in th' first stages. But in terms o' th' words...~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a688
END

IF ~~ a697
 SAY ~[ARAN] Then this will be naught but a bucket o' cold water on you, eh - ~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a700
END

IF ~~ a698
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, now. Plain, simple, an' direct I can do, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a700
END

IF ~~ a699
 SAY ~[ARAN] Hmmmm. Attractive lady, comes wi' her own gear, divine bloodline, legs what to die for... I think I will choose you, eh?~
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a700
END

IF ~~ a700  
 SAY ~[ARAN] Get your pretty arse over here, woman, on account o' I either kiss you right this minute or explode o' confined lust!~
 ++ ~[PC] Cad. For that, I will limit you to a dozen or so kisses. No, not there. Oh. Well, perhaps there. Ummmm...~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Explode all you want, boyo. Just nowhere near me!~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Hush, darling. Not in front of the children.~ + a706
 ++ ~[PC] MY 'pretty arse'? You can kiss my... HEY! I did not mean that literally!~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Take a good, long look as I walk away. Next time, remember that I do not take kindly to crass language and you ordering me about like a serving wench.~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] Someday, my Prince will come. But right now, you will do just fine.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ a701
 SAY ~[ARAN] I am right easy to follow. But it be a nicer view when you be ahead o' me, an' I get a goodly gander. ~
 ++ ~[PC] Cad. For that, I will limit you to a dozen or so kisses. No, not there. Oh. Well, perhaps there. Ummmm...~ EXIT
 ++ ~[PC] If you keep torturing Common like that, I am going to go crazy.~ + a689
 ++ ~[PC] I think there are two questions, Aran. Can you handle yourself? Can you handle me?~ + a703
END

IF ~~ a702
 SAY ~[ARAN] That be downright unfair, <CHARNAME>. I can handle my job an' watchin' you. I do not rightly want you hurt, so it makes me right fine at doin' my job. ~
 ++ ~[PC] I think you mean 'I do not want to see you hurt, so I am better focused on your defense'.~ + a688
END

IF ~~ a703
 SAY ~[ARAN] I done spent way too much time handlin' myself. An' handlin' you, that would be a pleasure. My bedroll or yours?~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a704
 SAY ~[ARAN] Well, if there be exercises involvin' lips an' tongue, count me in. I might even be able to control my lusts, eh? Not that I am promisin' anythin', mind you...~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a705
 SAY ~[ARAN] If I had a thousand words, I still could not rightly describe why. You scare me, an' fill me wi' wonder. You excite me. You move a wrist, an' I am driven mad wi' desire.~ 
 IF ~~ THEN GOTO a708
END

IF ~~ a706
 SAY ~[ARAN] Children?! Where be... ooh, you minx. That were a bucket o' cold water right there, an' it hit th' target right proper!~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a707
 SAY ~[ARAN] I can rectify that right quick, I can. Do you see anyplace around here where lad can have a quick roll in th' hay wi' a pretty lass?~
 ++ ~[PC] Are you sure you can handle me? After all, when I walk it seems to tie you up in knots and drive you mad with desire.~ + a703
 ++ ~[PC] Right over there. But where in the world are you going to find a pretty lass to romp with around here?~ + a699
END

IF ~~ a708
 SAY ~[ARAN] I am still bloody well scared o' fallin' for you, <CHARNAME>. But tryin' to stop fallin' in love wi' you is like tryin' to stop breathin'. I get all dizzy, turn funny colors, an' fall over - an' then I take another breath.~
 IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

Archived