Icons on the portrait

Leomar

Salk reported the following:

Personally I am in favour instead of having the icons on the portrait.

Yes, there is the serious risk that eventually the picture will be full of icons and yes, it can cause confusion for players trying to understand when a spell effect is running out.

Still the icons immediately tell the player that a certain effect is presently working on his character and I find them a valuable visual help.

For that reason, I am in favour of restoring the icons.

My opinion is the same.

Have you done much for removed icons? Which are it? Perhaps there are only a few changes and we should not bother?

Greetings Leomar

Guest Dirty Uncle Bertie

Icons are good, but I'd hate to see more than half of the portrait covered by them. I suppose the only way to decide what's best is to see how many icons there are likely to be, and then we can decide if we prefer with or without.

I know it is work, but I would like to be able to turn them on and off selectively. In general I am happier without icons, but there is the odd item that I use rarely that doesn't have an icon that I wish did. I wish the improved mace of disruption indicated negative plane protection when you used it, because I keep wasting a spell on my mace wielder by mistake.

I wish I had an icon for 'immune to hold effects' and 'immune to confusion' likewise.

Would it be possible to set things up so that you can toggle your icons on and off?

I wouldn't mind, before a battle, to turn them on before casting protections, and

either keep them on for the battle, or turn them off? I mean this only for icons you get because you have equipped certain items -- I want to immediately see when my Spirit Armour, or Bless Spell has warn off. But with too many abilities coming from equipped items I end up not noticing that I am missing a crucial defence, just because I looked 'full'. Does this make sense?

Not only I doubt that you can turn icons on and off by a hotkey, I also think that it's not really worth the hassle.

Furthermore, it would be pretty much an arbitrary inconsistency (who decides what effects are "worth" the icon and what are not?). It's either all or none.

And I am all for all.

Well there is always the choose which icons to show and which not to within the installation of the mod, but that's way too much hassle. I would suggest to remove all of them(item icons and the positive spells) from the portrait, as you can see them all in the statistic window when you look at the chars stats.

I agree with Jarno about either having icons for all effects (spells&items) or none at all.

He prefers the first, I prefer the second.

The first is however still better than having some icons displayed and some not because of different sources.

Well there is always the choose which icons to show and which not to within the installation of the mod, but that's way too much hassle. I would suggest to remove all of them(item icons and the positive spells) from the portrait, as you can see them all in the statistic window when you look at the chars stats.
Jarno is even more radical than I am! :) The difference is that a permanent equipped effect granted by an item is permanent and not dispellable, thus you may take a look to the statistics window once in a gameplay of a few hours, or never if you already remember what your equipment does! Temporary effects granted by spells instead may be dispelled and/or run out, looking at the statistic window every minute to check if those effects are still there wouldn't be fun imo.

if it is a case of all nothing, I'm with nothing. But I still would prefer 'temporary effects get an icon, things that are permanent (at least until you take a shower) don't'.
This is exactly how it currently is with IR.
Those who dislike having their portrait covered in icons may want to install the appropriate component from BG2Tweaks.

Very true. There is already one Mod that satisfy the needs of such players. Instead there is no way for us to restore them back.

Please consider this too when making your evalutations.

Doesn't that BG2 Tweaks component stop the icons appearing on your character sheet as well as your portrait?
No. A better questions is, does it work with the Item and Spell Revisions.

I want my icons !!
Yes, but you might not want to say that after you put the 6 items, and the 6 defensive spells on the character and it dies, cause you didn't notice that it had just 1 hit point. :)

Archived