Xan's moonblade

lac

If you have Kulyok's Xan in your party, there comes a point in the game when you can upgrade his Moonblade.

The old one has a line

Usable by Xan

in its description. When you upgrade it, you get the new description Not Usable by Druid Cleric Mage Thief Fighter Bard

is this something we are doing? If so, should we add Monk for completeness sake (I checked and a charname who is a monk cannot wield it either, as is correct). Still something seems less than ideal. Xan _is_ a mage, or a fighter/mage with the mod as written, and with level1NPC can be anything.

I liked the BG1 description better:

Not usable by: Anybody but Xan

but is this an IR problem?

Laura

Well...the Moonblade exists even without Kulyok's mod, nd some BG1/BGT players may not use it either (though I do have read great comments about it!).

Furthermore, for IR's standards the Moonblade is outstandingly overpowered. It wasn't a problem in plain BG1 when he was an Enchanter, but Kulyok's mod allows to switch him into a fighter/mage (which is cool imo) making the sword an incredibly unbalanced weapon imo.

It has a +6 total enhancement bonus (+3 enchantment, +1 for AC bonus. +2 for the quite high fire resistance), and the only IR's 1handed weapon with a total enhancement level higher than +5 in SoA are The Equalizer, Crom Fayer and a few Watcher Keep's weapons (which technically isn't SoA anymore).

Furthermore, no offence but the invisibility effect of the upgraded Moonblade is almost a cheat. I removed it from the SotM, and I would never allow such an effect within IR. That being said, the upgraded versions "are not my business". :)

P.S Speaking of the Enchanter, I've recently noticed that there's not a single spell of that school at 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level!! :) I'm quite sure I'll "fix" it in the next SR version by making Power Word: Silence, Blind, Stun, Kill enchantment spells (as per 3rd edition, and it actually makes sense imo).

Please let me know when the Spell Revisions for Enchantment happen. I generally play an enchanter, when I am playing a mage, and have always thought life was unfair.

happy at the prospect,

Laura

Well...the Moonblade exists even without Kulyok's mod, nd some BG1/BGT players may not use it either (though I do have read great comments about it!).

Furthermore, for IR's standards the Moonblade is outstandingly overpowered. It wasn't a problem in plain BG1 when he was an Enchanter, but Kulyok's mod allows to switch him into a fighter/mage (which is cool imo) making the sword an incredibly unbalanced weapon imo.

It has a +6 total enhancement bonus (+3 enchantment, +1 for AC bonus. +2 for the quite high fire resistance), and the only IR's 1handed weapon with a total enhancement level higher than +5 in SoA are The Equalizer, Crom Fayer and a few Watcher Keep's weapons (which technically isn't SoA anymore).

Furthermore, no offence but the invisibility effect of the upgraded Moonblade is almost a cheat. I removed it from the SotM, and I would never allow such an effect within IR. That being said, the upgraded versions "are not my business". :)

Kulyok's Xan does not use the default 'Moonblade +3' .itm file to start with. Making Xan a sorcerer, the only thing that made his weapon stronger than the IR ones available at the time was its +3 enchantment. I had to work a bit to buff him up where he could melee effectively, but I was grateful to have another option to deal with certain golems in the Planar Sphere.

Archived