Unusabilities and Descriptions

Mike1072

I wrote some code the other day a while back to compare items' unusability flags with their '[Not] Usable By:' description blocks. Using a clean install with the main Fixpack component and GTU, I came up with a number of bogus items that were unused or not available for players, along with some real items that need small adjustments to either their descriptions or unusabilities in order to match up with themselves. I also wrote some code to check item unusabilities versus their item type, and came up with some more items that needed adjustments.

I've broken down my initial findings some more and documented the individual changes. I also separated out the description updates between iffy things the GTU has a tendency of doing (adding kit info to descriptions of standard items) and genuine errors. Here you can find an archive containing WeiDU code for patching the usabilities, a .patch file for gtu.tra, and documentation for both. I've duplicated the usability documentation down below so people can point out anything they disagree with.

In my notation below, +X means add the unusability flag, making it unusable by X, while -X means remove the flag and make it usable.

// unusable by clerics, unusable by mages, so why can cleric/mages use it?

+C/M: brac20

// supposed to be usable by warriors or rangers: cleric/rangers are rangers and warriors

-C/R: rods02

-C/R: rods02a

-C/R: rods06

// monks, kensais, and shapeshifters can't wear armor

+DrSh: ttleat

+FtKe: ttleat

+Mo: leat24

+Mo: ttleat

// kensais and thieves can't wear helmets

+FtKe: misca6

+Th: misca6

// kensais and cavaliers can't use ranged weapons

+FtKe: stardart

+PaCa: stardart

// kensais and monks can't use shields

+FtKe: ttshld01

+Mo: ttshld01

// non-magical quest item - no reason wizard slayers should be only ones who can't use

-FtWS: ring37

-FtWS: ring38

// monks, thieves and mage/thieves should be able to wield scimitars

-M/T: dwsw1h01

-M/T: sw1h56

-Mo: dwsw1h01

-Th: dwsw1h01

// monks can only use one-handed weapons that thieves can use

+Mo: enmace

+Mo: enmorn

+Mo: enstaff

+Mo: ensw2h

+Mo: korax01

+Mo: rodmace

+Mo: rodspear

+Mo: sw2h15

// this is a mage-only item

+Mo: ring08

// monks should be able to use priesty items

-Mo: scrl56

-Mo: scrl58

-Mo: scrl59

-Mo: scrl5a

-Mo: scrl5b

-Mo: scrl5c

-Mo: scrl5d

-Mo: scrl5e

-Mo: scrl5f

-Mo: scrl61

-Mo: scrl62

-Mo: scrl63

-Mo: wa2amu

-Mo: wand11

// archers can't wear chainmail, elven or not

+RaAr: clolth

// beast masters can't use metal weapons

+RaBM: blun14g

+RaBM: blun14h

+RaBM: blun14i

+RaBM: enmace

+RaBM: enmorn

+RaBM: ensw1h01

+RaBM: ensw1h02

+RaBM: ensw2h

+RaBM: rodmace

+RaBM: rodspear

+RaBM: rodsword

+RaBM: sw1h15

+RaBM: sw1h16

+RaBM: sw1h68

+RaBM: sw1h69

+RaBM: sw1h76

+RaBM: sw2h15

+RaBM: ttsword1

Good work, mike1072!

Since I highly doubt that we will see an update to this presently discontinued BG2 Fixpack ( :) ), I ask you if such corrections will be included in the next IR version.

With more and more key-mods being abandoned along with the fact that their authors have been missing for months if not years, people like me can only hope that the still active modders will make up for faults that perhaps don't really belong to them.

Good work, mike1072!

Since I highly doubt that we will see an update to this presently discontinued BG2 Fixpack ( :) ), I ask you if such corrections will be included in the next IR version.

With more and more key-mods being abandoned along with the fact that their authors have been missing for months if not years, people like me can only hope that the still active modders will make up for faults that perhaps don't really belong to them.

The items in Item Revision's main component will have similar fixes done to them. I don't plan on including other changes in IR, but I may post actual .tp2 code here as a mini fix mod for these after I get around to checking usability restrictions (perhaps this weekend). It's my hope and belief that the Fixpack will be updated at some point. I posted in this format first since the majority of what I've discovered here is not critically important - I think monks using Grandmaster Armor is the only thing that's been noticed and commented on - so the priority is making sure it gets added to the Fixpack (where it belongs) when the appropriate figures are available to do so.

I don't plan on including other changes in IR, but I may post actual .tp2 code here as a mini fix mod for these after I get around to checking usability restrictions (perhaps this weekend). It's my hope and belief

If you want, you can download our new fixed setup-bg2fixpack.tp2 from here and make the changes in it. This could be the easiest way. After your needed changes, we can updload and all can use the updated file. :thumbsup:

[EDIT]

Better is, if we can get a patch for the tp2 file. :thumbsup:

Greetings Leomar

Okay, I've updated this for hopefully the last time now. Only the core fixes remain. I've separated GTU kit additions from GTU fixes and I've made a complete listing of the reasons for individual changes, so if you disagree with anything, please let me know.

P.S. Yes, this is a shameless attempt to try to get it into v7.

Okay, I've updated this for hopefully the last time now. Only the core fixes remain. I've separated GTU kit additions from GTU fixes and I've made a complete listing of the reasons for individual changes, so if you disagree with anything, please let me know.

P.S. Yes, this is a shameless attempt to try to get it into v7.

I've just finished packaging v7, sorry (should be out tomorrow morning) but I don't mind doing a v8 with these in it in a month or so, if DevSin or someone else Fixpack-associated signs off on them.

This is tough. If they go into the GTU, there's a chance they could get lost in the future (any excuse to get rid of the GTU, just give us one!). If they were to go into the separate string fixes, it would have to be decided whether they should be based off the GTU string or the default, they would all have to be moved over from the GTU, and then we would be at fault for any remaining issues or inconsistencies with the strings.

I'm not averse to including them in the GTU, but those updates are for the most part unverified, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to move all the descriptions into a kosher TRA, have them translated (where applicable), and have to maintain these new strings in the future.

I've just finished packaging v7, sorry (should be out tomorrow morning) but I don't mind doing a v8 with these in it in a month or so, if DevSin or someone else Fixpack-associated signs off on them.

It's great to hear the new version will be ready so soon. Hopefully this stuff will be sorted out by the next version, then.

This is tough. If they go into the GTU, there's a chance they could get lost in the future (any excuse to get rid of the GTU, just give us one!). If they were to go into the separate string fixes, it would have to be decided whether they should be based off the GTU string or the default, they would all have to be moved over from the GTU, and then we would be at fault for any remaining issues or inconsistencies with the strings.

I'm not averse to including them in the GTU, but those updates are for the most part unverified, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to move all the descriptions into a kosher TRA, have them translated (where applicable), and have to maintain these new strings in the future.

I'd be fine with just having them in the GTU. About half of my fixes listed were for issues introduced by the GTU, the rest exist in both. If you'd like at least a partial list of what's inaccurate or incomplete in the vanilla descriptions, I checked a non-GTU'd install and came up with:

BOOT02: +Bd +Pa 
DWSW1H01: -Th // after usabilities are changed
DWXBOW01: -Th 
MISC7N: +Pa +Ra 
MISC9Q: -Th 
PLAT06: -Dr 
PLAT13: +Th 
PLAT20: -Dr 
STAF10: +Bd 
SW1H20: -Th 
SW1H22: -Th 
SW1H23: -Th 
SW1H41: -Th 
SW1H50: -Th 
SW1H52: -Th 
SW1H56: -Th 
SW1H76: -Th 
TTWAND: +Pa +Ra 
WAND02: +Pa +Ra 
WAND04: +Pa +Ra 
WAND05: +Pa +Ra 
WAND06: +Pa +Ra 
WAND07: +Pa +Ra 
WAND09: +Pa +Ra 
WAND10: +Pa +Ra 
WAND11: +Pa +Ra 
WAND13: +Pa +Ra

And... any comments on the usability changes? :(

And... any comments on the usability changes?

No. :(

If you are interested in it, until BG2 Fixpack v8 you could release a Unusability Patch, which the gamer could install after the BG2 Fixpack and before Item Revisions...

Greetings Leomar

Archived