Mages and Pierce Magic

culmore

First let me say I am having a great time playing this mod.

But I am having to "cheat" a bit against mages. Currently I am level 13 and when I come across a mage like Conster in Firkraag's dungeon I need three pierce magic spells (unless I am not understanding something about the spell system). At my level I am only get two sixth level spells and since I only have one wizard in my group I am in trouble. So I cheat and create some extra "pierce magic" scrolls. Conster has been casting three spell shields :

1) Spell Immunity Abjuration or Spell Immunity Evocation or Spell Immunity Divination

2) Globe of invulnerability

3) Spell turning

When I cast pierce shield, Globe of Invulnerability is usually the last shield to come done, maybe just my bad luck, but I have reloaded the fight a few times.

Suggested Solution

============

what if Pierce magic always took down Globe of Invulnerability first??? The I could use Secret word to take down the other spell defences and then finally breach to let my melees finish him off. This would help my current situation for sure though I am not sure if it would cause some other game problems. Also it would be kind of consistent with the graphic for the spell (the circle with an arrow through it). Perhaps the same could be done for pierce shield level 8.

It seems like a good idea to me!

Thanks again for this mod!

If you are willing to cheat, SpellStrike is the best option, for everyone.

Secret Word or Breach after Pierce Magic would work, quite well, I think.

Icen

I'd rather not cheat but at the moment, I cannot see any other way to win with the group/level I am. Also this is one of the quest I should be doing at my level. I use Pierce Magic as it is at least available at my level, with SpellStrike it is all to easy :) Spell Strike, breach, melee = dead mage!

Can secret word get through a Globe of Invulnerability, secret word is 4th level and a globe blocks 4th level and below spells. So I think no. Also piece magic does not bring down the globe first if it did then I would not be having a problem. Or at least it does not always bring down the globe first.

But then I could be doing it wrongly. Or non optimally.

Thanks for replying.

No, that is Minor Globe, Normal Globe blocks all 6th and below.

Icen

Minor Globe of Invulnerability is a 4th level spell and blocks spells of 3rd level and lower.

Globe of Invulnerability is a 6th level spell and blocks spells of 4th level and lower.

Hmm, strange. If I'm understand your posting correctly your problem is losing the Globe of Invulnerability? Afaik all antimagic spells will remove the highest protection first. When you have two Pierce Magic spells avaible the order would be Spell Turning, then GoI. Are you sure there aren't any other spell protections of 6th level or higher active?

Hmm, strange. If I'm understand your posting correctly your problem is losing the Globe of Invulnerability? Afaik all antimagic spells will remove the highest protection first. When you have two Pierce Magic spells avaible the order would be Spell Turning, then GoI. Are you sure there aren't any other spell protections of 6th level or higher active?

I see, that helps thanks. So if he is casting three spell protection, namely:

Spell turning (Level 7), GoI (Level 6), and Spell Immunity (Level 5)

then I'd can counter with:

Pierce Magic. Peirce Magic and finally secret word.

But I cannot counter with

Secret Word, Pierce Shield, Secret Word.

as the GoI will block the first secret word.

I tried this and it seems to work. Many Thanks

Uh... when there are several spell protections of the same level active the one to be dispelled is chosen at random. Btw, you can get rid of all Spell Immunities by casting Spell Thrust, if there is no GoI to block it.

Right I think I am with you. So if the enemy mage casts:

I can counter with

1) Pierce Magic - gets rid of the Spell turning)

2) Pierce magic - gets rid of the GoI)

3) Secret word or Spell Trust - to get rid of the spell immunity.

PS I had incorrectly written in my previous post that Spell Immunity was level 6 but I changed that to level 5 ,as it is a level 5 spell.

Thanks

Uh... when there are several spell protections of the same level active the one to be dispelled is chosen at random. Btw, you can get rid of all Spell Immunities by casting Spell Thrust, if there is no GoI to block it.

I can counter with

PS I had incorrectly written in my previous post that Spell Immunity was level 6 but I changed that to level 5 ,as it is a level 5 spell.

Thanks

Yeah, that would work. Actually the spell description should give you a list of spells which can be dispelled if used.

Guest amanasleep

I can counter with

Thanks

Yeah, that would work. Actually the spell description should give you a list of spells which can be dispelled if used.

Guest amanasleep

I can counter with

Thanks

Actually that should not work because Pierce Magic only dispels 6th level or lower spells. It should dispel the GoI, however, without being affected by Spell Turning. Once the GoI is gone you should be able to follow up with Secret Word and Spell Thrust to get rid of Spell Turning and Spell Immunity.

But you say that 2x Pierce Magic + Secret Word works? In that case I am curious what else Pierce Magic works against, as it is not supposed to work against Spell Turning.

Guest amanasleep

Of course, it occurs to me that this would work thusly:

Pierce Magic #1 dispels GoI

Pierce Magic #2 dispels Spell Immunity

Secret Word dispels Spell Turning

Still not certain why 2x PM should be necessary though.

Guest amanasleep

Sorry again, but why do you need to remove anything other than Spell Turning? Neither GoI nor Spell Immunity affect Breach. If Pierce Magic actually dispels Spell Turning despite its description, then you should be casting:

Pierce Magic (dispels Spell Turning)

Breach

Beat down

OTOH, if PM does not affect Spell Turning then it's actually a decent defense, but even then you can get away with:

Pierce Magic dispels GoI

Breach

Beat Down (ignore SI:whatever)

Sorry again, but why do you need to remove anything other than Spell Turning? Neither GoI nor Spell Immunity affect Breach. If Pierce Magic actually dispels Spell Turning despite its description, then you should be casting:

Pierce Magic (dispels Spell Turning)

Breach

Beat down

OTOH, if PM does not affect Spell Turning then it's actually a decent defense, but even then you can get away with:

Pierce Magic dispels GoI

Breach

Beat Down (ignore SI:whatever)

Good question! He casts either Spell Immunity:Abjuration OR Spell Immunity:Divinitation

if it is Spell Immunity:Divination then you need to get rid of this before you can target for a breach. Otherwise you get the message "Cannot target invisible creatures". Took me ages to figure this out I thought for a while my games was bugged.

If it is Spell Immunity:Abjuration then I believe this blocks breach, as breach is from the Abjuration Magic school so you need to bring this shield down. S

Either way all three shields have to come down, I think. Plz correct me if this is wrong.

PS If he cast Spell Immunity:Evocation or Spell Immunity:Conj then you would be correct. But scsII is too smart for that!

Archived