Assertion error 1536 on a Mac with G3 fixpack -- please help!

Guest Mudlark

Guest Mudlark

Hi there. Fairly new to all this, so please excuse my ignorance. I've recently decided to play through BG2 again on my Mac, an old Powerbook G4. Downloaded WeiDU and the G3 fixpack, which is the only mod I have installed.

The problem's this: I'm still in Irenicus' dungeon, but every time I hit the rest button I get a CTD with the message "An Assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1536." This has only started happening recently -- after about 2 days in-game-time -- but now it happens every time. I've searched the forums for this error and it seems to be a bugged item, but I can't find any fixes for this specific rest-related crash: can anyone offer any help? Can post logs etc with a little talking-through-how-to-do-it. Thanks in advance for anything you can manage.

Guest Mudlark
Hi there. Fairly new to all this, so please excuse my ignorance. I've recently decided to play through BG2 again on my Mac, an old Powerbook G4. Downloaded WeiDU and the G3 fixpack, which is the only mod I have installed.

The problem's this: I'm still in Irenicus' dungeon, but every time I hit the rest button I get a CTD with the message "An Assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1536." This has only started happening recently -- after about 2 days in-game-time -- but now it happens every time. I've searched the forums for this error and it seems to be a bugged item, but I can't find any fixes for this specific rest-related crash: can anyone offer any help? Can post logs etc with a little talking-through-how-to-do-it. Thanks in advance for anything you can manage.

Guest Mudlark

Sorry, double post. No replies to this, so I'm posting the way I eventually got around it in case it can be of use to someone else. Trial and error yielded the result that once I'd uninstalled the game text update in the G3 fixpack, it stopped crashing to desktop when I rested. Core fixes are in: everything else is out.

Just in case it helps.

Archived