problem with map

pmadden1

Does it crash instantly or do you get the load screen first?

i get the load screen, then it crashes.

It's probaly this again: *click* The area tilesets have not been unpacked during the install. I'm not sure why the unpack.bat has failed to execute during the weidu install process. It has never happened to me. I think you're the fourth person to report this, so thankfully it's not a terribly common issue. Although that's four instances too many. :thumbsup:

I truely appreciate your response to my inquiry. I am not sure from your reply exactly what you are suggesting I try. Are you suggesting I should uninstall and reinstall the module?

First you should try to check if it is indeed a case of tilesets not being unpacked. Can you hear Amber's voicing during gameplay? If you can not that is the first sign that something is wrong. The same bat-file unpacks both voicing and area graphics.

For clarification I quote myself here:

----------------------------

The mysterious "tilesets not unpacking" -issue

At this point I don't know why this is happening for some (at least for two) users.

If the game crashes during load screen after you use 'the map' in Amber's third quest, it indicates that the area graphics (tilesets) were not unpacked during the installation. Because the unpacking has to be handled via a separate .bat file instead of in WeiDU the installation won't stop even if there's an error. If you come across this issue any information you can provide would be very helpful:

During gameplay, can you hear the Amber's voicing?

During gameplay, can you hear Amber's custom music playing during Amber's talks?

(So that I know if it's just the tilesets or audio as well that's refusing to unpack.)

Is there a file called tisunpack.exe in your override folder?

Is there a file called m#ar01.tiz or m#ar01.tis in your override folder?

What version of widows you're running? Or are you a Mac user? (this doen't seem to be relevant, though)

What firewall and/or antivirus program you have? (I ask because I suspect that it's possible that a overzealous safety program or setting might prevent unknown .bat files from prompting programs, like tisunpack.exe. Though, that didn't seem to be the cause in SkyWolfs case.)

Can I have a copy of Amber's debugfile (setup-amber.debug), before you do any uninstalling? You can send it to <amber@welho.net>.

Can I have a copy of weidu.log? (I don't think that this is a conflict issue, but since I have no clue what's causing this it's better to look for even to unlikely suspects.)

In some cases simply uninstalling and then installing Amber again has solved the issue (Ie. the tilesets failing to unpack has been simply a very, very annoying hiccup.)

If you do uninstall and install again, can you please take a look on the text displayed in the command prompt window, before WeiDU asks if you want to install the multiplayer friendly flirting? If you see a long list that indicates what tile number has been converted and below the list a text that informs that so and so many tiles has been converted with method 0, so and so with method 1 etc. the tilesets have been successfully converted. If and when there's an error or warning text can you tell me what it says? (Unfortunately the .bat file that prompts the unpacking of the audio and area graphics can't be made to create an debug log of itself like WeiDU does.)

I can hear Amber's voice during game play. Now what?

Go to the main bg folder in you hardrive. Open the override folder.

Is there a file called tisunpack.exe in your override folder?

Is there a file called m#ar01.tiz or m#ar01.tis in your override folder?

If the m#ar01.tis file is in the override folder, I have no idea why the game crashes. Perhaps you should take an earlier savegame and try again.

Meira, thank you so much for attempting to help me. No file tisunpack.exe, m#ar01.tiz or m#ar01.tis can be found in the override folder. what now?

Then you can only try to uninstall the mod and try installing it again. It might be worthwhile to try downloading and extracting the mod again from the package. I don't think this failure is due to incomplete file extraction, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. Keep an eye for any error messages.

Before you install, you can check that the amber-folder in you main bg2 directory contains a folder called areas. In the areas folder you should see files named from m#ar01 to m#ar06 (four of each with extension .are .mos .tiz and .wed).

This is interesting, by the way. If I remember correctly all other 3 people reporting this problem have been missing the voicing too. So in you case, the .bat was partially executed.

Meira, thank you so much for attempting to help me. No file tisunpack.exe, m#ar01.tiz or m#ar01.tis can be found in the override folder. what now?

Then you can only try to uninstall the mod and try installing it again. It might be worthwhile to try downloading and extracting the mod again from the package. I don't think this failure is due to incomplete file extraction, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. Keep an eye for any error messages.

Before you install, you can check that the amber-folder in you main bg2 directory contains a folder called areas. In the areas folder you should see files named from m#ar01 to m#ar06 (four of each with extension .are .mos .tiz and .wed).

This is interesting, by the way. If I remember correctly all other 3 people reporting this problem have been missing the voicing too. So in you case, the .bat was partially executed.

I tried reinstalling Amber, and got a message saying "fatal error"; "unable to find file dialog.talk".

I'm going to surrender. Too bad I'll never get to play Amber to completion. Thanks for all your help Meira.

That error means the setup-amber.exe is not in you main BG2 directory. Most likely you have extracted the mod into a wrong directory. When you have successfully extracted the mod package you downloaded, the main BG2 directory (where dialog.tlk is located) should contain setup-amber.exe setup-amber.tp2 and a folder called amber.

I'm sorry if you give up on Amber, but I just wanted to make clear that "unable to find dialog.tlk" is not a failure in a mod.

You were right again, Meira. I did not have the files in the correct directory. I put them in the BG2 directory and--SUCCESS!! I got the map to load the area and am playing Amber again. Thanks again for all your help. You really went the extra mile, and I greatly appreciate it.

Hi!

I have a similar problem.

I have read the map and gotten to Ymmyrts backyard and fought his guards and Lorraine. I then go inside his house but immediately as I come into his hallway the game crashes. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but the same problem occurs.

I have tried to pause the game when being in this area and have even explored the full area with the help of CLUAConsole. I have also had a love banter with Jaheira inside.

Where do I go from here?

Edit: I have also confirmed that I have the required files in my override folder, I can also hear Ambers voicing in game.

Archived