Items re-allocation

Demivrgvs

Looks like I have two instances of Bala's Axe and Staff of Striking, from other mods.
The Staff of Striking isn't a unique item, only a rare one, but multiple Bala's Axe should not exist indeed. We can probably fix it as long as those mods adding it are installed before the reallocating component.

I think you might give yourself a huge ammount of work if you decide to go this route...many mods will create extra versions of (supposedly) unique weapons. Covering them all is nigh impossible (I don't know if a code could be written to take any weapon into account and delete the extra weapon, and replace it with a simple +x weapon) and could easilly lead to breaking mod stuff. A mod (maybe Callisto) introduces Serpent Shaft (ToB item, level 4 WK) into Underdark.

BP introduces the very same item in a quest as well.

Removing those makes the battles involved easier by default, and I don't think that's a good idea.

Essentialy, it is (imo) beyond the scope of IR

What ancalimohtar posted here are 2 examples (even if I don't think Angelo is such a commonly installed mod - not that it's a bad one), but there are so many more, moreover in Megamod installs .

I think you might give yourself a huge ammount of work if you decide to go this route...many mods will create extra versions of (supposedly) unique weapons. Covering them all is nigh impossible (I don't know if a code could be written to take any weapon into account and delete the extra weapon, and replace it with a simple +x weapon) and could easilly lead to breaking mod stuff. A mod (maybe Callisto) introduces Serpent Shaft (ToB item, level 4 WK) into Underdark.

BP introduces the very same item in a quest as well.

Removing those makes the battles involved easier by default, and I don't think that's a good idea.

Essentialy, it is (imo) beyond the scope of IR

What ancalimohtar posted here are 2 examples (even if I don't think Angelo is such a commonly installed mod - not that it's a bad one), but there are so many more, moreover in Megamod installs .

Yeah, I think you're right. Probably best to focus resources on other fixes rather than code in specific "if X mod also installed then..." code with every other mod out there.

Moreover, modifying item allocations of other mods already has a bad precedent - the unique item mod/bp-balancer.

That mod took it's jackhammer approach to other mods, without regard of the consequences. Which resulted in such "funny" things like replacing Cromwell-like forged items from the Thalantyr mod for the BG1 part of BGT with utterly worthless ones (e.g. you forged a ring of protection+2 for thousands of gold pieces and several valuable gems and received a gold/silver ring instead).

10th

Hey Ardanis,

If you still plan to relaease a BG1 item realocation/store revisions, I would like to share my opinon and some observations :

At first sight , I would dare to say that there is not so much things to do considering BG1 magicals items are balanced and rare.

1- I would begin to add some convenient items :

- Add rod of resurection to Thalantyr : it's very boring to have to come back in town everytime one of your character is dead in a wild area...

- Add gem bag, scroll case, potion case, Ammo Belt and bag of holding to Thalantyr or in sword coast. (1 or 2 example of each)

===> BGTTWEAK component already do that.

- Add Bag of Plenty, case of plenty and quiver of plenty to Taerom. (infinity of non magical ammo, very conveninent, again 1 or 2 example of each)

==> THe BG2 tweak component "Exotic Items Pack" do that.

- Add BG2 spells to BG1 shops (BGT only). Like the related Anomaly Tweak pack component:

"In BGT, you get access to BG2 spells for druid and clerics, but you have no access to BG2 wizard spells, except at character creation or when playing a sorcerer. This component will remedy to this, and will add all BG2 specific wizard spells up to level 3 to Thalantyr, and all BG2 specific wizard spells up to level 5 to the Sorcerous Sundries shop."

2 - Add one example of all +2 standards weapons/armor/shield to Taerom and also one special example of all under represented weapons but at a very high price.

===> Huge disruption about the vanilla game but I think it's worth to think about it.

The fact that there is a iron crisis in the sword coast should make magical items (especially weapons, armors and shields) expensive of course but not absolutely rare. (Winthop say that he have made effords to keep price low but don't speak about rarity)

So maybe the weapons/shields/armors sell by Taerom should be sell at x2 or x3 the standard price.

I would recommend this component because It could be nice to be able to buy a decent weapons and not have to wait before reaching Baldur's gate or Durlag tower to have a decent one. Many players may also don't like to do the game at 100% and it could be quite boring to miss the item+2 you want because you decided to not explore Ulcaster Ruins or Durlag Tower.

If you don't want to put to many magical items on BG1, maybe you can just focus about adding a special +2 example of each underrpresented items to Taerom.

I think Underrepresented items are : katana, ninja Too, Wakizashi, sling, morning star, mace, flail, staff, spear

3- Maybe you could care a little bit about the compatibility with Item randomiser.

I mean there is not so much magical items in BG1 so I don't think moving them would add so much a new experiencen, contrary to BG2.

4 - Please, remove the ankheg armor and the arcane ring we can find in wild area.

4 - Please, remove the ankheg armor and the arcane ring we can find in wild area.
Why is everyone so against the ring being where it is ? The armor is understandable as it's meant to be made, not found... but the ring is just... k, if it's elsewhere, that I can understand, but removing it entirely is no, NO !!!

And by the way, do not make the diamonds and the other gems/books disappear completely either, as that's just a bad idea in itself. The items were there to be looted by adventures, not because they make the character overpowered by any standards. They might make the game easier, yeah, but getting yourself killed 10 times just to find a non enchanted sword is no reward.

Without commenting on whether this is a good idea or not, you can handle other mods fairly smoothly and without worrying about install order, as follows:

Suppose ring22 is a supposedly-unique item that you want to handle.

(i) change the name and description of ring22.itm to something generic, without changing its powers.

(ii) create a copy of ring22, sat dvring22, with whatever unique name and description you want.

(iii) replace all instances of ring22 in the unmodded game with either your new item, or whatever you want to replace it with.

Then on the unmodded game ring22 will have entirely disappeared, but any mods that use it still have access to a fully functional version that differs only cosmetically from the original.

Honestly I don't see a point in pursuing compatibility with randomizer... Both mods' philosophies are nearly opposite to each other, and trying to install both at once is like setting fire underwater. I.e. it can be done, but requires an inordinate amount of effort.

What I have instead in mind is to introduce a random factor in distribution of ordinary items (scrolls, potions, non-unique equipment etc). E.g. in Thalantyr's store you may find 1-3 potions of Absorbtion and 1-2 copies of level 3 wizard spells. Same for ammo and equipment, i.e. you'll always find a particular thing at a certain stage of the game, but whether it'll be in abundance or in shortage is another question.

As for the hidden stashes, their concept will be expanded a bit...

Demi casts Resurrection. :D

This ancient topic was created for V3 before Arda took complete control of Store Revisions. I do think he did a phenomenal job, but the problem is that on this matter I've been "left behind" and now I find myself in trouble both documenting and updating the component.

Short story: can somebody help me out? Is the list on the first post of this topic still valid or completely outdated? I theory all the data could be taken from the mod files, but it's an extremely time consuming task (try to open it, you'll discover why) and I simply do not have the time to track down every single item there. :(

If nobody else hasn't already silently started this project, I will do it. But I need the newest files, I only have ones from V3 Beta. I have checked both item re-allocation and store revision files and it should be quite easy job, though time consuming, but I have time this weekend.

@Salk, don't be surprised, 90% of beta testers don't even report feedback at all. :D Fortunately I have like 70-80 testers and among them some really really helpful ones, but what I'm asking for is a boring and really time consuming task, thus it's fine if nobody is willing to do it.

If nobody else hasn't already silently started this project, I will do it. But I need the newest files, I only have ones from V3 Beta. I have checked both item re-allocation and store revision files and it should be quite easy job, though time consuming, but I have time this weekend.

Your help would be really welcome! I'll send you a PM for V4. :) CrevsDaak kindly offered himself to help with coding BG1 Store Rev, but he cannot do all the job by himself. Kreso is already too busy testing all the stuff and random ideas I throw at him, and my personal to-do list is longer than you can imagine (especially for SR and KR), but I will gladly provide any help I can give.

I'm actually not understanding what's being asked. Do you mean, check to see whether v4 is successfully placing all of the items where the 1st post indicated they should be placed? Just comb through the .cre and .sto files in NI? Or do you need people to check things out in-game?

Side note, is v4 making it so the only way to get Karajah's Armor is to kill Hendak? :( (Btw if Hendak is prisoner in a cell, why would Lehtinan allow him to keep that enchanted armor? This one confuses me - and disappoints me if it means I can't get that armor in a 'good' playthrough.)

Archived